JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/12/23 12:31 p.m.

Hopefully you read our preview of Hyundai’s effort at next weekend’s Nürburgring 24-Hour race and are excited to get real-time updates from on the ground in the Nürburgring 24 Hour live thread.

[From Spec Miata to the Nürburgring: Taylor Hagler and Hyundai take on t…

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/12/23 12:48 p.m.

a power/weight ratio of 10hp/kg or better,

Not a high bar. A 1990 Miata is eligible, even the down-rated automatic.

Very cool bit, I'm looking forward to learning more.

JG Pasterjak
5/12/23 6:12 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Yeah, but there's plenty of cheap 1-liter euro-hatches that wouldn't make the cut, and that's what they're trying to avoid, mostly to keep things somewhat safe and keep the class moving along. 

I'm honestly not sure what I'll end up in. Probably a Swift or a 1 Series from Rent4Ring, whatever Dale has sitting around that hasn't already been reserved. It's suppsed to rain, so a FWD car would actually be pretty fun.

ConiglioRampante
ConiglioRampante New Reader
5/12/23 6:49 p.m.

Looking forward to your coverage of the event(s).  

There are so many different classes that I can't keep track of them.  But it's fun to watch some 1970's car with a fox tail attached to its antenna  slowly going around and around while hot shoes like Kevin Estre are passing on the grass at 170mph in a 911 GT3.

I recall last year there were a number of incidents and close calls simply because of confusion surrounding the use of turn signals.

Slower drivers will signal "left" or "right" but overtaking drivers had to decide in a moment if that meant whether the slower car was going to the left or right, or if the slower car was telling the overtaking driver that he or she is supposed to pass on the left or right.

For whatever reason, a number of the drivers weren't on the same page on that rule or "norm."

twentyover
twentyover Dork
5/12/23 8:08 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Keith-

Maybe you should check your maths. At 10 hp/kg, a 2200 lb Miata (1 metric ton) would require 10,000 hp

Man, I hope I never have to jump THAT bar

JG Pasterjak
5/12/23 10:13 p.m.
ConiglioRampante said:

Slower drivers will signal "left" or "right" but overtaking drivers had to decide in a moment if that meant whether the slower car was going to the left or right, or if the slower car was telling the overtaking driver that he or she is supposed to pass on the left or right.

For whatever reason, a number of the drivers weren't on the same page on that rule or "norm."

Hey this was on the test!

The rule is to signal the way you are going. Anything else is a f-up.

But, yeah, this is not universal. I've run with plenty of clubs that consider the turn signal like an electronic point-by, and you flash on the side you wish to be overtaken. So I can totally get where drivers from other countries in the heat of battle rely on muscle memory and things get crazy.

One thing I was considering for the ASA car was an actual digital point by system, since giving a hand point wil be tricky in that car. Like, some illuminating arrows on the back of the car with a sticker that says "pass this side" and a momentary switch inside to activate them.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin New Reader
5/12/23 11:38 p.m.
twentyover said:
Keith Tanner said:

Keith-

Maybe you should check your maths. At 10 hp/kg, a 2200 lb Miata (1 metric ton) would require 10,000 hp

Man, I hope I never have to jump THAT bar

That math, maths. Surprised we don't see more top fuel cars on the 'ring. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cVz4aZYNsxhRqZDocOnIYiIoJP78PM7vuKJqmlp8z6gxBAh1MIapyIcMVeEpyfvD