procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/7/09 10:40 p.m.

Thinking this was a Momo wheel, I grabbed it from a 320i at the junkyard:

Turns out it's got a Nardi mounting pattern (74mm PCD, 6mm holes @ 1,3,5,7,9,11 o'clock), not Momo (70mm PCD, 6mm holes @ 2,4,6,8,10,12 o'clock).

Overall diameter is 13 inches; the center hole is a bit over 60mm. The cover is vinyl.

Was this a common wheel on E21s? Other '70s BMWs? What's it called? Is it, in fact, a Nardi wheel?

Luke
Luke SuperDork
12/8/09 1:27 a.m.

Doesn't look like any Nardi I've seen before. Made in Italy and stamped with a number, though, so it must be something decent.

Being vinyl wrapped, and on the small side at 13", maybe it was originally a boat wheel.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
12/8/09 5:15 a.m.

Maybe a 320is sport wheel with lots of stuff missing? They came with a 3 spoke wheel rather than the 4 spoke of many standard BMW models of the time.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
12/8/09 6:46 a.m.

iS wheels were definitely leather-wrapped.

Rza
Rza HalfDork
12/8/09 7:57 a.m.

That looks like a Dino wheel. Dino as in a boat steering wheel company, not the Ferrari. I think it is at least, because it looks like the Dino steering wheel I have at home. Was there an adapter involved with it?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/8/09 8:07 a.m.

It's aftermarket for sure. Did you grab the adapter to the steering column as well?

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/8/09 8:25 a.m.

Nardi steering wheels are still available. If you didn't snag the adapter, you might contact one of the dealers to buy the correct one for you car.

Both of these California-based companies carry Nardi products:

http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/home.php?cat=823&gclid=CK_i7PGEx54CFQOdnAodgxzirQ

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/evasive_em.mvc?c=Nardi-SW&gclid=CP3zs7WFx54CFQKdnAod6DXHqg

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
12/8/09 10:09 a.m.

There are adapters to mount those wheels to a Momo adapter.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
12/8/09 1:59 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: It's aftermarket for sure. Did you grab the adapter to the steering column as well?

I didn't grab the adapter because I assumed the wheel would fit my Momo adapter. Oops.

I think I'll put it in the classifieds -- with a new cover, it'd make a nice addition to a Challenge car for not a lot of money...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tJyK5RtD6yaE72GeuVv9H2bbLJb5agZkqojj3YR5RqSnFwmOS9YwL3FiBsr8BzlN