1 2
buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
7/19/18 6:09 p.m.

If TNIA has it's own point-by rules, follow them. I'm very accustomed to directing traffic in races being in a bottom 1/10 car(by lap times). The main thing I find in point-bys is to be clear and don't change your mind. I like to give the faster car behind plenty of time to know they'll be passing and I like to make the side I'm point them on very obvious. I've seen plenty of last second, single finger near the shoulder point-bys that left confusion. If you point somebody by on one side, don't move over there yourself. In the same vane, if somebody points you right, go right, there's a reason. Had a car pass me in the grass in 16 at Sebring because he thought me violently motioning RIGHT meant he was going to pass on the left.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
7/19/18 7:24 p.m.

I think I'm going to this TNIA, too. 

Check your mirrors right before and during the passing zones - if you're holding someone up through the turns, we all know we need to wait and there's nothing you can do about it. Then stay on line and give a clear point by, then let the passer by you.

I'm willing to bet you'll still have a good time in your car. Don't worry about being slow. In the beginner groups, everyone is just trying to get their feet wet and be safe. Ask for help if you need it - I don't know if they assign instructors, but there will be plenty of us there who can help out.

I'll be #252 probably in the white Camaro.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
7/19/18 8:02 p.m.

Oh I forgot, we don’t do numbers at these. White Camaro, black hood :)

fusion66
fusion66 New Reader
7/26/18 7:07 a.m.

A quick follow up to Track Night in America after the event.

The advice given here was very much appreciated. If the goal was to have fun it was a success. The Fusion was certainly slow as anticipated but it did decent on everything but accelerating. The 7-8-9 turn combo suited it quite well and I was surprised at the speed it would carry going into turn 10 (a little too surprised once as I got a bit squirrely late braking into 10 but did keep it on the track).

I became quite proficient at point bys and did a good job of checking mirrors and getting everyone by at the next available passing zone. I can definitely understand the potential value of in car instruction as I played with different lines throughout the night. I was conservative on the braking zones as I could smell my brakes pretty early in each session but managed to avoid any notable fade. I opted to not run the last session as the Fusion was definitely suffering a bit under the high rpm stress and I needed it to get me back home.

It was nice to meet akylekoz and he helped ease my concerns with some good general discussion before my first track sessions. Overall a very fun evening and a good introduction to track driving. Thanks again to all that offered advice or encouragement.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
7/26/18 8:30 a.m.

This was my first TNiA, it was very well run and probably the best event for a novice to get on track.  Plenty of before and after Q and A sessions.

The run groups are based on your comfort level with passing and getting passed.  There was concern on my part over selecting the correct group.  There were a lot of capable machines in the paddock leaving my lowly mustang feeling out of place.  Turns out that most of the more capable cars were in the novice and intermediate groups.   With only 27 cars in each group I usually only saw two other cars in each session.

I was matched up real well with a guy in a well second gen M3, we together for two sessions, it's always fun to find someone to run with.  

Lugnut humbly shows up with his white with black hood Camaro, what was it, sweet!  ZL1?

My antique mustang survived another track day and posted a personal best on 1:54.  New lines were tried with late apex corners getting a little later.   Time for new tires as mine are old and starting to chunk.

fusion66 I hope you enjoyed yourself and had a good time, glad I was of some help.

We also met Brad from Tire Rack, he is an national level autoXer and soon to be One Laper, if you need tires ask for Brad, he's not just a salesman.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50py84sQ5LdDJEH1eSjUEWsEFcRsXYukICFvObpPsATn433IqjHYG7DnLVfw1riY