2 3 4
JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/9/12 8:36 p.m.
Keith wrote: Never having looked at the rulebook for this... Does the event scoring favor one sort of competition over another? For example, is taking 2 seconds off the autocross course equivalent to taking 2 seconds off the lap time for a track or the quarter mile? Or is it somehow cooked to make all of the aspects equally weighted?

brock does what brock wants....I have heard a complaint that he devalued the autocross at an earlier One Lap after a team he liked did poorly.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
5/9/12 11:19 p.m.

About a hundred miles to Brainerd. These winter-beaten roads are a far cry from smooth racetrack pavement.

Alan Cesar
5/10/12 7:18 a.m.

Mooooo.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/10/12 7:32 a.m.

I didn't know that a cow needed downforce.

Alan Cesar
5/10/12 8:54 a.m.

Ran out of time before I could bike the whole thing. Brock caught up with me at the end of the drag strip, which is also part of the road course here. It will be a good day for fast cars.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=209887458728469596010.0004bfaeebf068eeeb344

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/10/12 9:14 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: I didn't know that a cow needed downforce.

Sure they do, because of all that methane they generate.

The 'Stang is messed up fo' sho'. 'Learn how to autocross, road racer!'

Alan Cesar
5/10/12 9:30 a.m.

Leh Keen driving @ Brainerd. Already one person almost went off here, leading into the drag strip.

Alan Cesar
5/10/12 1:08 p.m.

Home track advantage: Minnesotan and Iraq veteran Eric Winsor takes 2nd place this morning behind pro driver Leh Keen. Winsor is in 6th overall.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
5/10/12 1:11 p.m.

Glad everyones ok by the sound of it. One Lap is so much fun, I hope to do it again some day.

Alan Cesar
5/10/12 1:15 p.m.

Man, he got a little overzealous, I guess. Cool down lap just now, Winsor goes off-course. Got grass all over the front and there's coolant spilled. Don't know if he damaged the radiator or just overheated, but it's not his first overheat of the week due to grass.

His mom came walking up - this is his home track, remember - and says in perfect Minnesotan: "Oh, for gosh sakes."

Alan Cesar
5/10/12 4:19 p.m.

Old school vs new school: Camaros at the bracket drags.

Alan Cesar
5/10/12 6:12 p.m.

Long day at the track. Two road course sessions, then drag races; we didn't leave until 5:30. Now we're driving the 450+ miles to Road America.

Dinner: beef jerky and Mountain Dew.

Brainerd is an excellent track with great facilities and delicious food. Andy loved driving on it. I'd like to come back sometime and drive it myself. Best cellular data service of any track I've been to, too.

Alan Cesar
5/10/12 9:06 p.m.

Oh, Wisconsin, ply me with your fine selection of cheeses.

Alan Cesar
5/11/12 7:53 a.m.

Peter Lier is here at Road America, but his car is on a trailer. He did bring a special surprise with him, though: Ann Hollis.

Alan Cesar
5/11/12 9:42 a.m.

It's the last big day of track action, and cars are getting hurt. The Magnus Evo blew its engine, Andy's brake pads are crumbling, and the Odyssey minivan lost another gear so they're packing up and heading to South Bend.

Alan Cesar
5/11/12 10:05 a.m.

The Jeep SRT8 though is in tough competition with the BMW X5M driven by Matt Farah. There's a 15-point spread between the two. Should be a close finish.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
5/11/12 1:55 p.m.

Andy looks pretty darn good going into the dry skid pad. Another top 10? Don't want to Jinx him.

Alan Cesar
5/11/12 4:06 p.m.

Flat tire on the Camaro! Trailers need spares too. Changed in five minutes on the side of the interstate.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
5/11/12 4:09 p.m.

Why do I open my mouth? 11th now. Come on dry skid pad!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
5/11/12 4:22 p.m.

I had to turn down a drive in the one lap this year, very disappointing. But I do have two friends running, one in a GTR, the other in a Corvette. They've both had good finishes, and of course I'm jealous. Along with the Targa, it's on my bucket list!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
5/15/12 2:24 p.m.

Congratulations to Andy Hollis on his 10th place finish.
The little Civic that could.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/15/12 7:16 p.m.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. It was truly another epic One Lap experience. Dramatic and fulfilling.

Huge thanks to Alan who was able to handle a bunch of the daily wrenching prep with swapping seats, airing up tires, etc. freeing me to do track walks. And he's a night owl, so his ability to handle the late transit stints was invaluable.

Watch GRM for details.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KjHSJQqFE3ITOK7GfjLnAoyCZ6jxcTt12Nsnk8FBrSF364IjJgh0M7TyW0gaZNZH