1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/17/20 11:59 a.m.
feature_image

Ever think that the newest Honda Civic Type R would make a great rally car? The folks at Ralph Hosier Engineering thought so when they built this one-off, off-road Type R for Honda UK.

Said to take "huge influence from Rally Raid, Overland and Safari models from the world of rally a…

Read the rest of the story

shane86
shane86 New Reader
8/17/20 12:25 p.m.

3 pix...? I need MOAR.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/17/20 12:48 p.m.
shane86 said:

3 pix...? I need MOAR.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/17/20 1:09 p.m.

where are the other 2 lug nuts? also, only 18s? good luck finding actual rally tires for non tarmac. Seems like a gimmick more than anything but still looks GREAT. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/17/20 3:09 p.m.
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:

where are the other 2 lug nuts? also, only 18s? good luck finding actual rally tires for non tarmac. Seems like a gimmick more than anything but still looks GREAT. 

Also missing this one other minor detail called a roll cage...  

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/17/20 3:53 p.m.

First picture appears to show a cage. This looks like an interesting idea; the main questions are what class it would run in and whether it would be competative there.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
8/17/20 4:03 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

If you look hard enough there is some tubing in there. I'm guessing it's likely just a harness bar. 

Seems like a cool concept that isn't quite completed yet. 

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy HalfDork
8/17/20 5:21 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Lug nuts and the roll cage are the least of their problems. Good luck without any axles.

8/17/20 5:37 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

First picture appears to show a cage. This looks like an interesting idea; the main questions are what class it would run in and whether it would be competative there.

Looks like a basic bolt-in 4-point bar with a single diagonal, at best.  So, the same thing every Civic Si "tuner" has been installing for 20 years :)

As to classing, I would imagine it would run in Open (or equivalent) with the STis, Evos, etc....I'm sure someone will do it at some point.

On a related note, here's what an actual "rally spec" Civic looks like (404 not found: jacked suspension, big all-terrains, etc)

Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (ARA)

8/17/20 5:43 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

its just a rollbar? I didn't check the link...

bah - well the Jag did this not too long ago and was same "concept"

8/17/20 6:25 p.m.

Yeah, I mean it's no different from the "Baja" Porsches......it's like a style look these days where the fake versions are more "rally look" than actual rally cars lol. 

Still makes me chuckle when I see the STi at work whose plate is "TRU RALY"......it appears to be a stock STi with street tires mounted on Braids, with Rally Armor flaps. Keep hoping to run into the guy to ask him what stage rallies he's run in it :D

All that said, give it a few years and I'm sure one of the many "privateer rallyists who have too much money" will build one just because they can afford to. Won't name any names, but I'm sure you know of a few of the teams I'm talking about that just throw money at their rally cars and still are behind you, and hanging with me in the mid-pack :)

8/17/20 6:31 p.m.

Kev, also did you notice....that harness is a TRS latch-and-lock (not homologated, for show only). I didn't realize anyone still made those things any more with camlock being so much better....I'm guessing it's a 4-point (https://www.trs-motorsport.com/nascar-4-point-superlite-harness.html) since else they'd have to somehow cut a hole in the Type R seat (no way they'd do that...) to pass through the sub straps.....

Rons
Rons Reader
8/17/20 9:06 p.m.

Remember this Honda was done by a British firm. The car could well run in "brisk" TSD rallies. As for classing? There is multiple Championships in Britain and we would probably E36 M3 ourselves over the shortness of tows.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 7:31 a.m.

An actual oversized Honda rally car:

8/18/20 7:43 a.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

An actual oversized Honda rally car:

And don't forget the undersized Honda rally cars that were at that rally....the Fit and the CR-z :)

8/18/20 12:11 p.m.

damn them and their air conditioning! I was mad jealous at SOFR last year with that beast. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 2:29 p.m.

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

8/18/20 2:39 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

good luck with your 3/5ths lug nuts

but honestly If I was at work and had to prepare something like this to get taken professional photos and I gave it to them so half assed done like this they (and the customer) would be pissed. 

Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
8/18/20 3:01 p.m.

I'm liking the WTF turn this has taken. Calling something a real rally car when it isn't chaps my ass like a wet saddle. Yes, you can do all the tribute stuff you like. Just don't call it a rally car!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/20 3:42 p.m.

Step 1 for rally, I'd think, would be removing the turbo and throwing it away.  Or fitting a thumb sized restrictor.

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

It's a UK car - it's usually easier to find smaller tire sizes in Europe than over here.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 4:28 p.m.

It's like you guys can't read past the title:

From the body: Said to take "huge influence from Rally Raid, Overland and Safari models from the world of rally and adventure holidaying,"

It's a rally inspired long travel civic, they themselves call it an "off-road special" and appear to be having great fun in spite of the fact everyone here is sure they're posers and that the car had already exploded in a ball of fire and missing lug nuts.

https://m.facebook.com/rhel.co.uk/posts/10156579713488250

It looks to me like they built this one for someone and the internet lifted information from Facebook/Instagram posts and played telephone like usual.

Also also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_rally

Grumble, grumble, grumble

8/18/20 4:46 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) :

It's a UK car - it's usually easier to find smaller tire sizes in Europe than over here.

Most of us over here buy our rally tires direct from Ireland lol. that said these days there are several US distributors of most of the most popular brands. 

8/18/20 4:48 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

It's like you guys can't read past the title:

From the body: Said to take "huge influence from Rally Raid, Overland and Safari models from the world of rally and adventure holidaying,"

It's a rally inspired long travel civic, they themselves call it an "off-road special" and appear to be having great fun in spite of the fact everyone here is sure they're posers and it had already exploded in a ball of fire.

https://m.facebook.com/rhel.co.uk/posts/10156579713488250

It looks to me like they built this one for someone and the internet lifted information from Facebook/Instagram posts and played telephone like usual.

Also also:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_rally

Grumble, grumble, grumble

I mean.... This is the internet. Would this be a more fun thread if every post just said "whoah that is super duper awesome" over and over? 

I mean if that is what you are looking for there is probably a thread that reads like that over on Honda-tecg forums where everyone is a fanboi.

We all read the article and are well aware this is not an actual Honda rally car effort......that doesn't mean we cannot have discussion about the pros and cons of what they are showing And what WOULD make it into an actual rally car, which would probably be very awesome.

8/18/20 4:52 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part that every one of the actual rally drivers in this thread commenting could probably add up the expenses of their rally cars together and it would STILL be less than whatever this customer spent...

We are all simply jealous that somebody can throw so much money into a car and not have it actually be a rally car, since none of us can do that lol

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ITLjHR6nEcZPkDmqFycPQ0HSZuxVahId9D9iwFisg2f9MbzJ2fXVONAUK01sdCjG