DocRob Reader
5/5/23 2:51 p.m.

I am on the Ryobi 18v system here.

Brushed Cordless Drill - Pass

Brushed 3/8" Impact gun - Pass

Brushed 5.5" circular saw - Pass

Brushless 4.5" angle grinder - Pass

Basic tring trimmer - Pass

10"  'Snow Shovel' - Unknown (haven't tested it yet) 

My only Ryobi tool I'm meh on - 1-gallon air compressor. If it were 3-5 gallons it would be perfect. But at 1-gallon it just doesn't have enough capacity. For pretty much anything. I can't fill 4 car tires to 40psi without waiting for it, I can't blow out my 10x20' garage with 40psi without having to wait, air tools? Three 5-second bursts and then I'm waiting. And it would be one thing if it filled that gallon in a short time, but the compressor takes about 75-seconds to fill 1-gallon to 100psi. It works for small hobbyist things. When I bought it, my garage then had a 10a breaker to run lights and no other power, so everything had to be cordless. But I'm not sure I wouldn't have been better off buying the inflator and a 5-gallon tank. 

DocRob
DocRob Reader
5/18/23 10:11 a.m.

So, I'll add to this list, since I added a new tool. 

I picked up the Ryobi HP Plus One Handed Reciprocating Saw (sawzall) - https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/33287190614

I needed it to help tear down some heavy duty pallets topped with multiple pieces of 30x40" 3/4" ply. I haven't owned a sawzall for awhile (I know, I feel bad enough already) because my needs were being met with existing tools. But I couldn't get an angle grinder in to chop through nails in these pallets. 

I'll be honest, I had low expectations, I just hoped the tool would be 'good enough' for this task. Along with being able to handle some light tree pruning around the house.

It turns out, that this thing is a little BEAST. Not only did it make short work of tearing pallets down. I needed to cut four sheets along the long axis (40"). Rather than swap to my 5.5" circular and cut each of them individually, I clamped them together and put this thing to the test. With just a 6" blade and a fresh battery, I ripped a 40" cut through 4-sheets of 3/4" ply simultaneously. It used about half the battery to do it. But it took me about 3 minutes and that includes moving around to get an even cut. 

This is my new favorite power tool. I've used a lot of two-handed sawzalls over the years and jammed and broken a number of cordless (and even a few cheaper corded) ones. This is the first cordless sawzall I've had that I felt was a match for a proper heavy duty corded sawzall. Get you one. This one will go along on junkyard runs. I'll still take the 4.5" angle grinder with me too, but I bet this compact saw gets more work. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
5/18/23 12:08 p.m.

After my old NiCad 1/2" Harbor Freight impact died, I started wondering how my seasonal tire changes would go. 

I had a Milwaukee M12 PEX Expansion tool with two batteries that would probably spend most its life not doing anything. 

I was concerned that the batteries might die due to lack of use. I've got Ryobi 18v as well, but really wanted to keep those expensive M12 batteries in good shape. Also have an old Craftsman 19.2v set but the 1/4" HEX is the only thing worth keeping around anymore. 

So I went out and got the new 3/8" M12 Ratchet and 3/8" Impact stubby. 

Both are AWESOME. I love how powerful they are in such a small package. The little impact has no trouble winging off lugnuts on my cars. We'll see how it does on the truck, but I'm not worried. I also like that the power is adjustable, so it doesn't always need to apply all the ugga duggas. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sNSniJfG98zw982LCuriCyPcnN9TVkTwloICXqFwV7zDbzZYPGVrvObClSAwYzeY