1 2 3
Zneed4speed
Zneed4speed None
11/29/11 2:27 p.m.

The December issue sure has me jonesin' for a V8 996! Looks like all I would need is internet access and a pile of money!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/29/11 2:29 p.m.

They do put together impressive machines. While the 996 is tasty, they have an even more impressive LSX swap in the works.

From what I hear the (secret) car is more than 70% done. Hopefully it will break cover soon!

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/29/11 3:09 p.m.

I just found on a local car forum that there's a Renegade 996 near me - I'll have to track it down once it comes back out to play in the Spring.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/29/11 3:51 p.m.

Do your homework, Renegade has a TERRIBLE reputation for piss-poor quality that is only beaten by their abysmal customer service.
All the LSX Porsche guys know to avoid them.

imirk
imirk Reader
11/29/11 3:58 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

Can't be worse than Hennessey.. Right?

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/29/11 4:15 p.m.

My guess is that the negative rap was from the previous owners of Renegade. I've met the guys working there now and they seem to be high quality folks, who make amazing machinery.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
11/29/11 4:19 p.m.

I've heard it's an LS7 Boxster

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
11/29/11 4:30 p.m.
oldtin wrote: I've heard it's an LS7 Boxster

That would be interesting!

thunderzy
thunderzy New Reader
11/29/11 6:11 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
oldtin wrote: I've heard it's an LS7 Boxster
That would be interesting!

HELL YESSS!!

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/29/11 7:11 p.m.
imirk wrote: In reply to DrBoost: Can't be worse than Hennessey.. Right?

I don't really know. Did Hennessey actually BUY forums just so they could sensor folks talking about piss-poor product and service? Renegade did. Are there guys, many guys out there that have kits where crappy welds cracked on motor mounts and aren't getting e-mail or phone calls returned? Does Hennessey buy headers from a company, grind off the I.D. plate, modify one runner then sell it as their own (and ignore the fact that the headers all crack where they ground it)?

After what I read, I feel I should warn folks of what's out there. If you are thinking of doing a swap, research it. There are other companies that are up front and honorable.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
11/30/11 9:18 a.m.

Renegade has a very poor reputation amongst the Porsche 944 LSx hybrid group. They also closed down all the hybrid boards resulting in a loss of a lot of good information.

Texas Performance Concepts is a very good swap company to deal with and currently runs the only 944 LS hybrid forum board.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
11/30/11 9:29 a.m.

why does the idea of an LS powered 944 make me giggle like a little girl?

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/30/11 11:02 a.m.
docwyte wrote: Renegade has a very poor reputation amongst the Porsche 944 LSx hybrid group. They also closed down all the hybrid boards resulting in a loss of a lot of good information. Texas Performance Concepts is a very good swap company to deal with and currently runs the only 944 LS hybrid forum board.

Not that I am saying what they did was anything less than egregious, but how many 944 LS hybrid forums do there need to be?

There aren't even any good "stock" 944 forums out there.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
11/30/11 11:05 a.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: My guess is that the negative rap was from the previous owners of Renegade. I've met the guys working there now and they seem to be high quality folks, who make amazing machinery.

Well, wouldn't you put your best foot forward when a journalist is visiting your business for the chance of promotion towards a readership that could be considered core to their business? Especially if that readership is slightly miffed at their recent efforts with regards to consolidation of 944 V8 swap information and gaining market share in a very small market.

I think if they chose to embrace the guys they've screwed and give them access to their site back, along with the information they created and announce that they are willing to let bygones be bygones, that might help improve the 944 V8 swap environment considerably by providing feedback and possible solutions to problems that both sides face. Until that olive branch is extended, they will live on with that dark spot on their shiny armor. Doesn't matter if it was the "previous owners" that put that spot there. It is their business, they can choose to buff it out or live with the ugly spot.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade Dork
11/30/11 11:11 a.m.

There's this guy on the ls1tech.com boards doing it his own way. I think he's close to done.

Video of nearly completed car.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
11/30/11 12:45 p.m.

I'm sure one forum is plenty, but it'd be nice to have all the information that was lost on the other forums back.

