irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/20/18 7:44 p.m.

In case it hasn't been posted anywhere, long-time GRM member Harold (username Hal) Warnock passed away a few days ago. 

https://www.dbthompsonfuneralhome.com/obits/obituary.php?id=667626

He was one of the first GRM members I personally met, years ago when he came out to a rallycross to see me (and Moxnix) run at Summit Point after reading my build thread here. A really friendly guy, had a red Focus he tracked and he trucked around in a red Transit Connect for his daily driver (IIRC). One of the true "nice guys" here on GRM, among many.  He always chatted with me about rallycross and Subarus. Was cool to see a guy pushing 70 still so enthusiastic about motorsports.

He must have loved you guys too, because he dropped GRM in his obituary.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/20/18 7:46 p.m.

It was posted a day or two ago on the Off-Topic board, but it still gives us all a chance to say it's a shame again.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/20/18 7:49 p.m.
Duke said:

It was posted a day or two ago on the Off-Topic board, but it still gives us all a chance to say it's a shame again.

ah, I don't hang out there but did a quick scan and must have missed it.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
9/20/18 9:13 p.m.

I don't frequent the off-topic section, so thanks for the heads up. I feel like i've read a thousand of his posts over the years, and he always seemed to come off well, level and unpretentious. I don't think we can all claim that (myself especially). There's something great about people you can interact with with no apprehension that it's going to shift your mood for the worse. Glad he was able to enjoy this community so much! Never met him, but that makes me feel like i had a tiny part in doing something right by him. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/20/18 9:17 p.m.

I remember the first time I met him he gave me a lift to the paddock to grab lunch, in his Transit Connect. All he wanted to talk about was my mostly-stock, M10-powered e30 rallycross car, and hwo much fun he had at track days in his Focus (and plans to supercharge it).

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Dork
9/26/18 7:13 p.m.

I ran across him twice in my travels, once at Summit Point and once at Ford Carlisle. At Carlisle (2017?), he was camping in the back of the Transit Connect. He seemed like a real nice fella. I always looked for him at Summit Point. I’ll have to stop that. :(

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
9/26/18 7:19 p.m.

I did not know Hal outside of the forums, but he will certainly be missed by his extended online family. Godspeed Hal.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/28/18 8:40 p.m.

Such a good guy. I will miss him. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nh0Z5wrBHuMEw9TnpvohVznZVGSHwbUaboUR5e2MD8GLQ8wkGFY6jgToJS5sTowa