Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/5/16 1:12 p.m.

I know from previous conversations that they RX-8 (SE) and the NC shared from suspension and crossmember bits (making MZR Ecoboost swaps into RX-8s easy peasy) As I know some diff bits interchange. But do we have a list of swapable parts between the F-series and the N-Series chassis?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
5/5/16 1:14 p.m.

I think the transmissions and differentials of non-turbo FCs and NA6s share a lot but as far as I know, that's about it.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 Reader
5/5/16 3:22 p.m.

I know some of the NC track guys will upgrade to RX8 font hubs. The RX8 brakes are an upgrade on the NC, but require at lease 17" wheels. One of the RX8 sport sway bars is a popular upgrade for the NCs, probably the front? The track width is ~.5" different between the two, but I don't know if that is wheel offset, hubs, or control arms.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/5/16 4:50 p.m.

Does "N-series chassis" mean basically, all Miatas? NA, NB, NC, ND? Because there are very few parts that swap between those other than the NA/NB. Heck, I doubt there's a lot in common between an FB and an FD.

So you're basically asking "what parts can be put on both an RX-something and a Miata?" The biggest is going to be between the RX8 and the NC Miata, as they're basically the same car. And very few other parts will be on the list.

The ashtray of the NA6 was also used on the FB, I believe. Probably the headlight motors as well.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
5/5/16 5:07 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: (making MZR Ecoboost swaps into RX-8s easy peasy)

So says the internet, but where are all the build threads? They would be relevant to my interests...

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 Reader
5/5/16 6:01 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote:
Flight Service wrote: (making MZR Ecoboost swaps into RX-8s easy peasy)
So says the internet, but where are all the build threads? They would be relevant to my interests...

Bolting up the subframe is easy. The wiring and getting it running is another issue. Mazmart was working on putting a renesis into an NC and ran into a nightmare with the wiring. The NC and RX8 wiring harnesses are different enough that it is far from a plug and play solution.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/5/16 6:03 p.m.

I don't know of any working Ecoboost swaps, but I know there are MZR RX8s out there. I've spoken to their owners.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/5/16 6:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Does "N-series chassis" mean basically, all Miatas? NA, NB, NC, ND? Because there are very few parts that swap between those other than the NA/NB. Heck, I doubt there's a lot in common between an FB and an FD.

The pilot bearing and some of the engine O-rings are shared. So are the lugnuts, if you're talking about a GSL-SE model FB. 12A cars had bolts.

The ashtray of the NA6 was also used on the FB, I believe. Probably the headlight motors as well.

I can't speak for the headlight motors, but the ashtray thing is funny. Not the FB, but the SA had a hee-yuuge ashtray in the center console/as the center console. Fit like four packs' worth of ashes and butts in there. The cupholder assembly from a 1.6 Miata would fit in the spot where the SA ashtray goes, so you could have a cupholder in an RX-7.

SA and FB are technically the same generation (Series 1 vs. Series 2/3) but they're more different from each other than NA and NB are. Almost nothing interchanges between them except in some cases as complete assemblies. Of course, the SA was the far superior car, with a lighter, stiffer chassis, more entertaining suspension (18mm rear swaybar and I deeply suspect stiffer front springs/dampers) and a more roomy interior with a much more natural feeling shifter position. And the tach doubled as the voltmeter!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/5/16 8:10 p.m.

Maybe it was the SA, I don't actually discriminate between the two as I only just learned the difference. The NA6 has that huge ashtray. Maybe the NA8 as well, I forget. Things like ashtray trivia used to be important to me, they are no longer.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/5/16 8:32 p.m.

The easy way I think of it is, the SA is the first incarnation of the NA6. The FB is the Mazda Z31. Fat, soft, sloppy, and slow feeling.

I have heavily modified my FB but it still doesn't feel anywhere near as good as my SA did.

As far as the OP's question goes, solomiata.com has the drivetrain commonality very nicely laid out. Basically the NA8/NB is a different dialect of S3/FC in some ways, lots of similar designs although actual parts interchange will involve mixing and matching from within assemblies, or a visit to a machine shop.

Miata gearsets are popular swap to RX-7s but they require machining, for example. Every time I buy a Miata transmission for my RX-7, it gets stolen out of my garage/car. I take that as a sign that I shouldn't try to do that

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
23QkBCXh68Zoh2ATPdXsuZzMBNmpVjLwUBCxb1uObQHe7CDCKW5ZB3Bb7cYsxcSh