1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/5/19 9:15 a.m.

I have just found out that a local friend has bought a 2005 Porsche 911.  This came a quite a surprise to me since he is not really a car guy.  He is actually more of a Harley guy.  

It was mentioned that he bought it off ebay and that he flew to see the car first.  I really don't know anything about 911's but I suspect y'all do, so...

What is your opinion on this purchase?  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Porsche-911-/293164197121?hash=item4441f2a501%3Ag%3AgY4AAOSwIA9daIOw&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=0H6EjpW9Zc8q8s0mzUEkKf99p7I%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Feel free to be critical.  The buyer/owner will not see this thread.  

Slippery
Slippery UltraDork
10/5/19 9:20 a.m.

He overpaid based on my location. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/5/19 9:22 a.m.

Salvage title too. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Dork
10/5/19 9:31 a.m.

No real info on the salvage title and, to a lesser degree, the guy’s shirt in the pics coupled with it being nothing unique (loud vinyl excepted) would make me pass on it 

b13990
b13990 Reader
10/5/19 10:34 a.m.

What's up with the side mirrors?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UltraDork
10/5/19 11:00 a.m.

Wrapped and salvage title and a tippy.....Way over paid IMHO. I'd pay a little more for one of these: 

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/780963365/overview/

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/784573738/overview/

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Reader
10/5/19 11:37 a.m.

If he already owns it, and is happy with it, the only response is "looks great, should be a lot of fun". Why pop his bubble?

That’s coming from someone most people here think is an shiny happy person, so put that in perspective. 

westsidetalon
westsidetalon Reader
10/5/19 11:54 a.m.

tinted taillights not a good sign

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/5/19 11:58 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

If he already owns it, and is happy with it, the only response is "looks great, should be a lot of fun". Why pop his bubble?

That’s coming from someone most people here think is an shiny happy person, so put that in perspective. 

He set the market for that car! Good point.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/5/19 12:08 p.m.

Not the one I would have purchased but of course I can’t get a 911 so it seems like he is a lucky guy, 

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
10/5/19 12:18 p.m.

That price point buys a lot of car that says "Z-06" on the side, it's an auto, and the "cheap Porsche" market scares me, so I wouldn't buy it.  On the other hand, it might be one of the cheaper entry points into PCA that doesn't say "Boxster" or 944 on the side.  Maybe that is what he was after.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/5/19 12:30 p.m.

I agree with some of the posts. He's 50 yrs old and "of means" so this purchase is not beyond his means.  I am happy that he has achieved this purchase for himself. He is hard working and somewhat selfless. He puts a lot of efforts into his wife and kid's goals. Not nearly enough into his own goals. 

You never know what response you might get out of GRM. I had considered that a possible reply could be, "I know the seller, he's a great guy." 

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
10/5/19 12:33 p.m.

Every salvage car seller claims "no structural damage" but extremely few are willing/able to back those claims up with before pictures and repair estimate/invoices...As should be a standard (mandated) upfront practice with listing branded cars. If he knows this all with complete certainty, then at least he went into it with eyes wide open. If not though, he got a slight discount (that he'll also lose when he goes to sell) for something that just as likely has hidden mechanical, structural, and/or safety issues. But a lot of people are perfectly happy with their decisions that appear irrational to others too...So either way, hopefully he ends up being happy with it in the long run too, and not just right now.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/5/19 12:36 p.m.

Don't know if it's a good value, but I do like the color of that wrap.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/5/19 1:11 p.m.

Probably a bit high due to the combo of salvage title + tiptronic. Of course if he wanted one in that exact colour then it's probably a good buy if you factor in the cost of the wrap and the ceramic coating.

I'd like to see some paperwork on the "no structural damage" as I still remember how "no structural damage" my 996 looked initially until we found out it needed about $20ks worth of repair.

BTW, I kinda went full Samcrac on this and it looks like Copart listed it as "primary damage: Mechanical": https://www.copart.com/lot/28943619/Photos

So it may actually not have had structural damage, but I'd be curious what the mechanical damage was. Of course ... 997 ... IMS but as we saw in my old 996 thread, there are other ways to get to an explody engine on these.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/5/19 1:21 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Weirdly enough, it's marked with "engine start" meaning they were able to turn it on and idle it...dunno how bad the engine would have to blow up to prevent that, but maybe it was only a "minor" engine problem, or something else entirely.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
10/5/19 1:25 p.m.

Well, I got a $12k bill on a running engine on my 996...

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Dork
10/5/19 1:28 p.m.

Well sold.  Thats all there is to it.  

Rons
Rons Reader
10/5/19 2:09 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I agree with some of the posts. He's 50 yrs old and "of means" so this purchase is not beyond his means.  I am happy that he has achieved this purchase for himself. He is hard working and somewhat selfless. He puts a lot of efforts into his wife and kid's goals. Not nearly enough into his own goals. 

You never know what response you might get out of GRM. I had considered that a possible reply could be, "I know the seller, he's a great guy." 

Okay so I'll fess up the at least former principal of Bullet Racing is a neighbour of mine. I'm not privy to details but there is a divorce involved so ownership may have changed.. He seems like an ice guy.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/5/19 2:11 p.m.

I might buy an air cooled Porsche with a salvage title, but a water cooled Porsche with a salvage title would be a huge mistake.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/5/19 2:15 p.m.
NordicSaab said:

Well sold.  Thats all there is to it.  

^This.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/5/19 2:28 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Well, I got a $12k bill on a running engine on my 996...

Oof. Yeah, that could total out a car under the right circumstances.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/5/19 2:42 p.m.

If he's happy with the car that's all that matters, the selling price is irrelevant.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/5/19 2:46 p.m.

GRM delivers!  

Cool find on the Copart listing.    I wonder what price the Copart sale ended at?  Anyone have insight?  

Cool find on the neighbor.

As stated, the buyer went and physically inspected the car before purchase.  He commented that the seller was forthcoming with info and very knowledgeable.    I got no more than this so far.  The car is expect to arrive Thursday.  I expect to see it/ride in it shortly after.  The car will reside just 1 mile from my house.  There are some cool rides in the area.  This buyer's direct neighbor has a red Ferrari (model unknown to me but open roof of probably less than 10 years old.)  Same garage has Boxter too.    Head the other way from the buyer's house a few doors and there is a G-Wagon AMG 6.3, an Audi S7, and a water cooled 911 all at the same house.  My immediate next door neighbor has a 2010 Bentley Continental Convertible as a summer only car.  Then, two houses farther from me is a 1970 911 Targa in mint condition and a C2 Corvette in mint condition in the same garage with a Porsche Cayenne as a DD'er.    

For context, this is the same neighborhood where I am dealing in $500 Chrysler Minivans so, yeah, I might be "that guy."  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/5/19 2:48 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

If he's happy with the car that's all that matters, the selling price is irrelevant.  

Totally agree!  I also expect that he will keep it a long time generally making the resale value irrelevant.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ud1YPEQnCflhkrIbvIzldwmxfWYLlfZ6ChfiIUQ6NRHgKWXHEGPXg7QK6xh9gcQH