1 2
CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/2/17 1:49 p.m.

I've been rallycrossing my Forester for the last year and want something a bit more sporty for this season. (also the forester would cost more to run this season than the car is worth)

Thoughts on picking up a ~$5k RSX to rallyx? I was originally looking for an EP3 Civic SI, but the RSX is easier to find and roughly the same money.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/2/17 1:54 p.m.

Shouldn't be too bad - will have an open diff up front of course, but the drivetrain is durable and the suspension in unremarkable, which means it should be decently durable as well.

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/2/17 1:58 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Shouldn't be too bad - will have an open diff up front of course, but the drivetrain is durable and the suspension in unremarkable, which means it should be decently durable as well.

I figure if I can start outdriving the open diff I'll bump up to prep/mod and swap in a jdm trans

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/2/17 2:16 p.m.

mazdeuce had a RSX rally car for a bit, so it seems like the basic foundation should be there.

Base RSX or Type S?

NickD
NickD SuperDork
5/2/17 2:27 p.m.

I've considered doing the same thing with an EP3 because they are cheap and I don't like them, so submitting them to rallycross abuse and NY winters won't upset me.

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/2/17 2:28 p.m.
Ian F wrote: mazdeuce had a RSX rally car for a bit, so it seems like the basic foundation should be there. Base RSX or Type S?

Base, there's a few stage prepped ones, but I'm definitely not taking it that far

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/2/17 2:29 p.m.
NickD wrote: I've considered doing the same thing with an EP3 because they are cheap and I don't like them, so submitting them to rallycross abuse and NY winters won't upset me.

Originally I was looking for an ep3, but he base rsx is close enough to the same car and so much easier to find. So little info about people rallycrossing them though.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/2/17 2:49 p.m.

I would try very hard to swing the cash for the S. You get a bit more power but most importantly you get the LSD. The S would be a nationally competitive stock or mod class car as it sits. My co-driver won MF at nationals a couple years ago in a Civic Si and the RSX-S is actually a much better car in my opinion. You can't believe what a difference that differential makes in the dirt. I spent way too much time working on his RSX stage rally car and I really like how they're built. They are on my short list for cars in the future. I like them a lot.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/2/17 2:52 p.m.

Never driven one on the dirt, but watching them go by when working a corner, it seemed like bump travel up front was really limited. Anyone else seen this?

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/2/17 2:53 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin:

It's not bad. Bump steer can get a little gnarly if you mess with ride height much.

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/2/17 2:54 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I'm thinking I can find a clean base for mid 4K, a clean S seems like 8-10k. For a car I'm going to rallyx I'm having a hard time justifying the money

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/2/17 3:00 p.m.

Ah, the price gap down here in Houston is much smaller. Slightly ratty base cars are $3500 and slightly ratty Type-S cars are $5k or a bit less. I agree that I wouldn't be shopping for $8-10k rallycross cars. Also watch for early Si's from the generation after the EP3. They were unloved and tend to have had calmer owners than a lot of other Hondas. They are also sub $5k down here. Bit longer and heavier than the RSX, but another option with an LSD. Can you tell how much I like that drivetrain?

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/2/17 3:32 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Man sounds like I just need to shop for a car by you

aw614
aw614 New Reader
5/2/17 3:35 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I would try very hard to swing the cash for the S. You get a bit more power but most importantly you get the LSD. The S would be a nationally competitive stock or mod class car as it sits. My co-driver won MF at nationals a couple years ago in a Civic Si and the RSX-S is actually a much better car in my opinion. You can't believe what a difference that differential makes in the dirt. I spent way too much time working on his RSX stage rally car and I really like how they're built. They are on my short list for cars in the future. I like them a lot.

The Type S doesn't have an LSD

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/2/17 3:47 p.m.

Crap, huge faux pas on my part. The rally car had one and I thought it was stock without doing my research.
I've only driven that car and the Si that comes with the LSD in dirt never a stock RSX.
I retract pretty much all of what I said aside from liking how they are out together. I still think Honda did a good job of that.

