1 2 3 4
curtis73
curtis73 UltraDork
1/14/14 7:46 p.m.

Dang it. Great guy.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
1/14/14 7:49 p.m.
SVreX wrote: crud. I was passing through in May, with full intent of swinging by the Yacht Club and stealing the eVilalliance trophy from behind the bar. Had the full plan, accomplice, decoy, everything. Didn't do it because I was running late and short on time. Missed opportunity. Stupid. Perhaps it's just as well... That trophy belongs on the back bar in the Yacht Club forever. Rest in peace, creative one.

+1. It just never happened. We weren't sure if he'd have a laugh, or we'd have a hit out on us for taking the trophy. Or maybe both. berkeley. Too late now. I am not handling this well.

alex
alex UberDork
1/14/14 7:52 p.m.

Damn. I didn't know the man, but I know I liked him. His Forty Niner and the barcade are both ideas that are never far from my mind, and both are things I've told myself I'll get to doing before long. With his passing, I think I'll let him teach me one more lesson: don't wait. Planning begins tomorrow.

Adios, jhaas. Thanks for being you.

problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
1/14/14 7:53 p.m.

I actually made it to the Yacht Club in 2012. I was on my way to Deal's Gap and dropped in unannounced. Unfortunately, even then, I was too late. I was told he was very sick and the prognosis wasn't good. I'd been meaning to inquire about him lately, but was scared I'd hear news like this...

Rest in peace John. You were inspirational.

travellering
travellering New Reader
1/14/14 8:15 p.m.

I never knew Mr. Haas as a car guy unfortunately, but as the cool prof in a furniture design class I took at UT. At the end of the semester I wound up with a weird but awesome table/shelf setup, and the next semester I found out about the house resto-mods he did in his spare time. Just a few months after graduation I saw the Fourty-Niner in GRM, and promised myself if I was ever near the Architecture building I'd stop in and try to get in touch. Unfortunately the Metro Pulse obit article was the next I would hear of Jon... So much cool in such a short life. RIP Prof Haas.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
1/14/14 8:17 p.m.

I didn't know him but I remember his presence here.

Too damn young.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/14/14 8:19 p.m.

Crap. I thought maybe he was just busy and hadn't had time to post. I think I still have a grill for him out in my shed. RIP Jon.

dherr
dherr New Reader
1/14/14 8:21 p.m.

Words don't describe this.... way to young to pass. I met him at all the challenges I attended, remember his turbo 2.3 Opel GT, 914 and slammed retro rod. Loved his love of life, engineering and business mind. Great guy, John rest in peace, you lived life large!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
1/14/14 9:10 p.m.

just don't know what to say...probably spinning wrenches with Pigeon in the garage in the sky. RIP fellas

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
1/14/14 9:10 p.m.

I never met Jon but his 49'r build for the 2007 Challenge was a primary motivator to attend future Challenge Events. I didn't know of his other passions but his CV reads so deep and broad it's hard to believe it was done by one person. My heart breaks for his wife and children. Jon truly was a light that shined very brightly but for far, far to short a time.

I've been enjoying reminiscing some of his builds here.

I'm sure the last two years of his life were a battle on a scale we will never know. This is how I choose to remember his legacy. berkeley You Cancer.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
1/14/14 9:21 p.m.

Met jhaas @ challenge the year he brought the 2.3T Opel GT. Always looked forward to hanging with him @ the Challenge. Stopped in @ the Yacht Club with my wife and daughters the last time I drove through Knoxville, sure am glad I did. I had a total man-crush on that guy, full admiration for his accomplishments and attitude. RIP my friend.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
1/14/14 9:25 p.m.

E36 M3, rereading my post, just remembered that I got my signature quote from jon. Not sure if he's the originator, but I never heard it before hearing it from him.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
1/14/14 9:29 p.m.

Our little corner of the world just got a little bit worse.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
1/14/14 9:50 p.m.

Sorry to hear this, he was quite a guy.

clownkiller
clownkiller HalfDork
1/14/14 11:26 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Wow, that sucks. All my best to his family. He was able to accomplish a lot during his lifetime. A trip to the Yacht Club was on the list, still is.

corytate
corytate SuperDork
1/14/14 11:41 p.m.

Only got to meet him once when he drove from knoxville with an mr2 to trade for my s30 but he definitely made an impact. His builds on here and just his genuine awesomeness are something to admire.
He was sickly when he was here in nc but still had a hell of a fight in him and definitely seemed to be beating this thing.
He scraped part of his trailer ramp off in the gravel driveway and rewelded it on the spot with a next to useless northern flux welder.
His resourcefulness, ingenuity, and fighting spirit were an inspiration, and my thoughts go out to those who knew him better and are surely still reeling from this loss.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
1/15/14 12:13 a.m.

If he built the Opel GT from the $2006 Challenge, then I remember who he is. I was living in GA then, my wife and I were just married in June, and for my birthday she surprised me by getting me off work and driving down to watch the Challenge. It was a fantastic weekend, and the Opel was one of both my wife and I's favorite cars--I have some pics somewhere on my computer. His wife and kids will be in my prayers. Thanks for the update, David.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Dork
1/15/14 12:54 a.m.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
1/15/14 6:49 a.m.

Rip

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
1/15/14 7:04 a.m.

I never got a chance to know him personally, but I remember him from his posts.

Here's hoping that we can aspire to enrich our own lives in the same ways that he did in his short time here. Definitely an inspiration.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/15/14 7:21 a.m.
Karl La Follette wrote: Rip

What? Are you saying Tom passed also?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero SuperDork
1/15/14 7:50 a.m.

RIP JHaas. . .

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
1/15/14 7:51 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: What? Are you saying Tom passed also?

Wait...what? Please say it ain't so!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
1/15/14 7:53 a.m.

Yes Tom passed couple days after Thanksgiving . The shop is not the same . He taught me alot about cars and for that I am very grateful. Been working on his projects the Jensen .

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
1/15/14 8:41 a.m.

Man, more bad news!
RIP Mr. Clark. I always enjoyed Karl's pictures of you fixing engines. You look like an interesting dude.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wFk604w2olNsPEjNggnbTp5WcUgEsj5ts3SVEBrGlY0OcuNKKGQ1c1gsqKRd2pSP