1 2
Ottawa
Ottawa Reader
4/17/21 6:51 p.m.

OK well I've owned two elements (one for 15 years since we bought it new) and I agree there is no viable new vehicle replacement for sale at this time. In the end we decided to go for a Kia Soul, it is a dramatic compromise for space usability but has the reliability and packed with features at a reasonable cost. Test drove a Transit Connect (flat floor for the win) but seemed too van like and I couldn't locate a short wheelbase version in Canada. I would sell one/both of our vehicles to buy an reborn Element, that's for sure. As Keith said they are well used and as reliable as they are they just wear out.

And yes our hauled dogs for all of those years, the high roof with flat floor combination in a vehicle with that short a wheelbase is the ideal urban pack mover. Or bike, or major appliance (still in the box), or sofa with the tailgate down, etc.

Damn I miss ours...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/17/21 6:59 p.m.

There is no suitable replacement for a Honda Element. 

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
4/17/21 8:35 p.m.

I had a 2011 Element when I was in Virginia.  Bought brand new, it never saw dogs nor surf boards but hauled plenty of scrap and car parts.  Mileage was under 30k when I left it 3 years ago and it was mint.  My ex-wife now owns it, and I doubt she would part with it.  I'm also not sure I would want to ask if it's for sale.  But they are out there.

My problem with the Element was the engine.  160 HP was rather anemic in Virginia.  There's no way it would have enough power here in Colorado.  We are buying an FJ Cruiser next week that will be much more apropos out here.  But it certainly won't have the cargo room that the Element had.  I wonder if anyone has swapped a V6 into an Element.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
4/17/21 9:01 p.m.

I'd like to build a front wheel drive turbo Element. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
4/17/21 10:42 p.m.

Saw an Element on the road today, and noted that it seemed to have a smaller footprint than the Cruze that it was in front of.

I'd forgotten that the body skin was half bare plastic.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/17/21 10:46 p.m.

They started painting the lower cladding in later years, but it's hard to beat bare plastic for utility. See also: WJ Grand Cherokee. 

Qship
Qship
4/18/21 12:02 p.m.

In reply to JoeTR6 :

For those interested in V6 swap.   https://www.superfastminis.com/store/p_1042044/jv6-element-kit and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57-Il1Qq3OI

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3NBQqHQYHfptls5MqupPq2bGOFtlNwMnWQN9un4Aif6FOBNAI4Q7CedATuUPO3MN