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/2/17 7:20 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Crap, huge faux pas on my part. The rally car had one and I thought it was stock without doing my research. I've only driven that car and the Si that comes with the LSD in dirt never a stock RSX. I retract pretty much all of what I said aside from liking how they are out together. I still think Honda did a good job of that.

No worries, I'm just looking at it like a more accessible ep3

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/2/17 7:31 p.m.

The only time I ever ran against an EP3, I destroyed it in times including a couple DNSes on my part after I destroyed an upper radiator hose and spent the rest of the heat looking for a mythical auto parts store.

I could suggest that this is due to the utter awesomeness of my Volvo (we both were running on identical tires, so that wasn't it) or my phenomenal driving skills, but Nationals performance suggests that this is probably not the case

The Forester should be a good ride. It's a 2.5RS with headroom and trunk space.

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/3/17 12:21 a.m.
Knurled wrote: The only time I ever ran against an EP3, I destroyed it in times including a couple DNSes on my part after I destroyed an upper radiator hose and spent the rest of the heat looking for a mythical auto parts store. I could suggest that this is due to the utter awesomeness of my Volvo (we both were running on identical tires, so that wasn't it) or my phenomenal driving skills, but Nationals performance suggests that this is probably not the case The Forester should be a good ride. It's a 2.5RS with headroom and trunk space.

What kind of Volvo?

It's a softer more rolly 2.5 and since mines a 98 it doesn't have the lsd even though it's an S trim. Basically my forester is a pile and If I was gonna race it another season I'd rather start with another shell.

Basically I want a 2wd car to learn in, and to daily if I get an SUV. Ep3/RSX seemed like the best bang for buck

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/3/17 5:53 a.m.

If you're just looking to learn car dynamics and have fun, there is a lot to be said for RWD in a rallycross car. They're a hair slower, and they are more difficult to learn to drive fast in. Mistakes tend to last longer so you have to make fewer of them to truly go fast.
A well driven FWD car on dirt is just pure fast. Nice, clean, surgically good.
A well driven RWD car on dirt is a swinging dancing ballet of movement. It is a dirt spraying violence of precision.

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/3/17 9:30 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: If you're just looking to learn car dynamics and have fun, there is a lot to be said for RWD in a rallycross car. They're a hair slower, and they are more difficult to learn to drive fast in. Mistakes tend to last longer so you have to make fewer of them to truly go fast. A well driven FWD car on dirt is just pure fast. Nice, clean, surgically good. A well driven RWD car on dirt is a swinging dancing ballet of movement. It is a dirt spraying violence of precision.

The sub 5k dailyish rwd car market is abysmal though

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/3/17 9:48 a.m.

In reply to CPTMULLER:

BMW E30? While values have been increasing, I've still seen decent ones for under $5000.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/3/17 10:48 a.m.

I hate to suggest this because I don't actually want one myself, but a Miata with a hard top makes an excellent rallycross car. They're just good.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
5/3/17 11:50 a.m.

I agree with the above.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/3/17 1:49 p.m.
CPTMULLER wrote: It's a softer more rolly 2.5 and since mines a 98 it doesn't have the lsd even though it's an S trim. Basically my forester is a pile and If I was gonna race it another season I'd rather start with another shell.

You don't have enough power to have traction problems. You don't WANT a limited slip diff, all that does is hurt your ability to turn. When you have a lot of power you can power past the handling problems that diffs introduce. You don't have a lot of power.

CPTMULLER
CPTMULLER New Reader
5/3/17 2:17 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I hate to suggest this because I don't actually want one myself, but a Miata with a hard top makes an excellent rallycross car. They're just good.

I'm keeping my eye out for a decent one, the hardtop thing is my main deterrent. I miss my 99

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u6K91ydpVnjt6khaEoec8LKnx7z9dFqXB69mhPhmNpaeI2idQjrvqJpLFW6rZo4e