Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/12/22 9:57 a.m.

So, neon dash parts were crap 20 years ago, and southern sun didn't make it any better. 

I have some i tact dash pieces to ise to replace the really broken stuff in there now. However, theres some cracks forming at the mounts already. I want to repair and reinforce before installing. 

Any ideas?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/12/22 10:51 a.m.

JB weld? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/12/22 10:53 a.m.

You need to figure out what kind of plastic it is, that'll help a lot. On the ABS fenders on my CRX, I use ABS pipe melted in acetone to make a slurry and drywall mesh tape as structure.

Dusterbd13-michael
8/12/22 11:01 a.m.

no idea what kind of plastic, honestly. 

Any ideas?

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/12/22 11:07 a.m.
dean1484 said:

JB weld? 

That's really meant for metal. Regular old epoxy is probably a better bet.

Also, I think this is going to be a great use for 3D printing. I made a few things on my Ender3 for the interior of the 944. Especially as more and more of this stuff goes out of stock.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/12/22 11:16 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael
8/12/22 11:30 a.m.

That loctite superglue on that link looks like the ticket Keith!

Wouldn't do reinforcement though....

Keep the ideas coming!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/12/22 12:55 p.m.

For reinforcement, you use the glue to attach more PGM or something else with a bit of strength to the back :) If it works on metal, you could form some aluminum pieces.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
8/12/22 1:46 p.m.

I have had really good results with a thixotropic (doesn't run - stays where you put it) Hysol epoxy.  I used to have the Hysol numbers, but usually just buy it rebranded from here:  BVM Aeropoxy

I discovered it when I was building RC helicopters, and have used it to bond fiberglass, carbon fiber, aluminum, plastic, wood, you name it.  On my Miata, I used it to stabilize/repair several dash cracks, and it has survived years of track abuse.  I cut a small piece of aluminum sheet to bridge the crack, and use the epoxy in the crack, and to fix the aluminum to the plastic.

It's not cheap, but worth it, because it works.  The only other downside is a fairly long cure time (24+ hours), but they do have a version that cures faster... linked from the linked page.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/12/22 5:45 p.m.

IIRC I've used Hysol for carbon fiber. Pretty awesome stuff.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/12/22 8:44 p.m.

On the Camaro I used fiberglass cloth and resin on the back to strengthen and reinforce cracked pieces.  The consoles are hard to find so I did a lot of repair work.  I used the same techniques on the plastic fenders to repair the broken parts.  

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
8/12/22 10:51 p.m.

Have you thought about using your good parts to make molds so you can reproduce the parts in fiberglass?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/13/22 2:13 p.m.

PGM is polyester glass mat from what I recall.  It's kinda fallen out of favor for interior trim pieces as it's a thermoset material not thermoplastic, hence not recyclable or capable of in-process/in-plant granulate and reclaim like thermoplastics now in use for these parts like PP and TPO (polypropylene and thermoplastic olefin-similar materials) that are very hard to bond to.  I would think the PGM with a good surface clean and scuff you would be able to achieve good adhesion of a new cruciform mount.  

Dusterbd13-michael
8/13/22 2:25 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

That was English, right? Can you explain just what you said in small, monosyllabic words? Never forget, im a redneck social worker from the rural south.....

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
8/13/22 10:38 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to wawazat :

That was English, right? Can you explain just what you said in small, monosyllabic words? Never forget, im a redneck social worker from the rural south.....

I'll try to translate for you...

"PGM is polyester glass mat from what I recall."  Polyester resin and fiberglass mat, the cheap stuff you find at Autozone, etc.

"It's kinda fallen out of favor for interior trim pieces as it's a thermoset material not thermoplastic," The hardening process of polyester resin is a thermoset reaction, if you touch the part while hardening, it will feel warm/hot and can actually catch fire with too much hardner.  Thermoplastics are materials that can be shaped or molded by heating.

"hence not recyclable or capable of in-process/in-plant granulate"  You can't grind them up, melt them down and make something else.

"thermoplastics now in use for these parts like PP and TPO (polypropylene and thermoplastic olefin-similar materials) that are very hard to bond to."  These you can grind, melt and use again but they are hard to glue stuff to or glue together or repair. 

"PGM with a good surface clean and scuff you would be able to achieve good adhesion of a new cruciform mount."  If you rough up the surface, fiberglass mounting points can be "glued" onto the part with resin.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/15/22 9:20 a.m.

Something from the Classic Motorsports site that might help:

How to Repair Plastic Trim

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/15/22 10:49 a.m.
triumph7 said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to wawazat :

I'll try to translate for you...

"PGM is polyester glass mat from what I recall."  Polyester resin and fiberglass mat, the cheap stuff you find at Autozone, etc.

"It's kinda fallen out of favor for interior trim pieces as it's a thermoset material not thermoplastic," The hardening process of polyester resin is a thermoset reaction, if you touch the part while hardening, it will feel warm/hot and can actually catch fire with too much hardner.  Thermoplastics are materials that can be shaped or molded by heating.

"hence not recyclable or capable of in-process/in-plant granulate"  You can't grind them up, melt them down and make something else.

"thermoplastics now in use for these parts like PP and TPO (polypropylene and thermoplastic olefin-similar materials) that are very hard to bond to."  These you can grind, melt and use again but they are hard to glue stuff to or glue together or repair. 

"PGM with a good surface clean and scuff you would be able to achieve good adhesion of a new cruciform mount."  If you rough up the surface, fiberglass mounting points can be "glued" onto the part with resin.

Well translated!  Thank you.  Sorry Michael I've been away from the computer for a while.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/15/22 10:49 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

In reply to wawazat :

Haha!  Sorry my friend.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UberDork
8/15/22 4:15 p.m.

I remember reading in Road racing World and Motorcycle Technology that a paste made of super glue and baking soda can be used to repair plastic body panels on sport bikes. I never tried it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5yKtPIYKGd9s19jhSVJfYNdiB4bd9RE4w5RK2h1946stAW2JWYebJFtxhivXys7w