2 3 4
dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
9/12/11 9:36 a.m.

And they had the video of the incident pulled from Youtube. Here's a Daily Motion mirror of it:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdxxen_corvette-z06-bmw-m3-robin-hood-rall_auto

ronholm
ronholm Reader
9/12/11 10:36 a.m.

I guess the days of a Real Cannonball run ARE OVER!!!

i understand all the safety concerns.. yada yada yada....

Make everyone in the area signs their lives away before entering... Then let all hell break loose...

Damn in this country we used to make movies about Illegal coast to coast street racing...

Good Grief... Let them kill themselves.. I don't care... So long as they have enough caution not to kill innocents.. Bring it on...

ransom
ransom HalfDork
9/12/11 10:53 a.m.
ronholm wrote: I guess the days of a Real Cannonball run ARE OVER!!! i understand all the safety concerns.. yada yada yada.... Make everyone in the area signs their lives away before entering... Then let all hell break loose... Damn in this country we used to make movies about Illegal coast to coast street racing... Good Grief... Let them kill themselves.. I don't care... So long as they have enough caution not to kill innocents.. Bring it on...

Yes, the documentary series Smokey and the Bandit, Cannonball Run, and Cannonball Run II are icons of factual information the likes of which we just don't see anymore. Actually, we have The Fast and the Furious, which is just about identical in terms of its relationship to motorsports.

The Cannonball Run (the actual one) is pretty much at odds with the notion of "let them kill themselves as long as they don't hurt innocents". You start racing on the street, someone who never signed up for the ride is going to get hurt at some point.

When I sign a waiver when I go to spectate at a race, I do expect that there is some basic level of care paid to the notion of not getting me killed. I expect to have to pay attention and all, but creating a needlessly and stupidly dangerous situation is inexcusable both for the damage it does to the perception of motorsport, and more importantly because it sucks when people get hurt/killed, even if they were willingly taking a risk.

Motorsports are dangerous, and there is a point where all the pillows and bubble wrap in the world won't protect you. But what we have here is a high degree of danger for no berkleying reason.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eF75KflHskYOrlFvcgQcOKxry86omJiJEH0GS28zC8DSVnaP2OH4T82gF4N3LMps