1 2
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/20/23 9:27 a.m.

While we have a Pass/Fail thread for Harbor Freight things, I didn't see one for non-HF power tools, so I figured I'd make one. HF stuff CAN be included here, as long as it's a power tool. Let's stick to just power tools for this one, whether they are battery powered or plug into the wall. 

I'll start:

Ryobi 1/2" Impact Gun (PBLIW01B): PASS

Over the weekend, I decided to swap the "3-season" tires back on my Forte GT, so I started getting all my tools out, and noticed that my trusty Ryobi P261 300 ft lb impact gun was not working correctly. It was cutting out at random, so the decision was made to replace it with a new one. Since I've already invested in the Ryobi ecosystem, I decided to get the extra beefy flavored PBLIW01B with the 1170 ft lb rating. They offer 3 guns now, including a middle of the road 600ft lb model. I figured this extra powerful one could replace both the broken one and my 800 ft lb air gun, so it was worth paying extra for. 

Side by side, the new one makes the old one look like a kid's toy. It's bigger, beefier, and slightly heavier, but still manageable and lighter than my air gun. I ran the same 4AH battery with it, like I did with the old one. Other differences include a friction ring vs the ball retainer to hold the socket on, a more cushioned grip, and 4 modes instead of 3. It has modes 1-3 like the old one, but also includes a 4th Auto Mode. 

So, how is it? It's WAY more powerful than my old one! I was ripping lug nuts off on setting 2 about twice as fast than I would on setting 3 with the old gun. Auto mode did its thing well, but I preferred setting 2 for this job. I can't wait to use it on some bigger jobs to really put it through its paces. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/23 1:05 p.m.

I give a passing grade to my Milwaukee M12 Compact Inflator. It’s the right size, easy to use and hasn’t let me down.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/23 1:05 p.m.

Plus I like how it easily stores its cord and features a brass, screw-on chuck. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/21/23 10:29 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I also bought a Ryobi tire inflator when I got the impact gun. I'll get a review up after I mess with it a bit. 

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
3/22/23 12:06 a.m.

I really like my Ryobi cordless 18V stuff. Inflator, impact gun, work light, drills, and a string trimmer. Great stuff! I liked them so much, I bought a cordless Ryobi mower, and it's kind of awful. Really cheap, it doesn't mow well, and the handle started to fall apart right away. At least it's light and it always starts...

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
3/23/23 9:54 a.m.

I've been preaching the gospel of RIGID 18v tools on the forum lately.  Massive PASS.  They are a crazy good value when caught on sale at HD.  I've got less than $500 invested in a 1300ft-lb 1/2" impact, a cordless grinder, a stubby 3/8" impact, and three 4ah batteries by watching the HD Special Deals.  Bonus is that the RIGID batteries work well with the RYOBI tools with a cheap amazon adapter.  I'll give a full review of the actual tools I have another time.

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/23/23 10:06 a.m.

Corded harbor freight oscillating tool, massive FAIL. Uses an Allen head bolt to keep the blades on, for about 30 seconds.

On the other hand, the kobalt one with a lever lock is freaking spectacular.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/23/23 1:18 p.m.

Funny that this should come up. I'm in the process of replacing my old cordless hand tools, which were a mix of old Dewalt from the Ni-Cad era and newer Worx and Black and Decker stuff that I acquired along the way. The Dewalt are still great tools, and I've been able to keep them going with adapters to use the newer lithium ion batteries, but they are pretty bulky, and the only working batteries I have now are cheapo Amazon replacements that don't last that long.

After taking a long look at newer Dewalt and Milwaukee, I decided I don't need that level of tool for my homeowner tasks and settled on the Ryobi ONE+ 18V system. They are much cheaper than the yellow and red stuff, and they have a huge variety of things that use that battery platform, which incidentally dates back to 1996. So far I've replaced my hand drills and small impacts, plus I have a mini blower/inflator and a reciprocating saw. Still have a few more things on the list, but my Home Depot card has taken enough of a beating this month, so I'm holding off for now. I'm going with the ONE+ HP where I can, which is the higher line with brushless motors, and that 1/2" impact Tony mentioned is near the top of my list.

A good place to buy Ryobi as well as other stuff is Direct Tools Outlet, they have a lot of factory blemished and reconditioned stuff. Though, if you watch the sales at Home Depot, you can often get the same price for new tools, especially in bundles.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/23/23 4:37 p.m.

In reply to RacerBoy75 :

The ryobi mowers can be hit or miss and is very model specific.  Do you by chance know which model it is?  I used to be an engineer on that team so hoping it's not one of my mowers.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
3/23/23 4:49 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I was just coming in here to say that the Ryobi mower we got last summer has been great. I don't recall which model it is, but it's one of the higher end dual-blade self-propelled ones that came with two big 40V batteries.

On the subject of Ryobi 40V, I've also had good luck with the snowblower (though mine is not self-propelled, and it does take considerable effort to push in heavy snow), and the recently-acquired 18" chainsaw. The saw is ridiculously powerful compared with my old Shindaiwa gas one.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/23/23 4:54 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

The 21" mowers I was heavily involved in the manufacturing launch.  The AWD mower was the project I was running... it's a good mower but I didn't sleep very well in 2021 because of it.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
3/23/23 5:27 p.m.

Just looking at the Home Depot website, ours is definitely one of the 21" Whisper-series models, but not the AWD. Ya done good....

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 Reader
3/23/23 10:54 p.m.

40V 20 inch mower; model RY401011VNM. Not self propelled.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Dork
3/23/23 11:00 p.m.

In reply to RacerBoy75 :

oooh yeah they have gotten much, much better since that mower.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
3/24/23 10:58 a.m.

