1 2
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/3/20 3:27 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
bobzilla said:

I wish FM had Hyundai and Kia parts as I'd buy from them in a heart beat. Maybe we need to do a spin off of Flying Miata and have Flying Hyundai?

Regardless, congrats to a hard working crew. I've heard almost no negatives and lots of positives over the years. 

We sell engine internals for the 1995 Kia Sephia GS. Our lug nuts are probably compatible as well. What else could you possibly want?

HAHAHAHA. It was the 94-01 1.8 Sephia and Spectra.

thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter)
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/3/20 3:43 p.m.

The email gave me a little scare when I saw FM sold. Nice to see y'all turn into a co-op and glad you're sticking around. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/3/20 3:48 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

The email gave me a little scare when I saw FM sold. Nice to see y'all turn into a co-op and glad you're sticking around. 

I will admit to doing that on purpose. Build the tension and then release, just like jazz.

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) UltimaDork
11/3/20 4:47 p.m.

This is fantastic, and makes me happy. Congrats!

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
11/3/20 5:34 p.m.

I'm glad this worked for you. I know I wouldn't want to be in business with the people I work with.

Cooter
Cooter UberDork
11/3/20 5:45 p.m.

This is wonderful news, and I say this as someone it probably never even affect directly. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
11/3/20 5:47 p.m.

I've worked for an employee-owned company for many years, it is a good way to go.

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/3/20 6:00 p.m.

Congrats!  Now I need to get around to actually buy the stuff I intended to get 6 years ago...

hamster
hamster New Reader
11/3/20 6:18 p.m.

Congratulations and Good Luck!

I hope to buy some suspension bits as soon as my wife gives me my allowance.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
11/3/20 6:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Since I just made the public announcement about 15 minutes ago, it's not really common knowledge :)

FM is not a big profit maker, so we're not all that tasty to the behemoths. Bill and Teri Cardell, the founders, also did not want to sell to someone who would just strip the company of the valuable bits and ship it to California. They wanted to keep the company as it is with the same values and in the same place. What we are good at is providing employment for long-term employees. So a co-op made perfect sense for us. Since they've been fairly hands-off for a few years, it's really going to be a pretty easy transition.

Fun fact: the co-op members have an average of 12.9 years with the company. Our average across the company is something like 8.2 years.

One of the almost forgotten reasons for a corporation to exist.  At least in the US.  

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/3/20 7:11 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Congratulations Keith & co.!

Didn't you post/hint something about this a few months ago though? I was surprised when I received the email, as I though it was a done-deal a while back. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/3/20 7:26 p.m.

We definitely talked about Bill retiring a while back, but I don't THINK I spilled the beans on the ownership change. Maybe I did. I talk a lot.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AyMvpHNfBRfQjtBVL0jIygBOejpOBS1V0PkrVJTbRZtmHF2QxsOWSTW9lN2sVEo5