2 3 4
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/12/20 8:15 a.m.

Having trouble deciding between the 5000 and 7000 as I want to bring it to the track so small is good, but if I can lift my F250 occasionally it wouldn't be a bad thing. Why are decisions so hard?laugh

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/12/20 8:17 a.m.

In reply to engiekev :

Damn... that's tempting... then I'll just need a 4-post to complete my lift collection...  frown

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/12/20 8:34 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to engiekev :

Damn... that's tempting... then I'll just need a 4-post to complete my lift collection...  frown

So you can do this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCPorWAQRCE Ditto.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/12/20 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

LoL.  Probably not... but you never know. 

Kendall_Jones
Kendall_Jones HalfDork
11/12/20 9:01 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:

Having trouble deciding between the 5000 and 7000 as I want to bring it to the track so small is good, but if I can lift my F250 occasionally it wouldn't be a bad thing. Why are decisions so hard?laugh

I bought the 7000 pound version a few years ago.  Have expedition and race car.  Made my own truck adapters for the expedition.  They are heavy but not a total PITA.  I found them super handy for race car alignments, I can go up and down a million times changing corner weights, etc.  I've only used it a few times on the expedition - I actually found it quicker to put on the snow tires with just a floor jack.  The one tricky thing is that they scissor forward as you lift - so its really easy to get the adapters in the wrong place (especially with the truck adapters as they follow a bigger arc) and then have to go up and down to reset the blocks.

I kinda wish they made just a 2500 pound capacity aluminum version for track use.

RedGT
RedGT Dork
11/12/20 10:54 a.m.

After about 7 years, the quick connects on my quickjack are finally weeping some.  I realized...I NEVER disconnect them any more.  Might make sense to just get a few female-female couplers and replace the leaking connectors as they fail.  right now it's 2 out of the 4, and one on each line, so I'd even still have functional quick disconnect ability in a pinch.  Until another fails.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
11/13/20 11:02 a.m.

I bit the bullet and ordered the 7000s.  Excited to give them a try, just have to decide which vehicle to work on first (probably going to be the Suburban, but the Atlas is the one that seems iffy on how they will fit, and is soon due for an oil change).

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
11/6/21 10:14 a.m.

Any updated experiences on these? I realized a couple of weeks ago when I changed the oil on my Forte that there could be a better solution. That and I'm getting older.

Now that I have an ND, I'd like an easier way to do maintenance, change brake and suspension parts, etc.

Does the 7k lb version lift higher than the 5k lb version? I heard the 7k lb version is a lot heavier than the 5k lb version and I'd like to hang them up when not using them.

Any good deals out there? Or should I wait for Black Friday to try and score a deal?

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/6/21 10:28 a.m.
stanger_mussle said:

Does the 7k lb version lift higher than the 5k lb version? I heard the 7k lb version is a lot heavier than the 5k lb version and I'd like to hang them up when not using them.

Even the 3500s are heavy enough that I didn't want to pick them up more often than necessary.  I stored them on the floor, under the car.

M3racer
M3racer New Reader
11/6/21 10:38 a.m.

I have the 5k version - I store them hung on the wall using the Quickjack brand hooks, and though it is just shy of hernia inducing to lift them on/off the hooks, and a bit of a PITA to roll into place as the wheels are close to useless, once on the ground and under the car, the experience of placement and jacking up the car is infinitely better than f*cking with a jack and jack stands. I have used them for NB Miata, B8 S4 Audi and E46 330ci coupe and happy working on/under all of them using the QJ.  Do I wish for more height when I'm under the car? Sure - but I'm not dropping trannys and doing major engine work.  I'm mostly doing brakes, wheel rotation and fluids and nut/bolt the Miata 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/6/21 11:28 a.m.

Over the past year I've spent a ton of time under them, and I echo the thoughts that they're heavy and no fun to move. But they're great to work with and under. This spring we'll see how this are will regards to swapping in an entire fwd driveline including subframe, I'll be wanting for more height but will have an additional cheater to help securely raise the front of the chassis up higher. 

Slippery
Slippery UberDork
11/6/21 11:45 a.m.

I still have the 5000 but have been using it less and less given that I bought a set of Race Ramps. The ramps are great and allow me to do oil changes quickly as well as simplify the jacking process if I need to remove the wheels. After draining the oil with the ramps, I jacked the rear of the car and confirmed that all the oil came out and ever since them the QuickJack remains sitting against the wall.

They are heavy and they work well for what they are intended, but my main problem, and this is most likely in my head, is that I am always scared of being under the car with them. If you are working deep under the car there is not an easy way out like with jackstands as the sides are taken up. Not that you will be quick enough to get out if a jackstand fails, but I feel claustrophobic with the QJ.

Changing the clutch on my S2000 currently and I am using jackstands.

If I could sell them locally and hassle free I would.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
11/6/21 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Where are you in Florida? I'm in the Tampa area and might be interested in buying your QJ off of you.

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
11/7/21 6:57 a.m.

I ordered the 5000s from Costco.com last week when they were marked down to $999. I'm not a member, as the closest Costco store is an hour and a half away, but for $60 to join it was worth the savings. I'll provide some feedback once they arrive and I get them set up.

Don49 (Forum Supporter)
Don49 (Forum Supporter) Dork
11/7/21 11:20 a.m.

I have the 5000's and store them in my trailer to use at the track. Once set up, it is easy to pull them to the sides of the car and put them back under to use. They were very convenient at the Runoffs all week and with the way they lock when up, I have no concerns working under the car. I'm fairly large ( 6'-190#'s) and it would be great if they lifted higher, but not really problem. 

noddaz
noddaz UberDork
11/7/21 11:47 a.m.

I am thinking about buying one.

I imagine I can just leave it on the floor, pushed together and pulled outward into position when I want to use these?  

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
11/7/21 12:34 p.m.
noddaz said:

I am thinking about buying one.

I imagine I can just leave it on the floor, pushed together and pulled outward into position when I want to use these?  

Assuming the car has a reasonable amount of ground clearance, yes.  My Miata was marginal (it was pretty low at one point), so I would store them under the other car that was parked next to it.

stanger_mussle
stanger_mussle UberDork
11/17/21 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I sent you a PM but I don't know if you got it.

Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter)
Loweguy5 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/28/21 8:36 a.m.

Thanks in part to being turned on to this thread, I just ordered the 5000# slx from Home Depot.  Looking forward to lifting lots of junk!

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/28/21 9:18 a.m.

I bought the 5000 version back in 2019 and have never used jackstands since. I did purchase the wall hangers to keep it out of the way and I love it. I never worry about working under the car with them, they are solid and seem like they would hold the car in their locked position forever, like really under stressed. I bought the 120v wall outlet version.

andy_b
andy_b New Reader
11/30/21 7:48 p.m.

Not very useful update:  My quickjack showed up in 3 packages over several days throughout the holiday weekend. I got it assembled and bled air out of the lines last night. There was more assembly than I expected, but the instructions are clear and thorough. However, It's cold enough in my garage that I can't convince myself to spend more time out there to lift a vehicle just for fun.  I'll do it this weekend when I have time. 

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
23H4rVDZ7XK0jBDou7WKzkttIXKPTCacG397asydiEqLUJJU2LjQQAAbOHOY57bT