philoM5
philoM5
1/18/11 6:31 p.m.

I have an M5 that has metering ports on each header tube. I want to find a way to use these ports to A) balance the ITBs at idle.., and B) to make sure the AFR is optimal at higher rpms.

I did a search and couldn't find any products that have integrated 6 AF sensors in one package. Or is there a better way to achieve what I'm after ?

BMW sells a box that shows either a red or green light for setting up idle.., but doesn't offer the wider range capabilities that widebands do today.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Phil.

88 M5

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/18/11 7:38 p.m.

A simple infra red thermometer will give you a good answer to balance the throttles.

For WOT, 6 would be major overkill- the most you would need is the number of fuel control systems you have. 1 or 2.

philoM5
philoM5 New Reader
1/19/11 7:34 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Thanks Alfa.., I just bought an infrared thermometer.. Thanks.

My engine is sequential injection and have trims for each cylinder. But for WOT I'd rather use a wideband. But this is a pricey adventure !

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/19/11 7:56 p.m.

In reply to philoM5:

I figured on the sequential, or even a simple batch. But all injection systems calculate the injection based on one or two sensors- one or two banks. On an I6, bank 1 would be 1-3, and bank 2 is 4-6. That set up is fully in the computer.

Anyway, good luck with it! Sounds like a fun tune to make sure the idle is balanced.

Eric

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
1/19/11 8:34 p.m.

I've had good luck using egt to do individual cyl trims. Though it really can smooth idle I've never noticed any gains up top with it. Max power afr can be pretty wide.

Never thought about using IR right on a header, pretty slick.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xkPyf8lYEdYa0KzMCgPDpNJ0zikZsCtRqYREL2XRaUHaIQ6b1Z0Oikd7LjLDdzfN