1 2
californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
7/2/18 9:37 p.m.

Umm , a cheap 5 speed is a 924 - 944 gearbox........but with a corvair it will be running the wrong way unless you run it upside down !

A stock VW bug or bus gearbox run in a 914 with a stock corvair will give you the forward gears , 

Just bring a few $50-$100 junkyard bug gearboxes to change out...... As long as you don't do burnouts they will last.......you might want to but a shorter 4th gear in them.....

ChasH
ChasH New Reader
7/2/18 11:06 p.m.

Are the piston pins offset in the Corvair? Most are. Running the engine backwards will put the offset on the wrong side. Not sure how much of a problem it will be.

If you're putting the Corvair in a 914 the differential and ring gear can be flopped to account for the rotation-which seems a lot easier than cams and starter motor (did anyone ask about that?)

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
7/2/18 11:20 p.m.

I support all kinds of crazy engine swaps but a Corvair engine into a Porsche? 

californiamilleghia
7/3/18 10:25 a.m.

The Corvair motor is strong , 

Problems were  fan belts flopping off and bad pushrod tube seals , 

Cheap way to make a 914-6  if you can find a used Corvair to VW adapter plate .

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
7/3/18 1:08 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

Umm , a cheap 5 speed is a 924 - 944 gearbox........but with a corvair it will be running the wrong way unless you run it upside down !

A stock VW bug or bus gearbox run in a 914 with a stock corvair will give you the forward gears , 

Just bring a few $50-$100 junkyard bug gearboxes to change out...... As long as you don't do burnouts they will last.......you might want to but a shorter 4th gear in them.....

Not sure where you are, or if this will work, but I have probably 15 Porsche 944 Transmission’s in my shop and would be willing to cut you a hell of a deal

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
7/3/18 1:08 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

The Corvair motor is strong , 

Problems were  fan belts flopping off and bad pushrod tube seals , 

Cheap way to make a 914-6  if you can find a used Corvair to VW adapter plate .

Kennedy

californiamilleghia
7/3/18 5:20 p.m.

If I was younger I would work out a way to use 944 gearboxes in other cars.....

It seems like a good solid box like that needs a 2nd life !

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
7/3/18 5:35 p.m.

back in the day we used a door spring to pull the idler tight , it allowed for belt stretch and kept it tight,  no more slung belts.

Mypony
Mypony
9/4/18 9:01 a.m.

I'm going to get in here as I have a project .... and I will need a rotation swap for my project .... So a Picture is worth a 1,000 words .... I hope this is possible by flipping trans axle and installing forks on the rear of motor.

loumash
loumash New Reader
9/4/18 3:16 p.m.

I built a reverse rotation engine for my Deserter GS.  I hope to have the first start up soon.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/4/18 3:48 p.m.

A guy I used to ice race with used the Crown kit, rotating backward while cantilevered out over the front end.  You could curl the rear of the car at the bumper!

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/4/18 5:27 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Was it in a SAAB ?

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
9/4/18 10:26 p.m.

After reading this thread all I can say is that my head is spinning, but I can't figure out if it's going CW or CCW.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
9/5/18 12:08 a.m.

A Deserter GS!  I'm jealous!!

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/5/18 6:11 a.m.

No Iceracer, it was a tube frame thingie.

Mypony
Mypony New Reader
9/5/18 6:55 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 :

The motor still rotates Clock-wise .... the trans-axle is attached to the front of engine, if you look from the front of the car the motor rotates CW. from the rear (engine compartment) it looks to rotate CCW, where generator sits is the back of engine. I believe that if I take the differential loose and rotate it 180 degrees the wheels will rotate correctly. 4 forward speeds, the only thing is, this car may be a automatic transmission, for my application I would prefer a standard.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
9/5/18 7:49 a.m.

the corvair transaxle won't allow for a Flip. the engine spins , where are YOU standing in front or back. read these posts it 'splanes it.

I can debate this also, my brain allows me to see from either end.

not sure if that's Good or Bad.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/5/18 1:31 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Oh wait. I think I know the builder of that.  

loumash
loumash New Reader
9/5/18 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Jim Pettengill :

Thanks.  I finished the build of the motor a while ago, I just need to sort out the hydraulic clutch and a few things to fire it up.  I've been ignoring the car all summer, sadly.

engine rebuild

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
9/5/18 1:51 p.m.

3rd base!

(I'm sorry but these just reads like an Abbott and Costello joke)

loumash
loumash New Reader
9/5/18 1:55 p.m.

My car has a VW transaxle and a mid engine Corvair.  This all spins in the proper direction, except for the gears.  As you rev the engine the helical gears try to pull apart, not together, since the transmission is running in the opposite way as intended.  This makes it difficult to shift at hight rpm.  I reversed the engine and flipped the ring gear to hopefully solve this issue.  

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/6/18 6:45 p.m.

I belive there is a misunderstanding about the rotatation of Corvair engines.

Stock, they rotate in the convntional clock wise direction.

The revese rotation thing came about when installing in a VW type 2  due to the gearing arrangement, when using the Covair trans axle.

Seems it would have been simple to flip the ring gear in the VW box.   This esentially what was done.

The type 2 had reduction gears at the wheels which made in necc. to turn the axles opposite to the Beatle.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OaTgBzyJupFVPZLBAnz7jLoaMnuO2puK1X3EoWLGqgYPfau6eQn64KYasm1UHTZG