N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/21/19 6:28 p.m.

2008 Ford Focus S 5-speed.

Been having some issues with this little lady lately. I'm thinking it's time to replace the motor mounts. Upon releasing the clutch in 1st gear, even at a high enough RPM, the engine seems to shake as if is going to stall before evening out. This only happens when the clutch is released sometimes. The problem isn't constant. This may have something to do with the following.

Today the wife called to say it sounded like the car was going to fall apart while driving it. When she got home, I took it out for a ride and yes, on acceleration (and sometimes maintaining) there is a hell of a knock and vibration from the right front. Got home and removed the CV assembly and half-shaft. The hub seems fine. The only issue I was able to find was some minor play in the carrier bearing. I'm replacing all of it, but I'm not sure if I should be expecting to replace more E36 M3 later. Anyone have any experience with a similar issue or the driveline's intermediate shaft bearing in general?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/21/19 6:30 p.m.

I got fancy and made a gif. Woot. 

(EDIT) Aaaand apparently you can't upload them.

Take two...

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/21/19 6:53 p.m.

Don't worry. Just call the car-x man. 

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/21/19 8:03 p.m.

Last time I went to Car-X, one of the techs wanted to know if my car still had a the cop chip. I'll never go back again...

b13990
b13990 Reader
12/21/19 8:42 p.m.
N Sperlo said:

Last time I went to Car-X, one of the techs wanted to know if my car still had a the cop chip. I'll never go back again...

WTF is that? Some magical tune that's supposed to make Crown Vics catch speeding M3s?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/21/19 8:57 p.m.

In reply to b13990 :

You know, it unlocks all the extra horses because apparently ford would throttle a super fast car just cause it wasn't for police. More recently, I printed out a "cop chip" sticker for my bluetooth OBDII dongle just to berkeley with people...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nqPm1ahf5anTUBdnK3ZzNzspdTxBoZgJ7o6KjvpDSisyCbU2JtJqZJYaNCAxHb4R