So far my power tool experiences have all been passes. A couple highlights:

HF grinder - the cheap one:

I bought this when I started cleaning up my stock car because it was the cheapest grinder I could get in town. It's not crazy powerful but it has done everything I have asked it to do and it has done it well. I've put it through a lot and it keeps on going. When it dies someday I'll surely buy another.

Ryobi Inflator:

A couple years ago I got my first set of power tools and I decided to go Ryobi. Last year I bought their dual function inflator and I probably use it more than any other power tool. It works very well for large car and truck tires, and it has decent battery life - one 4ah battery uses up about half a charge inflating four NASCAR tires from flat. When the car is sitting on the tires, it usually takes close to 10 minutes minutes to fill them up. All you do is set the desired pressure and walk away. The air mattress function also works very well and I use it more than I would have expected. I love this thing, especially since I don't have a regular air compressor.

3/24/23 12:57 p.m.
AMiataCalledSteve said:

So far my power tool experiences have all been passes. A couple highlights:

HF grinder - the cheap one:

I bought this when I started cleaning up my stock car because it was the cheapest grinder I could get in town. It's not crazy powerful but it has done everything I have asked it to do and it has done it well. I've put it through a lot and it keeps on going. When it dies someday I'll surely buy another.

I went through 3 of those and then bought a DeWalt. But they got a lot of use here in the land of rust, cutting off suspension fasteners and such. I probably should have let them cool off periodically, then the smoke would have stayed inside where it belongs.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
3/27/23 11:11 a.m.

As promised...

Ryobi P747 Dual Function Inflator: PASS

I was able to mess with this thing over the weekend, and it's great. It has two modes: one for air mattresses and inflatable stuff (think pool floats) and another for tires. It comes with adapters for sports balls, small inflatables, and even a presta valve adapter for bikes with presta valve stems. I used it on my bike (which happens to have presta valves) and it worked perfectly. It'll tell you how much PSI is in the tire, you set it to what you want it to be, and it gets it there and shuts off. Easy to use and it does what it's supposed to, and it does it quickly!

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
4/18/23 8:10 a.m.

Picked this work light up last night, and from a functionality standpoint it's a definite pass.

It stands up on its base with the light flipped in any direction, so it can be used as a downward facing work table lamp without blinding you, and it has hooks and mounting holes in the back so you can hang it under your hood or lift or mount it under a shelf for easy retrieval. I'm impressed with the thoughtful layout and it's super bright. Up until now, a lot of my driveway car work has been done with one of these:

Which, as a standalone flashlight, gets a marginal pass. It's awkwardly shaped and not very ergonomic to hold, and while the black light housing swivels to allow you to change the angle of the light there are just so many much better form factors for flashlights out there. It works, but it's not a great design. For automotive work though, it's definitely a fail: it's too awkward to try to get the light where you need it. The new work light will be a definite improvement.

4/19/23 10:10 a.m.

Ryobi P2907VNM 8" shrubbery trimmer:

FAIL. Bought it brand new a bit over a month ago. Last night my wife attempted to use it once, and the minute the blades touched a branch, it stopped and the magic smoke came out. It's been just a bit too long for me to return it to the Depot, so I have initiated a warranty claim with Ryobi. The freaking blades didn't even have a chance to get dirty. Had to be a manufacturing defect.

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/19/23 12:18 p.m.

I am sure you Ryobi fans will watch this in the spirit in which it is intended.

https://www.tiktok.com/@epictools/video/7211811043809496325

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/19/23 12:21 p.m.

I am kind of all in on Milwaulkee because I had to move from Craftsman to something. I have a lot of trouble with the switches which are what fail on every one of my drills. I have returned five of them with bad switches. Anyone else have this problem? Might have to move to Ryobi.

Scotty Con Queso
5/5/23 1:46 p.m.

Here's the PASS for me at a similiar price.  1/4-inch RIGID 1300-ftlbs breakaway.  This thing is mean.  Removed rusted subgrade bolts with ease.  And impossible to beat for $229 with a 4AH battery and charger:

RIDGID 18V Brushless Cordless 4-Mode 1/2 in. High-Torque Impact Wrench Kit with 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger R86212KN - The Home Depot

Scotty Con Queso
5/5/23 1:48 p.m.

My second pass from RIGID.  3/8 stubby.  Also pretty mean and has become a go to when in the garage.  It's one of my favorite tools ever.

RIDGID 18V SubCompact Brushless Cordless 3/8 in. Impact Wrench (Tool Only) with Belt Clip R87207B - The Home Depot

Scotty Con Queso
5/5/23 1:50 p.m.

Okay last one of the day.  RIGID tire inflator.  Win with a critique.  This thing has made inflating tires a breeze.  Especially bikes and other toys that keep me from firing up my wake the dead air compressor.  My complaint is that the nozzle on this thing isn't the best and you have to attach it just right to the valve stem or it doesn't seal.

RIDGID 18V Cordless Digital Inflator (Tool Only) R87044 - The Home Depot

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago UberDork
5/5/23 2:19 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

This is something I should probably buy. I only have a bike pump and a 12v inflator I carry in my Xterra. No actual garage-based pumps. 

In the spirit of the thread, I have this Ryobi 1/4" impact driver and I love it. Makes short work of any reasonably sized wood screws and drills small holes (<3/8") in thin metal well: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-HP-18V-Brushless-Cordless-1-4-in-4-Mode-Impact-Driver-Tool-Only-PBLID02B/314109535

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k55Jq06OuTfGhHgKnTmYw281AROK6udUNgjmiP0tahw0t2YOdwgOMBxkXY0VnREB