Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
2/2/12 5:52 p.m.

So we are prepping our RX-7 for March's 24hrs of lemons at infineon. The rear springs currently on the car have been cut and are a bit scary. One of the items our team would like to "fix" are these rear springs.

Ideally we would like a spring that has an ID of 4" 8-9" in length and at a rate of 200 lbs/in.

Anyone know a way I could source a set of these cheaply? From my research it seems that 4" springs are kind of hard to find.

I would be particularly interested in finding some domestic crap-pile I could raid parts out of at the junk yard. But if need be I could live with some inexpensive aftermarket parts too...

its a first gen RX-7 : http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/4646/

Knurled
Knurled Dork
2/3/12 7:52 a.m.

Find a Pathfinder in a junkyard. Once you cut them to that length they'll be in the 300lb range.

You may want to not drop the car quite so much - the scary is because of the low. The rear suspension doesn't really move when it's down super low, so it's like having a 30mm swaybar in the back.

i wonder, for a Lemons-like race, how long you could get away with seriously drilled-out upper link bushings.

weedburner
weedburner New Reader
2/3/12 11:11 a.m.

Aftermarket 5" O.D. coils are what i use, just cut 1/2 a coil from one end so that it will fit into the RX-7's lower spring pocket. I think IMCA modifieds still use 5" coils in the back and are in the same ballpark ratewise, local dirt track swap meet might be a good place to look.

weedburner
weedburner New Reader
2/3/12 11:16 a.m.

9-1/2" free height is the shortest 5" spring with a 200# rate that i see in the Speedway catalog, $55 ea. Cut 1/2 coil off to fit the RX-7 spring pocket, it would be about the right height.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
2/3/12 12:34 p.m.

Awesome info thanks guys. I didn't realize that 5" would work with just a little "haircut". I don't think that going to 10 1/2 or 11 in springs would necessarily be a bad thing. I am going to consult the rest of the team and see what they think...

Knurled
Knurled Dork
2/3/12 5:15 p.m.

I had problems fitting 5" springs without wallowing the upper spring perches out. You also will have interference with the upper links, but it'll be more annoying noises than anything.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gQtqTD7YTRaOIIbOybH5JfqjYv74LYJwepQZL9O7t56LPKsAVDtIV2LzS1DmomSJ