1 2 3
mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/7/14 9:10 a.m.
Contradiction wrote:
mtn wrote:
Contradiction wrote: I'm not crazy about Prius or Volt because I'm honestly concerned about maintanence and part cost if there is service needed. I definitely wouldn't want to find out how much battery replacement would cost. I also do longer distance trips occassionally like 500 miles one way to visit home, so I just wouldn't want an EV like the Volt.
The Volt has no range limitations, it has an onboard gas engine. You could decide to go across the country at the drop of a hat--you'd get about 40 miles on a full charge before you hit the gasoline. It is NOT a hybrid though. Also, the maintenance on an electric engine is pretty much nothing compared to a gasoline engine. MUCH simpler. And the batteries have what... 8 year warranty's? Combine that with the fact that with the Prius batteries, almost all of the originals are still around. Trust me, I used to be on the same side as you. I even wrote a term paper on how hybrid/electric technology wasn't the answer, and had about 4 or 5 pages devoted solely to the battery issue. I was wrong. And there was no pages on the maintenance issue, because I couldn't find any evidence that they were unreliable.
I'm willing to look at them some with an open mind, but cost is going to factor into things too. If it would cost me just as much to buy a Prius with 70K on it as a brand new Cruze or a Focus for example, that's hard to justify. I'm not 100% dead set on "NEW NEW", but I'd like to be close to that if I'm going to spend the money. I'll be honest to and say (with no disrespect to those of you driving one!) that Prius just brings up all kinds of "anti-enthusiast" feelings. Not to mention stereo types like granola munching, Hippie, Environmentalist drivers, etc. I always get a bit of a smile on my face when I see a car at a show that has a "This cancels out your Prius" sticker too.

Dude. Really? You realize that by having your opinion swayed by said stereotypes, you are only further enforcing them? This really pisses me off. And besides, what is wrong with any of that?

Also, the only reason I mentioned the Volt is because it is so cheap: http://www.chevycity.net/new/Chevrolet/2013-Chevrolet-Volt-9c36f70a0a0a0065006fa7ecf540b55f.htm They have the price there as $30,xxx. I have it on paper, from last week, as $29,995. I know that I could get them lower if I tried. Then there is a $7,500 federal tax credit on this vehicle as well. So you are down to $22,495. Show me a better BRAND NEW car for that money.

Now, it could be that this isn't the right car for you. Maybe you need 5 seats, maybe you can't deal with huge blind spots from the A pillars (my biggest gripe with it). But I can tell you that it was a lot nicer and a lot more fun to drive than my Fiancee's 2004 Corolla, or my friends 2007 Cobalt, and on par or nicer than a 2010 Mazda3 as well.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
4/7/14 10:16 a.m.
mtn wrote: Dude. Really? You realize that by having your opinion swayed by said stereotypes, you are only further enforcing them? This really pisses me off. And besides, what is wrong with any of that? Also, the only reason I mentioned the Volt is because it is so cheap: http://www.chevycity.net/new/Chevrolet/2013-Chevrolet-Volt-9c36f70a0a0a0065006fa7ecf540b55f.htm They have the price there as $30,xxx. I have it on paper, from last week, as $29,995. I know that I could get them lower if I tried. Then there is a $7,500 federal tax credit on this vehicle as well. So you are down to $22,495. Show me a better BRAND NEW car for that money. Now, it could be that this isn't the right car for you. Maybe you need 5 seats, maybe you can't deal with huge blind spots from the A pillars (my biggest gripe with it). But I can tell you that it was a lot nicer and a lot more fun to drive than my Fiancee's 2004 Corolla, or my friends 2007 Cobalt, and on par or nicer than a 2010 Mazda3 as well.

I’m sorry and you’re right, I shouldn’t have gone there. In my defense even though most people call miatas “a girl’s car” I’d have no problem driving one despite that.

I should have really just left it at I don’t have any desire to drive one for my own reasons. Same can be said for me and SUVs. Most people love them. As an enthusiast and a motorist in general I HATE THEM and I doubt I would be happy owning one.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/7/14 10:17 a.m.

I'll add my vote to the "Just get a Prius" column. I know you don't want one, but it is the best fit for your needs by far.

• They have more storage space than most cars on your list - the hatch on a 2g or 3g is huge.
  • They are no more "dull" than most appliance cars, and arguably more fun than a Camry, Corolla, etc.
  • They will handily crush all cars in the OP from a mileage standpoint. And almost anything else in this thread, short of a 1G insight (and a 3G prius is very close), or the Volt (depending on usage case)
  • Purchasing one has NOTHING TO DO WITH HYPERMILING. Yeah, its fun to do in a Prius when nobody is around because you can see insane mileage numbers, but there is no need to do it. In fact you can drive like a total prick on the street and still see excellent fuel mileage.
  • Per the internet, owner anecdotal evidence, consumer reports, etc... the Prius is arguably one of the most reliable cars ever made.
  • It meets or exceeds all your needs, some of your wants, and is generally the best fit for everything you've asked except for the "not a Prius" requirement.

