Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/10/21 8:36 p.m.

I am trying to learn some about remote mount turbos.  

specifically turboing a car (maybe LSX type engine) that was NA from factory. 

I think I get it except how does the oil get from the previous NA oil system to the turbo, where do you take it from? 

Do you just run the oil back to the pan? Or is there there a better spot. 

Do you need an extra oil pump to get the oil from the rear of the vehicle back up to the oil pan? if so what type of pump? 

What is a good value type of line to run the oil from engine to rear mount turbo and back to the engine, is there a hard line? Or just the an flex hose type stuff? 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/10/21 9:40 p.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing setups that used a separate remote oil tank & pump closer to the turbo. 

iansane
iansane HalfDork
6/11/21 9:50 a.m.

I don't know which method is prevalent in rear turbo'd cars but either way you'd need an extra pump. My turbocharged trans am has the turbo mounted below the oil line of the car and wouldn't drain correctly so I installed a scavenge pump to pull it out. Super loud. Wish I remembered brand/model name...

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/11/21 9:56 a.m.

I looked at that problem for my fossil repower. Some of them have a separate little oil system unconnected to the motor and some use engine oil. But they all need a reservoir and a pump, and you are at the mercy of the pumps reliability. I guess the first warning you would get of a problem is the bearings shrieking.....So I mounted my turbo in such a way that I could still use a lengthened pressure line and gravity drain. 

obsolete
obsolete Reader
6/11/21 10:09 a.m.

I helped a friend build a Subaru with low-mounted twin turbos. He's taking oil pressure off a sandwich adapter at the filter mount. Oil feed lines are stainless braided teflon -4 AN, oil drain lines are regular 3/4" rubber hose. There is no separate oil sump, both turbos just gravity-drain into a tee fitting on one of these, which pumps the oil back up into the pan: http://www.turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Base-Model_Pump/Base-Model_Pump.html. The pump is wired on its own relay triggered by the fuel pump relay. It's been working great for a couple of years now.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
6/11/21 10:40 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

That's what I have! Turbowerx pump. Maybe even that same model.

6/11/21 11:03 a.m.

Thanks, if you would already need a separate scavenge pump and a resivor, what is the benefit of still using the engine oil as opposed to its own separate system? 

6/11/21 11:04 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

So that pump is directly off the turbo and then the rubber line back to the pan? 

obsolete
obsolete Reader
6/11/21 11:19 a.m.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

Thanks, if you would already need a separate scavenge pump and a resivor, what is the benefit of still using the engine oil as opposed to its own separate system? 

Well, you get the pressurized oil supply from the engine's oil pump for "free". So you don't need another pump to do that.

Somebeach (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to obsolete :

So that pump is directly off the turbo and then the rubber line back to the pan? 

Right, there is no turbo oil drain sump. The pump is mounted lower than the turbos, so they both just drain down into the pump inlet. If the pump had to be mounted higher than the turbos for some reason, I'd want a sump that was lower than the turbos for the oil to drain into, and the pump to scavenge from. Turbowerks says their pump will self-prime and draw oil up 8 feet, but I haven't seen an example where this actually works well on a car. People who set their systems up this way all seem to complain about smoky exhaust, and end up building a sump or relocating the pump to fix it.

obsolete
obsolete Reader
6/11/21 11:21 a.m.
iansane said:

In reply to obsolete :

That's what I have! Turbowerx pump. Maybe even that same model.

Yeah, I think it's a pretty nice product. A little louder than the fuel pump (because its relay is piggybacked off the fuel pump relay, you can hear it prime along with the fuel pump) but not audible at all over the engine once it's running. Where/how is yours mounted that it's super loud?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kX3tUseOU2ciSNo36q0srE8jQb1d2CkAxAP8OsT0lPffiPOr09ejZxR627EPJFya