Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
12/23/21 7:28 p.m.

It's a sad day for all of us Lotus fanatics, the Elise, Exige and Evora are now out of production as the company looks to an electric future.  I like EVs, but I've been a Lotus guy since I saw my first Seven and Elite (the old one) at Watkins Glen back in the late 50s.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
12/23/21 7:31 p.m.

indecision

I'm all for electric cars but... an ev Lotus just seems wrong somehow.

"Simplify and add heavy batteries" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

nocones
nocones UberDork
12/23/21 7:34 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

They are kicking off production on the Emira.  Which seems like it is an amazing Gas engined swan song for them.   At ~$90k I'm trying to rationalize a car that's worth nearly 1/2 my house..

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/23/21 7:43 p.m.

I see electric as entirely within the Lotus ethos. Pushing the boundaries of technology. The world is in need of a small, 'light', chuckable two seat sports car. We haven't had one since the Lotus chassised Tesla and it's the obvious step for the marketplace. I'm surprised we don't have an electric Boxster replacement from Porsche yet. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
12/23/21 8:01 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

In before someone says a true Lotus is thin tubing riveted to thinner sheetmetal and uses cast off Ford running gear wink

Personally I am a little saddened, because good things coming to an end always is. But I am also really interested in what they come up with for the future.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/23/21 8:13 p.m.

Voltus?

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/23/21 8:29 p.m.
nocones said:

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

They are kicking off production on the Emira.  Which seems like it is an amazing Gas engined swan song for them.   At ~$90k I'm trying to rationalize a car that's worth nearly 1/2 my house..

I bought a new Chevrolet S10 Blazer in 1993 - old dude asked me what I paid. $19,500 out-the-door.  

Old dude laughs - I paid less than that for my house he says ($18,000 probably in the early 60's)

I paid $92,500 for my first house.  Now I'm the old guy.  

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
12/23/21 10:20 p.m.

Lemme go dig around a bit, ah yes, here it is...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motor1.com/news/535259/porsche-718-fully-electric-2025/amp/

Honsch
Honsch Reader
12/24/21 3:04 a.m.

They just need to put Tesla running gear in whatever rollers they have laying about.

That sounds familiar for some reason.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/24/21 6:52 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In before someone says a true Lotus is thin tubing riveted to thinner sheetmetal and uses cast off Ford running gear wink

Personally I am a little saddened, because good things coming to an end always is. But I am also really interested in what they come up with for the future.

<cough> Mach-E </cough>

Rigante
Rigante Reader
1/4/22 2:15 p.m.

They have a v6 emira nearly ready for launch and a 4cyl turbo on the way.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m4VyQuVyTKeipgFWBPQtzDO2ofBgbDXX0y7iezdyPM3QFjy5XSEbEMQ5GEjWyorJ