wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
5/1/14 9:04 p.m.

Well, I guess I've just run into the last of the known RX8 issues that could happen, that I know of. I have an 04 RX8. Had the flooding issue at 98,000 miles and dealer replaced the engine under warranty. I currently have an intermittent low coolant light even though the level is topped off and doesn't overheat. On the way home from work today the clutch felt a little weird and then I heard a crack and lost full pedal travel. Worked well enough to get home easily. Checked the pedal and structure and found the pedal support bracket cracked. I know it would be easier to replace but where is the best place to get a clutch pedal? Looks like I can remove it, weld up the crack and probable put a doubler on it. Any issues with going that route? I can afford a pedal but grassroots at heart (meaning used to not be able to afford nice things). Opinions?

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
5/1/14 9:09 p.m.

Don't have an answer on the best place to get a pedal, but have you thought of welding it and then adding this?:

Is that one of the billions of small things they changed between the S1 and S2 rx8's? I haven't had a problem with my 2009 beyond the marbles in a can noise at high RPM (fixed under warranty), but I'm still under 20k miles

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
5/1/14 9:44 p.m.

That actually looks better than the doubler process I had in my head. Looks sturdy enough that it won't happen again. Thanks! Another GRM rescue. Ordered.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/1/14 10:44 p.m.

I was pretty sure that this was covered under a recall - no? I had the one on my GF's RX-8 replaced when it started squeaking and I'm pretty sure it was just out of warranty. Worth a call to the dealership in any case.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
5/1/14 10:46 p.m.

Yeah, never mind. It was just an extension of the warranty on that part to 100k miles. Sounds like it won't help you...

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
5/1/14 11:21 p.m.

Somebody is parting out a rx8, check the $2014 classifieds

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UberDork
5/2/14 12:09 a.m.

It was a recall, and the new bracket from Mazda is quite a bit more substantial, I think. Thats the easy button, although anybody with a welder, a bit of sheet metal and the most rudimentary knowledge of how to make a triangle can fix it.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
5/2/14 11:11 a.m.

About 136,000 miles on the car now. 38,000 since the engine warranty change. Out of warranty now.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer Dork
5/2/14 11:43 a.m.

I don't think recalls are affected by warranty. I got a recall done on my truck at 175k miles that none of the POs had done.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
5/2/14 2:04 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Somebody is parting out a rx8, check the $2014 classifieds

False, or I'm blind.

EDIT: I found it.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
5/11/14 9:34 p.m.

Update.
Ordered this and waited a week for it to arrive. Meanwhile I drove the Miata, it needed a workout anyway. When it came in, pulled the clutch pedal and saw that it was cracked all the way across. Trial fitted the kit and even missing 2 bolts (I didn't have the right size drill bit) it stiffened up so just tacked the crack and installed the kit (after getting the right size drill bit) and reinstalled into the car. Works like a champ, pedal has no wobble and has a secure feel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WSxBa1QI4fenmizaMYizxx4sSB8Qo5HBtT9bIINlv451L1Gg8iRkwSrSQZZnvtNg