1 2
accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
8/18/20 4:53 p.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Right, but the entire "discussion" is centered around the title of the thread that has nothing to do with the car. It's not rally enough, etc. Well of course the car built for "adventure holidaying" doesn't have a full roll cage and isn't spec'd for stage rally. I'll post a picture of a fish next and we can discuss how bad of a chicken it makes.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/20 4:54 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

That depends on if the fish is being marketed as fried chicken.

accordionfolder
8/18/20 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Are you implying that Ralph Hosier Engineering called it a rally car? Because I'm not seeing that anywhere on their pages, just the title made by grm.

accordionfolder
8/18/20 5:20 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part< ... snip ... > the actual rally drivers in this thread  < ... snip ... >

Irony: Exhibit A.

Sorry, not sorry. I'm feeling fiesty tonight. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/18/20 5:26 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Are you implying that Ralph Hosier Engineering called it a rally car? Because I'm not seeing that anywhere on their pages, just the title made by grm.

The title of this thread is RATE IT: Rally-spec Civic. Since the owner of the car and the shop are probably not on here we are obviously replying to GRM itself. We are not posting on the company's Facebook page. We are simply rating it as requested.

If this was a GRM forum member's build thread we would obviously be making different commentary. 

but let's throw out the rally car stuff and let me just rate this as an adventure holiday vehicle whatever that means: So, you have a car that still has pretty much no off-road ability beyond driving down the same dirt road any car can drive down, it has big tires, so it will have more traction than stock tires if it gets into some sand or mud. That is assuming that the factory Honda traction control doesn't go batE36 M3 crazy trying to deal with that kind of surface (which would be an interesting discussion in its own right)., Itll be uncomfortable as hell off road because it has hard race seats in it, and has very little practicality in terms of carrying much of your adventure gear, especially because it has a roll bar crammed in it preventing use of the back seats. Then when it tries to go on any kind of green 4*4 trail it will most likely put a hole in that low-mounted intercooler. Really, it's  just a fast Civic with big tires on it. Which is fine if that is what the owner wanted, more power to him. There are certainly a lot of people out there who build cars for looks or for style or for other factors.  But let's not pretend this is anything other than a particularly mall crawler.... And any adventure it goes on is going to be something that pretty much any stock CR-V or Rav4 could do far better. 

---

8/18/20 5:30 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
accordionfolder said:

The gatekeeping is strong in this thread. I 100% would drive this and jump it off of any curbs I found.

the ironic part< ... snip ... > the actual rally drivers in this thread  < ... snip ... >

What is the irony of that? I mean nobody in here is a WRC driver, but there are certainly several commentators in this thread who drive in competition stage rally and or are heavily involved with it.

And feel feisty all you want. I'm just bored and have no interest in car projects to do so I'm sitting online stirring the pot :)

accordionfolder
8/18/20 5:34 p.m.

Muy excelente! Carry on. 

I would love that thing. In the same way I'd love a lifted, boosted miata. I'm definitely not spending my money on it, but it's super cool to look at it and has a bunch of neat features if you go through the detail pictures on their facebook page I linked.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/18/20 5:35 p.m.

One of my favorite current sandwiches to enjoy is.2 beyond burgers with a meatless "chicken" patty in the middle. I call it the McDryhump.

accordionfolder
8/18/20 5:36 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
accordionfolder said:

What is the irony of that? I mean nobody in here is a WRC driver, but there are certainly several commentators in this thread who drive in competition stage rally and or are heavily involved with it.

And feel feisty all you want. I'm just bored and have no interest in car projects to do so I'm sitting online stirring the pot :)

This rabbit hole was started, seemingly, by my gate keeping comment. Of which you doubled down on by defining what you considered a "real rally driver" - that's text book gate keeping and tasty irony in a tidy package. 

accordionfolder
8/18/20 5:39 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I love beyond burgers presently as a person trying to be meat-light, but still a great lover of meat. That sound fantastic and has a great name to boot. I'm giving that a go.

