2 3 4
11110000 Reader
5/17/23 7:39 a.m.

Volvo 3-series hatch - RWD, most with CVT.  Did well on the Euro rally circuit (NEVERLIFT!)  There are a handful in the U.S., though they were never sold here.

ojannen
ojannen HalfDork
5/17/23 9:51 a.m.

Quality thread resurrection.

I don't know if they quite fit the theme but all the dads around me are taking serious looks at the Bmw 4 series grand coupe and Kia Stinger.  I think I would call them more liftbacks than hatchbacks but they have the same functionality.

The more important question is if I already own a 318ti and a Z3 coupe, should I overpay for a European e36 wagon to complete the hatch set?

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
5/17/23 10:17 p.m.
  • Alfa Romeo Stelvio
  • BMW X1 & X2
  • BMW 1 series (Europe)
  • Kia Stinger
mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/18/23 1:26 p.m.
ojannen said:

.  I think I would call them more liftbacks than hatchbacks but they have the same functionality.

I do not make a distinction. I consider the term "liftback" to be corporate adspeak to try to raise their version above what was considered the lowly "hatch back".  If the rear window lifts up either on it's own or in a door or some sort and it is not a station wagon/estate, it's a hatchback.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
5/18/23 5:42 p.m.

Datsun B210 for one, and other models.

Haven't seen one of those in dacades, though.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
5/18/23 6:47 p.m.

I still own a RWD hatchback!

You can get a LOT of stuff back there.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/18/23 7:04 p.m.
mad_machine said:
ojannen said:

.  I think I would call them more liftbacks than hatchbacks but they have the same functionality.

I do not make a distinction. I consider the term "liftback" to be corporate adspeak to try to raise their version above what was considered the lowly "hatch back".  If the rear window lifts up either on it's own or in a door or some sort and it is not a station wagon/estate, it's a hatchback.

I always thought the difference was, to put it simply, if you could get into the cargo area from the inside of the car, it is a hatchback, but if the tailgate sealed off the cargo area from the interior, it's a liftback.

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
5/18/23 8:31 p.m.

Not quite light, but my first car was almost a first gen Skyhawk. Hatch, FR, V6. I don't know that I have ever seen another, though.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/19/23 12:17 a.m.
ojannen said:

The more important question is if I already own a 318ti and a Z3 coupe, should I overpay for a European e36 wagon to complete the hatch set?

Yes... yes you should.  

Caperix
Caperix Reader
5/19/23 7:28 a.m.

The e36 touring are starting to come into the US in larger numbers now.  They are not quite as expensive as e30 tourings & look like they would be easier to drive daily.

E46 compacts are getting close to the 25 year mark.  Other than the weird front end those look to be fun.  I am waiting for the 3 door hatch e81 1 series to hit 25 years myself.

Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
5/19/23 7:50 a.m.
Caperix said:

The e36 touring are starting to come into the US in larger numbers now.  They are not quite as expensive as e30 tourings & look like they would be easier to drive daily.

I was originally looking for an E30 Touring, but those are the exact reasons I ended up with the E36... better value and overall, a more useable vehicle than an E30.  There were probably 8-10 E36 Tourings that hit the various auction sites from Jan-Mar this year, but they've been scarce since.  

Opti
Opti SuperDork
5/19/23 10:41 a.m.

Just came by the say the obvious based on my screen name

93-02 Fbody

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/19/23 10:59 a.m.

Just about every non-convertible or non-FRC Corvette.

iansane
iansane Dork
5/19/23 11:08 a.m.
Opti said:

Just came by the say the obvious based on my screen name

82-02 Fbody

ftfy.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
5/19/23 1:03 p.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:

Just about every non-convertible or non-FRC Corvette.

The rear glass was fixed for many many years, with no "trunk" lid.  You want to put something back there, you wedged them past the seats.

The guy who did the first shooting brake conversion did so to make it easier to travel with his large dog.

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
5/19/23 1:46 p.m.

Pintos are mentioned so many times at this point... I'll just drop a picture

Photo Credit : FastAutoFocus

But if I were to start over, I'd use a vega wagon!

Opti
Opti SuperDork
5/19/23 2:38 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

c4s the glass came up, not sure if that makes it a hatch back. C5 (non FRCs) -C7s where hatchbacks. I hauled lumber in my C5 thanks to its cavernous hatch

Opti
Opti SuperDork
5/19/23 2:38 p.m.

In reply to iansane :

Good point. 

Excuse my omission.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
5/19/23 3:35 p.m.

Don't think anyone mentioned the Cayman.  

they are remarkably practical daily drivers, other than fuel economy. 

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fFzbJvs2UVm48zEQGPVqLmcbDweSWbsjIovKHyfPJWtzAQRCgPTjGOM6k3FMdWo2