Wally
Wally SuperDork
8/21/08 2:25 a.m.

Someone decided to shoot out some windows by the train station tonight so I find myself needing to replace a couple windows on the Cavalier. I figure the door window should be a fairly simple bolt on job but I can't figure out the quarter window. Is it glued, screwed, some kind of trick molding? It's a 99 Cavalier 2 door (yeah, I know). I'd like to get new glass in it soon before someone takes the radio and removes the last little bit of joy from my ride to work.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
8/21/08 4:47 a.m.

Probably glued in. Not a fun job if it is. Worth paying someone to do it for you. Be sure to shop around as glass replacement is a very competitive business and prices can vary quite a bit.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
8/21/08 6:37 a.m.

TIP: Do Not let the replacement firm , remove the old one. DIY... They will use the wire "cheese cutter " method. It's very efficient at removing the glue and glass..... and paint. Always a place for rust to start.

If your not in the "rust belt" it's not as big an issue. But ask anyone driving a car with rust around a windshield, "How long ago did you have that glass replaced?"

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/17/12 9:08 a.m.

ugh.. the quarter windows are the most expensive and hardest to replace due to the glue.

I agree with Sonett.. go over it yourself and remove the broken glass before taking it to the glass shop.

So how many cars lost glass?

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/17/12 9:11 a.m.

FYI, madmachine, this post is 4 years old and pulled up by a canoe last night.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UberDork
4/17/12 9:22 a.m.

Maybe a variant of this in the meantime?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tQQLhRTsJtdZx1tWUO7jgU9upwP62HHuU9RHSsORSrKfWKNZ8WTjUTqS0WQyI42p