BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
12/13/10 7:30 p.m.

Any common causes for this? Someone local is selling an '84 GSL for cheap because it's got a paint peeling issue and supposedly low oil pressure. I'm trying to find out just how long but I was wondering if the assembled GRMitude had any ideas for common causes of this?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
12/13/10 7:49 p.m.

How low is low? With the motor good and hot if it holds 15 or so at idle and 45 or better at 2500RPM, I'd drive on and be happy. A light on does not mean anything, nor does an electric gauge. Those can be caused by bad senders. The best thing to do is screw a real live mechanical gauge in and see just what it reads.

Assuming it really is low, the causes would be the same as any boinger motor: bad relief valve, worn oil pump, worn bearings. There are two relief valves, one in the front cover and one screwed into the rear 'iron', the pan has to come off to get to either, not difficult. Worn bearings mean it's all got to come out and apart, just like a boinger.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
12/13/10 8:42 p.m.

I'm still trying to find out how low it is, but the ad sounds a bit like the guy knows what he's talking about. IIRC he's suggesting it might be one of the relief valves.

I guess it's also a matter of how bad/good the rest of it is, it's cheap enough to try dropping another engine in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tV1LBh3D9EZJ4BqWrGMMxnNTOURnzwvVnDChNVDuq1YKXrOf3KYrSFYyLkvBiVpX