dean1484
dean1484 HalfDork
2/15/09 12:29 p.m.

This motor fascinates me. I could see this in a Miata. Then again I liked the 300TD motor in a miata. It would also be fun in any generation RX. I can think of several other places that this motor would be fun.

I have looked at the design of this motor and it is a seriously engineered piece. Split block to strengthen the lower end for starters. From what I read all you have to do is change the oil regularly and they will go a very long time with no trouble.

I know that tuning it you would be on your own due to its odd valve timing (what makes it a miller cycle) but in stock trim it has good hp and torque. both around the 225-230 range. I am betting that 300 hp would not be a very hard thing to get to.

Anyway anyone seen this motor put in a RWD car? I really want to do this. I have had very bad thoughts of putting one in a 951 but like I said a RX7 or a Miata would also be great fun and much more "correct"

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
2/15/09 1:35 p.m.

part of the attraction is no doubt the fact it has forced induction, but how much higher can you reasonably turn up the boost without spending a ton of money? My guess is not far.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
2/15/09 4:30 p.m.

I think the main problem with the miller cycle mounted in a rear wheel drive car is the fact that the engine is mounted on an angle in the Millenia,and has to remain at that angle due to oiling I believe. The problem is getting that angle in a RWD car will put bits and pieces in places where they don't fit. I could be wrong though.

dean1484
dean1484 HalfDork
2/15/09 5:53 p.m.

I am just thinking of a bolt up deal with out real mods.

I did not know about the angle / tilt of the motor. that explains alot.

Hummmmm Dry Sump? or would straitening it up interfere with the oil drain back / return?

dean1484
dean1484 HalfDork
2/15/09 5:56 p.m.

It is the old problem that you would have to fabricate so much that it becomes not practical. Fun and cool yes but not practical.

RXBeetle
RXBeetle New Reader
2/15/09 6:33 p.m.

Where is the fun lost in fabrication and lack of practicality? I thought that was half the point. Just throw a turbocharger at it and make it a twin charged miller cycle engine. If you can fit a SBC in a FC RX7 you can fit anything in there. You will be awarded 42 GRM points upon completion. DO IT!!!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
2/15/09 7:42 p.m.

I believe there's at least one KLZE (a JDM, naturally aspirated version - same block, different cam timing) running around in a front engined RWD application. But it was pretty difficult and needed oiling system mods. I'd just try to stuff one in the back of an MX3.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
2/15/09 8:14 p.m.

If you want to see a Mazda K series V6 in a Miata look here: http://majica.net/JNR/here.htm

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/15/09 8:25 p.m.

Isn't the Miller Cycle just a cam timing thing? If so, couldn't a custom grind in any engine do the same thing?

Osterizer
Osterizer HalfDork
2/15/09 8:26 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Then again I liked the 300TD motor in a miata.

You're in luck!

It could be yours!

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
2/15/09 8:57 p.m.

Hey I didn't even notice that was you Dean. How are the kids? This is Chris in Carver from the ole MARX-7 club.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
2/15/09 10:17 p.m.

Mmmm that Miata with the KLZE sounds nice.

My buddy has the KLDE in his Probe, headers, Borla, oh so nice, shame its at nearly 190,000 and finally starting to lose compression.

atlantamx3
atlantamx3 Dork
2/15/09 10:58 p.m.

the KJ and the KL are NOT the same block.

The KJ is 90-degree and the KL is 60 degree.

Here is an overlay I made a while back to show the difference between them:

The KJ (Millenia S) is in Yellow, and the KL is in Red

The Transmission will bolt up, however.

And this is a HUGE heavy motor. Lots of wiring and weird plumbing.

more here: http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=56737&p=395921&hilit=millenia#p395921

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
2/16/09 12:08 p.m.

Sorry, thanks for clarifying that one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vAfkdudOnmoaWcwJK3NsG0vkMfOv5sMp5J7eWICI8D4XZotVzqrHz5HOn9YmwnUy