I have a 1G Prius... which is inferior in every way to a 2G or 3G (except price), and its a fantastic appliance.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
4/7/14 11:06 a.m.

Get a Lexus-Prius, the CT200h. All the good of a Prius but with handling, looks and lux. It gives up about 2 mpg vs. a Prius and a few inches of size. 20k will get you a Premium package 2011.
Caution it won't pass semis very well with F350s on your butt. Let the F350 go first. It will last 10 more years at least, only use 1 set of brake pads every 100k miles or so and pretty much nothing every breaks.

Opti
Opti New Reader
4/7/14 11:10 a.m.

Screw the prius I have a completely irrational hate of those cars. Volts are awesome though.

Stay away from the TDIs remember we wants reliability.

I like the ST offerings if you can swing it, a colleague just picked up a focus for your budget money but we get a discount through our job so I dont know were they are without discount.

There is also a long thread in here about the abarth 500.

If it was me I'd buy something big and comfortable. Genesis sedan doesn't meet your mileage requirements but itd probably be a nice place to live everyday.

New v6 mustang.

G35 sedan. A customer bought a manual one in that's about 10 yrs old and it drives awesome for a dd, good combo of power handling and comfort. He said its not worth E36 M3 so Im guessing a newer one would tty in your budget

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
4/7/14 11:16 a.m.

Sounds like even though the OP has a prejudice against hybrids it really couldn't hurt to at least take a test drive...

Also I do strangely like the looks of the Lexus CT200h (though I would probably dislike driving it)

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
4/7/14 11:24 a.m.
Opti wrote: Stay away from the TDIs remember we wants reliability. I like the ST offerings if you can swing it, a colleague just picked up a focus for your budget money but we get a discount through our job so I dont know were they are without discount. There is also a long thread in here about the abarth 500. If it was me I'd buy something big and comfortable. Genesis sedan doesn't meet your mileage requirements but itd probably be a nice place to live everyday. New v6 mustang. G35 sedan. A customer bought a manual one in that's about 10 yrs old and it drives awesome for a dd, good combo of power handling and comfort. He said its not worth E36 M3 so Im guessing a newer one would tty in your budget

TDI unreliable and a recommendation for a G35 for a high MPG commuter thread on GRM?

I like the G35/37 sedans a lot better than the coupes, but don't think there's anything you'll do to them to squeeze 35+ MPGs out of the venerable Nissan VQ.

I like the Abarth idea, don't think it'll provide the cargo area the OP wants. Roof rack?

• Lee
Opti
Opti New Reader
4/7/14 12:22 p.m.

No the g sedans definitely dont get 35 mpg or the genesis sedan. I know the older G35s aren't very reliable with oil burning and bad manual trans, I have limited experience with newer ones, but I was under the impression they got the trans right in 08 and assumed thwy fixed the oil burning in thw last 7 years.

I was mentioning some cars that miss on 1 or 2 of his needs because we all know the obvious ones and they have all been mentioned in this threads and sometimes id you loosen up a requirement or two you can get a car you'd be much happier in.

G8 gt, reliable in stock form, makes a great dd, doesn't get 35 mpg. 26 I think.

Opti
Opti New Reader
4/7/14 1:20 p.m.

V6 newer 300/charger with 8 speed auto gets like 36 mpg.

Newer turbo stick buick thingy, regal I think.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
4/7/14 1:27 p.m.
Opti wrote: V6 newer 300/charger with 8 speed auto gets like 36 mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=34294

This one? 19 city, 31 highway, 23 combined

Does not deserve mention in a "high-mpg" thread. Get out.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
4/7/14 1:45 p.m.

I also vote for Prius for all the reasons everyone else has mentioned.

Opti
Opti New Reader
4/7/14 2:03 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin: The op already hinted he'd give up some mpg. He said he's looking at the legacy. They get like mid 20s combined. Not many cars get 35mpg combined, if that's what you want your pretty much stuck with cars built with mpg as a main concern, hybrids, diesels, and small economy cars.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/7/14 2:07 p.m.

I saw a newer Prius with the wheelcovers removed, showing off those funky, Industrial-looking alloys, and I kinda liked it.

Prius is simply the best appliance car out there. Some friends of mine bought one brand new, have put 180,000 miles on it, in BOSTON. Every body panel is dented, and they have a kid, to boot. They love it.

If it were me, I'd buy a clean, low miles 6th gen Civic with a d16 engine and a manny tranny. The HX, if I could find one.

slowride
slowride Reader
4/7/14 2:09 p.m.

I like my skyactiv Mazda 3, but I get more like 31/32 mpg in mixed driving. Although that may go up with the temperature. I would also suggest sitting in one for a while before buying, the seats are a bit confining.

