1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
2/14/21 5:00 p.m.

I bought a car near Long Island and we dropped it off in Newark  at the depot for Plycom /PlyCar to pick it up  and ship to SoCal.

you might want to ask about depot to depot and see if that works for you , 

Contradiction
Contradiction HalfDork
2/14/21 6:19 p.m.
John Welsh said:

I also noticed that prices for local Uhaul truck in NYC are $40 per day and $2 per mile but in Atlanta they are $40 per day and $1 per mile.  

How about this if time is unlimited... 

Drive GTI to Atlanta and leave it in a storage box at a Uhaul facility, probably $100 per month.  

Pick up 26 ft Uhaul truck in Atlanta and drive 1k miles, empty to NYC or $1k charge.  Then drive it back down, full for another $1k charge.  

That is $2k in mile charges.  It costs $40 per day or $400 per 10 days or $1,200 per 30 days to keep the truck.  This means you could have all your belongings parked right outside your temporary hotel for the first two weeks.  

Recap: 
$2,000 in miles charges ($1,000 each way of 1,000 miles)
$1,200 in daily charges (for keeping it a month)
$500 in truck fuel (thinking $250 each way)
$300 in hotel if you stop one night each leg of the trip, $100 per night
$0 to transport GTI other than gas to drive it (maybe $100)
$100 to store the GTI in ATL but it is there waiting for you when you drop off the truck. 

$3,100 total for car move and Uhaul move with a month of storage by keeping the full truck.  

I'm not entirely sure if I trust the GTI enough as a 37 yr old car at this point to drive 900 miles and risk a break down in the hills of the Carolinas in the middle of nowhere!  If anything engine related was wrong I'm not expecting to find a good CIS mechanical fuel injection guru there.  

If I had more time that would be tempting, but honestly at this point my main goal is just to get the car down there safely with a trustworthy car transporter for around $1,000 - $1,500 if I can.

Honestly, I'm not even sure that I'd want to drive a 22' U-Haul truck with a drive up trailer down myself even if it was affordable.  I've rode down to NC for work before in a box truck to setup a trade show and I vividly remember watching semis pass us at 75 mph down hill on curry roads in the rain!  The kind that have a semi run off lane every 10 miles.  

Contradiction
Contradiction HalfDork
2/14/21 6:21 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

I'll sell my 24' enclosed car trailer for $4500. 

Use it as much as you want, unpack it as slowly as you want, and when you are done, sell it for $4500. 

Keep your moving allowance

Man if I had a truck that could tow it that would be tempting.  My daily driver is just a 15 Mazda6.  I suspect I'll have to show them all my receipts too.

68TR250
68TR250 Reader
2/14/21 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Contradiction :

Um, we do get snow in ATL.  Not like NYC snow but we do get snow.  It has snowed every year since I moved here in '82.  My wife, an ATL native, says I brought it with me from PHL.   An inch will shut the city down.  We also get ice which is a bear.

But in response to John Welsh comment, truckers do hate going to NYC.  i used to set up truck loads to the NE 6 days a week and had to pay a premium to have trucks go to NY.  It was cheaper enough to move our operation to NJ to keep from dealing with the NYC premium to make the move worthwhile.

Would it be possible for you to move the car to say PHL or BWI to have it picked up out of the NYC area, ride AMTRAK back to NYC and have it picked up there in PHL or BWI.  The savings might surprise you.  I would imagine a fellow GRMer would be willing to help.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/14/21 7:22 p.m.
Contradiction said:
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

I'll sell my 24' enclosed car trailer for $4500. 

Use it as much as you want, unpack it as slowly as you want, and when you are done, sell it for $4500. 

Keep your moving allowance

Man if I had a truck that could tow it that would be tempting.  My daily driver is just a 15 Mazda6.  I suspect I'll have to show them all my receipts too.

Then show them the receipt for the trailer, and explain it was cheaper than a rental. 

Renting a tow vehicle isn't hard. 

Contradiction
Contradiction HalfDork
2/14/21 10:14 p.m.
68TR250 said:

In reply to Contradiction :

Would it be possible for you to move the car to say PHL or BWI to have it picked up out of the NYC area, ride AMTRAK back to NYC and have it picked up there in PHL or BWI.  The savings might surprise you.  I would imagine a fellow GRMer would be willing to help.

That's a good idea.  I would be willing to drive it down to Philly and Amtrak it back if it saves me $300 - $400.  I'll have to have it quoted that way too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
addlgEAuypRaiKjWlWZkkyP53KXlUMDM59KtmVFY11lc5AKMgD5GtkSwSeMlk9zN