2 3 4 5 6
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/20/12 10:19 p.m.
mightymike wrote: Well, the budget for getting the car on the track isn't there right now, but while the body work prep is time consuming, it is relatively inexpensive. There are 7-8 layers of paint on this car! I bet it will be 100 lbs lighter when I get done. I just hope gasoline is still being produced!

Mike, I see a SARRC sticker. We may have met somewhere along the line..I drove IT for half a minute, but spent most of my 90s working turns.

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
3/21/12 2:19 a.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

It very well could be....What car were you running? I was there in 1989-1990...

friedgreencorrado
3/21/12 2:59 p.m.

In reply to mightymike:

I started working turns in 1987..wasn't until about 1992 that I got to drive. Yellow Mk.1 VW, running ITB.

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
3/22/12 10:39 a.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado: We straightened the same corners then, just a few years apart.

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
5/13/12 2:01 p.m.

The project hasn't stalled, its just going slowly:

I've finally gotten to the point in life where I enjoy working on the car as much as I will enjoy the finished project. Its great not to be under some kind of deadline or time crunch.

We also tested the Accusump and it held pressure overnight so it should be working properly. We might try to start the engine next weekend, just for fun

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
5/13/12 3:37 p.m.

First I have seen this thread, and all I can say is: Awesome!

Also, take video of the start up! Let us live through your video vicariously!

jrg77
jrg77 Reader
5/13/12 3:58 p.m.

Have fun doing the garage-play with your old love.

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
5/15/12 7:54 p.m.

What a blessed man I am. Our youngest son is home from college and re-built the carb on the race car. He wasn't even born when I was racing!

He wants to see if we can get it started this weekend...

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
5/15/12 8:10 p.m.
mightymike wrote: What a blessed man I am. Our youngest son is home from college and re-built the carb on the race car. He wasn't even born when I was racing! He wants to see if we can get it started this weekend...

Awesome :D

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
6/30/12 7:16 p.m.

The Capri lives! We got her started today, she fired right up after some basic prep. No smoke, idled well...I will post the video as soon as we can get it downloaded. It was AWESOME to hear it to run again!

mightymike
mightymike Reader
11/19/12 4:44 p.m.

Here is a video of the startup:

Capri Video

friedgreencorrado
11/19/12 4:50 p.m.

Fantastic! Is that a new window net?

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
11/19/12 4:51 p.m.

Awesome

and congrats

mightymike
mightymike Reader
11/19/12 4:59 p.m.

Old window net from the guy I bought the car back from.

Progress has been slow lately, I have been working on getting the shop completed. Our goal is to Auto X it in the spring even though it will still be in primer.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
11/19/12 5:11 p.m.
mightymike wrote: Here is a video of the startup: Capri Video

Wow, does that sound good!

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
11/19/12 5:15 p.m.

It sounds even better in real life!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/19/12 5:58 p.m.

Mike:

Congrats! Great story!!

Backing up a little on the roll cage question... the budget guidelines (welded vs bolt-in) don't apply to your car. You bought it WITH the cage, so the value of the cage is included in your $500.

Man, you are off to a fabulous start for a $2013 Challenge car! Please bring it!!

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
11/19/12 6:40 p.m.

That is really really freaking awesome!

redneckracing87
redneckracing87 New Reader
11/19/12 6:57 p.m.

Wow that is cool man.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
11/19/12 7:28 p.m.

I had kind of forgotten about the Challenge...that sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the reminder! It is in September, right?

I wonder if I could talk my boys into crewing for me?

mightymike
mightymike Reader
11/22/12 6:58 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
mightymike wrote: The tires on the car are 205/50/13. A quick check shows that there are not a lot of tire options in that size. Without wading through the SCCA/ IT and NASA regs, can you change the wheel/tire size and stay legal? Any recommendations?
I don't know about rules and changing IT wheel diameters but you can easily change tire sizing. Kumho has the V710 in a 215/50-13, Hoosier and Hankook have tires in 225/45-13 and all are pretty darn close to the same dimensions as your current tires; stickier too, I'd wager. They're gonna be pricey if you buy new but used tires are bound to be available sometime, somewhere.

How do I find out if those 215/50-13 are going to fit on my wheels and on the car?

mightymike
mightymike Reader
11/22/12 6:58 p.m.

Mods-

Can this be moved to the "build thread" section?

mightymike
mightymike Reader
12/10/12 8:05 a.m.

Still sanding-but I roped my son into helping.

I sold my racing kart (an absolute blast, but too many irons in the fire) and the funds will help with the Capri. New front calipers should arrive soon and hopefully will be ready to Auto X this spring.

I don't think I will try to make this a "challenge" build. I want to do this as a quaility "restoration" and don't want to cut corners.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
12/10/12 9:43 a.m.

In a lot of cases, you can go up in wheel diameter these days in IT classes, as there are not a lot of 13" and 14" performance tires being produced these days.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/10/12 9:58 a.m.
mightymike wrote: Still sanding-but I roped my son into helping. I sold my racing kart (an absolute blast, but too many irons in the fire) and the funds will help with the Capri. New front calipers should arrive soon and hopefully will be ready to Auto X this spring. I don't think I will try to make this a "challenge" build. I want to do this as a quaility "restoration" and don't want to cut corners.

It doesn't always involve cutting corners.

Sometimes it's more like stages. Finish it to a level to bring to the Challenge, then take it to the next level. The vast majority of the blood, sweat, and tears can go into it. Custom professional paint jobs or shop built engines have to wait 'till later.

Yours would definitely not be the first car at the Challenge that was unfinished, or had a plan to improve further after the Challenge in ways that would blow the budget.

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aCZUacB0On8oKVqA6kb7rWbwg1PQlkRkmhxapV3hl0nczr0VzEtZgkegL1VGiqkL