BTW, a LS1 in a 944 is a lot of fun! I'm doing off season projects to mine, but it was a hoot to drive this summer.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/30/11 1:02 p.m.

I don't care how many forums there is or needs to be. When a company buys forums with the sole intent of censoring folks that have grievances, that's just wrong. There were other guys out there that figured out a different way to do this or that, they censored them as well. Renegade is a shady company with terrible business practices. I was a little surprised to see GRM sing their praises, naturally they weren't aware of this stuff. That's why I post and warn folks. Do you homework is the only thing I have to say.
There was (and still is) a company that made aftermarket stuff for Jeeps. The quality was terrible, I mean terrible. When I was active on Jeep boards we would warn folks. Just trying to protect like-minded gear heads.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
11/30/11 1:35 p.m.
DoctorBlade wrote: There's this guy on the ls1tech.com boards doing it his own way. I think he's close to done. Video of nearly completed car.

Uh...dude...that's a turbo! Widebody and AWD FTW!

It's unfortunate that there was an engine fire, as that Mezger engine was VASTLY superior to any LS engine, but I still approve...

Looks like wicked fun.

Zneed4speed
Zneed4speed New Reader
11/30/11 2:11 p.m.

Thanks for the caution. I guess its always Caveat Emptor/Buyer beware.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/30/11 2:14 p.m.

I've talked to more people who love their work than are dissatisfied. Peter Brock's endorsement carries weight with me, at least more than an anonymous internet complaint.

That said, I have trouble letting my car go to anybody. A Factory Five Hot Rod, Westfield, or the upcoming Factory Five project 918 appeal to me more than an LS Porsche. Except maybe an LS-powered 914...

Zneed4speed
Zneed4speed New Reader
11/30/11 2:20 p.m.

Brock mentions the $185,000 GT3 in the article then says something to the extent that the article car can be had for 1/8th of that price. Nice writing btw as that sounds better than 12.xxx%. Anyway thats $23,125. Does that sound plausible? He said $10k for the C4, $7700 for the kit, and I guess the rest is installation/other parts?

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/30/11 2:31 p.m.

I'll take the evidence of many, many complaints and the censored forums I've BEEN TO that show me they are a crappy company with shady practices. We've all read many posts on this board about how great you folks are to us. That's one reason that, when I was out of work I still upped my sub. I like this mag and what it stands for.
That company is the opposite of GRM. If I had a problem with something GRM and posted it here it woudl be addressed, not censored. If you guys got e-mails and posts from us that your stickers were somehow making our cars slower you'd address it, not shut the site down.
I'm sure you saw positive looking stuff, (I'd do the same if a magazine that could bring me customers was coming to visit) but to deny the credibility of many, many customers that have documented problems seems shallow.
I'm not attacking GRM for posting or covering Renegade, only imploring folks to research things before you spend your money.

docwyte
docwyte Reader
11/30/11 3:02 p.m.

Tom,

Go here http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/ and ask people about Renegade.

DrBoost isn't making any of that stuff up.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
11/30/11 3:28 p.m.

I wouldn't insinuate that Doc is making anything up. I appreciate his message. I am also saying that the current leadership is making what appears to be quality stuff, and is being praised by folks who I trust.

Given the choice of second hand information from people I know and trust vs. second hand information about unhappy former customers from the internet, I typically go with who I know.

The warning is certainly worth paying attention to. I'm just saying I won't damn a company for what a previous owner had done. Maybe changing the company name when the ownership changed would have been wise. I dunno, I'm just sharing an opinion like the rest of you.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/30/11 3:45 p.m.

I hear ya Tom. I agree with what someone else said, if they tried to correct those wrongs I'd give them more credit. Until then, I'll make motor mounts myself and fab myown headers.
While I do give credit to what someone like Broc says I also know a company will treat someone like Broc much, much better than they would someone like me who is only dropping a grand or two.....

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qZRvW3dM4rnG1zON0KLQ8NXV2NLprOeO5ZFsYrpE7NYjbQIJznXijQbRWr43gLBx