Opti
Opti New Reader
4/7/14 2:23 p.m.

Kia optima haz turbo and is supposed to get 34 mpg highway.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
4/7/14 2:36 p.m.

Opti should post the Charger/300 since the OP posted Subarus.

Ford Fusion Hybrid, price would close. Maybe the new C-Max if you just didn't want to go with the Prius or the TDI.

Which both seem to be the answer

beans
beans Dork
4/7/14 3:41 p.m.

Accord V6 hybrid

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
4/7/14 5:29 p.m.

I think the correct answer is the Mazda 3. Hard to beat "Zoom-Zoom" and Mazda seem to be the only car company that get it.

Just to open the box a bit, have you looked at a used FRS? They gots to be getting down into your price range by now, and while the backseats are a joke,(or crime) I can confirm that they will (just) swallow 4 rims and tires. So that covers your cargo needs right?

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
4/8/14 9:04 a.m.
NOHOME wrote: I think the correct answer is the Mazda 3. Hard to beat "Zoom-Zoom" and Mazda seem to be the only car company that get it. Just to open the box a bit, have you looked at a used FRS? They gots to be getting down into your price range by now, and while the backseats are a joke,(or crime) I can confirm that they will (just) swallow 4 rims and tires. So that covers your cargo needs right?

The BRZ would be great but it would be the exact opposite of a "responsible purchase" that I'm trying to make! The Mazda3 is definitely something I want to look into though.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
4/8/14 9:27 a.m.

Any thoughts on that new Skyactive system? The long term reliability prospects of it are a bit of a concern to me.

I still say, 6th gen civic. I found one near me, a rust free, 100k mile example, 4 door with a stick, power windows, for $2500. Add $600 to have a shop do the timing belt and water pump, and you've got a car good for another 150k miles until the head gasket pops.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
4/8/14 12:30 p.m.

2013 or -14 Accord Sport. Your choice of transmissions, mileage in the 30s, roomy, comfortable, has all the dress-up stuff of the V6 without the price penalty.

wspohn
wspohn Reader
4/8/14 1:52 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: I'm in the exact same boat and right now the Mazda 3 is my favorite

That's what we just bought for the wife. Best chassis by far - the Toyotas etc. feel absolutely dead. We got a new 2013 2 litre but the Skyactiv engines will likely get even better mileage. But can you stay away from a Mazdaspeed turbo version if you find one at the right price?

slowride
slowride Reader
4/8/14 2:24 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: Any thoughts on that new Skyactive system? The long term reliability prospects of it are a bit of a concern to me.

Which part, the direct injection? I've got 23,000 miles on mine now, no issues so far. Obviously that's not enough and I'm only one dude though.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
4/8/14 2:39 p.m.

Just checking in to make sure someone on the boards has said VW's are reliable cars. Yes they have. OH GOOD. (exits thread)

sigh

skierd
skierd Dork
4/9/14 12:27 a.m.

Was just in the same boat as I got tired of looking at the 17ish mpg my '13 V6 Mustang was averaging on my almost all city driving sales route. It was fine on the one day I had a long highway drive where it got it's advertised 29mpg, but I was putting a second car payment in the tank every month, plus insurance. I went out expecting an econobox and was pretty set on buying a Fiesta, until I went to the Mazda dealer to look at a new Mazda3 with the Skyactiv...

..and came home with a new Mazda6 iSport. $22kish, no options except foglights, 6spd manual trans. Averaging 28mpg on the same route as the Mustang, and has showed me nearly 40mpg on the few 55mph highway drives I've done so far, 36-38 at 65mph. Its fun to drive, especially with the stick, and the motor is willing if a bit weak (at least coming from the Mustang) plus getting better as it breaks in. I'm about the same size as you and this car has tons of room. It's not the pure driver's cockpit that the Miata, an S2000, or even the Mustang had, but it's a pleasant place to spend 4-6 hours a day like I do every day. The interior is really well laid out and intuitive to use, probably better than any other car I've owned. And, thank the lord, it's got a normal double DIN radio too so future upgrades are actually possible. And it's got a real backseat that can fit actual adults in comfort. The trunk is huge-ish too. Reading up on Mazda's development on their Skyactiv technologies, they took existing technology and pushed it to the nth degree to make a fuel efficient car that's roomy, quiet, and comfy and the motor is, in true Mazda fashion, just powerful enough.

Yes its over your budget, but compared to the 3 you'll save the payment difference on your insurance. The 3 cost as much to insure as the Mustang for some reason, and both cars get similar enough gas mileage. And it's worth it for the extra space.

It still feels weird having an 'adult' car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p8EQ6cA96YKdOlh1UKqfOw55UMTsYN7BdU2PC6GFVO1J2lHhHTpVV55StepQCp7R