8/18/20 5:43 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
accordionfolder said:
accordionfolder said:

This rabbit hole was started, seemingly, by my gate keeping comment. Of which you doubled down on by defining what you considered a "real rally driver" - that's text book

gate keeping.dId.k.dd

I Disagree. For instance I know almost nothing about over landing and off-roading (like 4*4 stuff). So while I was building my Raider, I basically was spending a lot of time listening to guys who actually do that kind of stuff and And tell me what I need to do. but not to the Jeep dudes who buy $10,000 worth of accessories and cruise around the suburbs on their 36s that have never seen mud. 

before I started doing rally I will fully admit that I had a huge misperception of what it actually was, And probably tried to lend "rally" advice to friends of mine but at the time was probably complete b******* that I'd read on the internet or something. 

but anybody who knows me will tell you that one of my top goals had been to get other people into the sport, by helping them not make mistakes that I made and not saying stupid things that I said. 

I see gatekeeping is the opposite  - when people hoo do something are trying to keep other people from doing it in order to maintain their special status or whatever.

My comments about rally drivers in this thread was only indicating that a lot of people who do not do it may not be familiar with the actual rules and equipment, since the internet has basically made half the populace think that a stock WRX can just go right out on the stages  but point taken about phrasing it that way.

8/18/20 5:44 p.m.

Also apologies for the terrible grammar and spelling. Between my fat fingers on the phone and it's autocorrect, I sound like a third grader...

8/18/20 5:48 p.m.

I am surprised you did not call me out on the title of my Raider build thread though, since it does use the word rally in it, while it is not an actual competition vehicle. :D

accordionfolder
8/18/20 5:48 p.m.

No opinions on what you do in real life my guy - just made my statements based on what you've said in this thread. Even your follow up "review" of the civic.

Alas, it's time for me to make dinner. 

8/18/20 5:55 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

No opinions on what you do in real life my guy - just made my statements based on what you've said in this thread. Even your follow up "review" of the civic.

Alas, it's time for me to make dinner. 

Fair enough lol. I actually think I got you confused with accord96(?) Who has been following my rally build thread for years and commenting there, so I may have absentmindedly thought you were him and that you knew where I was coming from! 

accordionfolder
8/18/20 5:55 p.m.

Also apologies for the terrible grammar and spelling. Between my fat fingers on the phone and it's autocorrect, I sound like a third grader...

I can't post from my phone on GRM anymore - it destroys my messages even when I'm careful anymore.....

8/18/20 6:01 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

I can't post from my phone on GRM anymore - it destroys my messages even when I'm careful anymore.....

There is definitely something funky with the forums software because if you try to fix a word you mistyped It seems to add in other multiple words that are unrelated for some unknown reason. I thought it was just my phone screwing with me but happy that someone else has the same problem!

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/20 6:13 p.m.

the phone and it's autocorrect

I have to use an iPad at work.  Its dictionary does not believe in the word "its".

It also likes to turn "and" into "Andy" for some reason.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/20 6:17 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

There is definitely something funky with the forums software because if you try to fix a word you mistyped It seems to add in other multiple words that are unrelated for some unknown reason. I thought it was just my phone screwing with me but happy that someone else has the same problem!

Oh yeah, I had that problem bigtime on my Android device.  I had turned off autocorrect and word suggestions, because I am a man who can make his own mistakes without computer assistance.  However, this did not completely neuter HAL.  The word suggestion BAR was removed but they still EXISTED, and sometimes when going back through and editing, it would enter the suggested words.  I had to turn dictionary checking completely off, which was slightly annoying because 42 year old brain does not remember spelling as well as 12 year old brain did.  Although my cars and bike are a whole lot more awesome, so suck it 12 year old me!

jb229
jb229 New Reader
8/19/20 12:50 a.m.
EvanB (Forum Supporter) said:

An actual oversized Honda rally car:

And don't forget the undersized Honda rally cars that were at that rally....the Fit and the CR-z :)

Wasn't Rally America selling kits for Fits that would let you homologate a production model for their entry level front-wheel drive class a few years ago?

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/19/20 9:17 a.m.
accordionfolder said:
accordionfolder said:

we all are.. 

:(

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wr613eWe5ZrjxeJy0Q7lqKHLBy2ZNZc197fuY3cOjyEbL6rTuRzcO467Eyb403F6