SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/31/18 8:53 p.m.

My trusty Craftsman Torque Wrench met the manufacturer this morning and so I need a new one. 1/2”, preferably click type, needs to be able to handle 250 ft-lbs. 

Whatcha got?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/31/18 9:00 p.m.

CDI is a Snap-On subsidiary.

250 ft-lbs, $161 shipped: https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-CDI-2503MFRPH-Adjustable-Micrometer/dp/B000KL4H80

chandler
chandler PowerDork
10/31/18 9:23 p.m.

I would laugh at myself from the outside but during my own brand of torture testing with consistent torquing between 25 and 55 something in the neighborhood of 120 times a day the harbor freight clicker stays in calibration for about 6 months if it doesn’t fall apart. I have a calibration station and check it every eight hours.

the old Marco TR150 would last 18 months without needing recalibrated but their new one lasted six months before I gave up on them. Higher torque isn’t something we do with that wrench so o can’t say for that.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
11/1/18 8:35 a.m.

How often do you go to 250 ft-lbs and how accurate do you need to be there? Most half-inch drive torque wrenches only go to 250 ft-lbs and, when you get to the upper range of a click-type wrench, the accuracy isn't always completely on point as it is usually the extreme of the calibration margin.

If you need it to be real accurate at max torque, a strain gauge is probably going to be your best bet. If not then CDI, Husky and Gearwrench are good bets if you don't want to spend Snap-on money. I use click-type Husky wrenches for aircraft at the local EAA chapter and they still calibrate well after 6 years. My previous employer used Snap-on for the aircraft which are made by CDI.

I don't trust the HF ones after an incident I had with one.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/1/18 12:29 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I have a few bolts on my truck that require 200+ ft lbs and I have to deal with them at least once a year.

250 is a “just in case” type of thing.  

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
11/1/18 12:33 p.m.

I've been happy with this one since my 30 year old Crafstman finally died:

Precision Instruments torque wrench

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/1/18 12:36 p.m.

For what it's worth, we're putting together a torque wrench comparison. Right now there are some wrenches and a tester sitting in my office. smiley

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
11/1/18 1:06 p.m.

There was a recent discussion on this.  I recommended this Husky 50-250 lb/ft one.  Codrus has had one for a while as well that he's happy with.  I hope Freakazoid is enjoying his as well.

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
11/1/18 1:11 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

There was a recent discussion on this.  I recommended this Husky 50-250 lb/ft one.  Codrus has had one for a while as well that he's happy with.  I hope Freakazoid is enjoying his as well.

That's the exact same one I own. It's a really nice wrench at the price point.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/1/18 1:12 p.m.

I just bought a 250 lb. , 1/2" from Eastwood.

i have used it only once so far.  Be putting the snows on soon.  The long handle makes 100 lbs. easier on my old arms.

It even came with a certificate of calibration.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' SuperDork
11/1/18 7:17 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

For what it's worth, we're putting together a torque wrench comparison. Right now there are some wrenches and a tester sitting in my office. smiley

Hi David,

I do engineering statistics for a living.

If you’d like, I could analyze the results to determine which, if any, wrenches are statistically superior along with calculating confidence intervals (i.e., if it sez’ 100 ft. lbs., there’s a 95% chance the true value is between X and Y).

Let me know if you’re interested and we can put together a sampling protocol.

Brett

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/1/18 7:21 p.m.

There is no "affordable" and "good quality".

I have a lever spring style torque wrench, it was not very cheap (I think it was $350?) but it stays reliable.

I have a Summit/HF $25 torque wrench.  Tested on an electronic load cell, it is laughably inaccurate.  If you set it to, say, 70 ft-lb, it is around 85ft-lb in one direction and way over 100 in the other.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/1/18 7:22 p.m.
Rodan said:

I've been happy with this one since my 30 year old Crafstman finally died:

Precision Instruments torque wrench

That's the exact torque wrench that I use day in, day out.

