1 2 3 4
petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
1/14/14 11:41 a.m.

:(

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
1/14/14 11:50 a.m.

It hit me that I hadn't seen any posts from him for a while just as I saw this thread RIP

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
1/14/14 12:31 p.m.

Wow... I had no idea... I was wondering why I haven't seen him on here in a while. Very sad, and too damn young. Rest in peace.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
1/14/14 12:32 p.m.

That's awful. John always seemed like a cool guy on the forum. The Yacht Club was a neat idea and the Fourty-Niner was badass! RIP, dude.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/14/14 12:56 p.m.

R.I.P.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/14/14 1:07 p.m.

I looked him up here on the board.
He had 612 postings and this link should take you to all of them:
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/jhaas/comments/

Seems his last was May 1st 2013, sealing after welding a gas tank. http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/what-epoxy-to-use/63774/page1/

Here is a cool photo he posted of his driveway.
In this thread about the GRM Edsel wagon, JHass comments that this is once what his '64 LeSabre wagon looked like, one week before a planned family road trip in the wagon.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/14/14 1:37 p.m.

Wow. That sucks. My thoughts go out to his family.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
1/14/14 1:45 p.m.

The car looks familiar as does the name. Sounds like he lived a good 39 years. Good for him.

You guys know me. I don't mourn a death, I celebrate a life. What an awesome article on his life.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/14/14 2:26 p.m.

man.

too early.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
1/14/14 2:32 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And here's his $2007 Challenge car. Way cool doesn't even behind to describe it: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/forty-niner/

I loved that article....no idea that he was gone. My thoughts are with him and his family.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
1/14/14 3:14 p.m.

Man, what a shame. I always looked forward to his postings.

Rest in peace Jon.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
1/14/14 3:24 p.m.

RIP
Gone way too soon.
This reminds me that our time here is limited... and I need to go about what I want to do TODAY

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
1/14/14 3:38 p.m.

Wow is right. It's amazing that you can talk to someone on a forum and really know nothing about them, beyond a cool car built for the Challenge (it's one of my all time favorite challenge cars). He accomplished a lot during his 39 years and touched many lives. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/14/14 4:27 p.m.

crud.

I was passing through in May, with full intent of swinging by the Yacht Club and stealing the eVilalliance trophy from behind the bar. Had the full plan, accomplice, decoy, everything.

Didn't do it because I was running late and short on time. Missed opportunity. Stupid.

Perhaps it's just as well...

That trophy belongs on the back bar in the Yacht Club forever.

Rest in peace, creative one.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
1/14/14 4:51 p.m.

Wow that is really sad. Talked to him a bit at a couple of the challenges, great guy sorry to hear it

BBC

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
1/14/14 6:06 p.m.

Count me among the saddened although we'd never met. The folks here are family and this is definitely a great loss to our family.

RIP friend

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/14/14 6:12 p.m.

Thanks for letting us know, David. Rest in peace Jon.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/14/14 6:13 p.m.

Just heard this morning, too. It's been a rough day. That dude got a lot done in a short span of time. He's one of those dudes I always figured I'd get to know better at some point. He will be missed for sure.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
1/14/14 6:14 p.m.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/14/14 6:51 p.m.

I am stunned, Jon, we regret your passing but loved your life.

RIP, cruising Heaven with Pigeon riding shotgun in the 49

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Reader
1/14/14 6:51 p.m.

Heard this from a friend of Haas (UT Architecture school classmate) who works with me, but I didn't know his handle on this board. Young family is without a father/husband.

Godspeed cool car guy who was much more than just a cool car guy.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
1/14/14 7:31 p.m.

RIP.

Pat
Pat HalfDork
1/14/14 7:35 p.m.

What terrible news....my heart goes out to his wife and children. He was one of the reasons I got so into the challenge in '07. Definitely a good guy. RIP.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
1/14/14 7:38 p.m.

Very, very saddened by this. Unlike any other board on the internet, here we are family. I corresponded with John a few times about a story I did a few years ago, a great and helpful guy.

Yes, we never have a guarantee of how long we have. If you have something important to you in your future plans, make it happen sooner rather than later.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/14/14 7:44 p.m.

David that sucks. It's not like he was doing something he enjoyed, not like you can stave it off by doing a few sit ups and being an adult; this is a T-Bone blind side when you had the right of way.

Add it to my list of crap done for some reason I'll never understand ......

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qAsIjRIiiSN1QkkY9IdRHBzNhmvR7tGsF1rnsU9rVmdXPTkmQlpiz9uEAsdDvdOL