Apparently you can buy them from Amazon a lot more cheaply than off a tool truck.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
11/1/18 7:47 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

What are the chances of doing a follow-up or along with covering some home calibration checks options?

I have this one. Won it in a raffle at a work conference. Wouldn't buy it on my own as it is expensive. Deal with their bigger torque applicators a lot for our helicopters. Used to use an old style beam, which I still have.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/2/18 8:27 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Don’t be that guy. I asked for a reason, because not all of us can afford a $350 torque wrench and not every inexpensive torque wrench is a piece of E36 M3. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/2/18 6:33 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid said:
Knurled. said:

Don’t be that guy. I asked for a reason, because not all of us can afford a $350 torque wrench and not every inexpensive torque wrench is a piece of E36 M3. 

I haven't seen a cheap one that wasn't a POS.  It appears that anything under a hundred bucks is churned out in the same lack-of-quality factory and the inaccuracy is laughable.

I'm not trying to be "that guy", I'm lamenting that there are no good inexpensive torque wrenches that are ACCURATE, which is a rather important part of being a torque wrench.  Otherwise, you're guessing, and you can guess with a ratchet for a hell of a lot less money!  The best you can do is to buy a load cell (which are, surprisingly, not all that expensive) and use a breaker bar and a voltmeter.  All that added up is not inexpensive EITHER, though, as it assumes that you just happen to have a multimeter and a breaker bar just lying around.

Matco does offer a remarkably cheap torque wrench if you are willing to accept two caveats:  It is only calibrated between 80 and 140ft-lb, and it does not ratchet.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
11/4/18 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I’m not looking for the most on-spot scientifically accurate torque wrench because I’m not putting a space shuttle together, I’m literally checking the torque on travel trailer lug nuts every week and the occasional brake and wheel bearing replacement on my truck. If the margin is +/- 10 ft lbs off, it’s not that big of a deal. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
11/4/18 10:06 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

The torque wrench I bought from Summit for $25 (looks like same unit as HF) is way more than 10ft-lb off in the lug nut checking region.  Depending on which side you use (it has an internal 3/4" 12-point hex for accepting a spline drive adapter on the backside), it is either 15 pounds off or over 30 pounds off when you set it to 80, a figure important to me because I want to torque my wheels to about 80 ft-lb.

As I said, hilariously inaccurate.

I set it to 70 and use it strictly for lug nuts.  If I want to work on engine stuff that needs accurate torque specs (internal engine fasteners/clutch fasteners/etc) I take my known-good, regularly-calibrated torque wrenches home from work.

Not sure if doing this for a living is a benefit or a curse.  On the one hand, I generally own decent to high quality tools.  On the other hand, since those are at work, this means I have to have two of everything, so I have $house sitting at work and a garage full of chinesium at home...

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/5/18 9:00 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I haven't seen a cheap one that wasn't a POS.  It appears that anything under a hundred bucks is churned out in the same lack-of-quality factory and the inaccuracy is laughable.

Seems the Husky linked to earlier has had good reviews and comes with calibration papers at 3% accuracy from 50 to 250lb-ft.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-50-250-ft-lbs-1-2-in-Drive-Torque-Wrench-H2DTWA/205914009

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/5/18 11:20 a.m.

I talked about my recent experience with my HF wrench in another thread. I had one for over 10 years that was fine, but I lost the lock nut to it and bought another one earlier this year to replace it. First time I used it to tighten lug nuts, and it must be about 30-40 ft lbs off! Put it this way: after tightening with the wrench, I drove it for about a week, and the lug nuts were HAND TIGHT when I re-checked them after hearing some terrible noises.  angry

I bought this Kobalt wrench to replace it. 

I've had great luck with their stuff and this one had good reviews. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eYBHDaziI5tQL293002PmVyes3hyCpA6PuL5FUYfxBPaqsUBlZESL5OHmjZQezLr