1 2
Sky_Render
Sky_Render Reader
8/21/12 1:49 p.m.

I thought those RX-8s were supposed to be lightweight from the factory?

How extreme do you want to go? Is stripping the interior and putting in lightweight seats a possibility?

alfadriver
alfadriver PowerDork
8/21/12 1:56 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Oh and for all the people saying that rotaries aren't that hard to maintain, maybe if I found one in decent condition it wouldn't be, but they sure are bad on gas and that's like $7 a gallon here. That combined with the cheapness of one with a dead motor is the motivation for a swap.

Oh, details... Maybe ignore the V6 idea.

But for the swap- how's the gearing for the rotary- in comparison with the 4cyl? Would you need to swap the entire engine/trans from the truck?

Or is the rear end on the 8 the same enough as a miata that you can swap that, too?

Since gas price is important, seems like the available ratios may be a big deal....

(rightly geared, I would guess that a RX8 with a 4cyl, correctly geared, would net mileage somewhere between a 3/Focus and a 6/Fusion- in the upper 20's/mid 30's.)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/21/12 1:56 p.m.

Stripped interior and light seats would be a possibility, yes (just not pricey CF stuff, cheap seats). If I could get it down to 2700 or less that would be good, these things are high 2000s-low 3000s depending on the model from what I understand.

My current cars are both under 2100 and I've got a 1500lb car to catch so less is more.

BTW gutting the rear doors and welding the skins on is an option if you can still get into the back that way (I'd like to at least have the option of having rear seats installed).

Keith
Keith MegaDork
8/21/12 2:39 p.m.

I don't know if the MZR and the Renesis share a bellhousing design. You may have to swap the trans. The PPF might need some modification as well. This is based on what I've heard from people going the other way - using RX8 parts to put rotaries in NCs.

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
8/21/12 2:47 p.m.
Keith wrote: I don't know if the MZR and the Renesis share a bellhousing design. You may have to swap the trans. The PPF might need some modification as well. This is based on what I've heard from people going the other way - using RX8 parts to put rotaries in NCs.

Interesting. Can the NC transmission handle turbo 2.3 MZR levels of horsepower and torque? Though I suppose that's just as fair a question for the RX-8 trans. And the rest of the driveline.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
8/21/12 3:24 p.m.

From Motor Trend

•Weights: published curb weight (lbs): 3,065

There is a lot of sound proofing that could come out, airbags, seats, lighter wheels, gut the rear doors loose the air conditioner and heater. 2700# is my guess

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/21/12 3:31 p.m.

AC deletion is not a decision to be taken lightly in this climate but the rest is totally doable.

Keith
Keith MegaDork
8/21/12 3:47 p.m.

The NC trans is very similar internally to the NB but it's got a nice ribbed case. I'd be willing to try to put a fair bit of power through one.

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
8/21/12 4:00 p.m.

Are there any Land Rovers down there? Maybe a 4.0 or 4.6 out of a Rover would fit the bill.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
8/21/12 4:34 p.m.

In reply to tr8todd:

No Dice due to the insurance situation that he talked about. Under 3.0L is a must. I would guess under 2.0L would be best.

Speaking of which. What do insurance companies think of turbos?

fidelity101
fidelity101 New Reader
8/21/12 5:06 p.m.

a way to lighten an rx8 is to buy one without a sunroof

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
8/21/12 5:34 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101:

Agreed. If you can't get the one without a sunroof, tear it out and patch in a piece of carbon!

njansenv
njansenv Dork
8/21/12 6:20 p.m.

So, if V8roadsters sells a kit to put LS1's in NC's, and NC subframes fit an RX8...then do V8roadsters sell a kit (inadvertantly or otherwise) to stuff LS1's in RX8's? /OT

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/21/12 7:41 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Speaking of which. What do insurance companies think of turbos?

They think they're like extra displacement but the sound and gauges encourage more hoonage - that's just paraphrasing what an ex-insurance adjuster told me.

alleykat
alleykat Reader
3/26/14 12:30 a.m.

In reply to njansenv:

V8Roadsters has both a lsx and lfx ( v6 ) swap kit for both the nc and the rx8 coming to market soon. Overdue actually.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 New Reader
3/26/14 7:35 a.m.

One issue with welding the rear door on is that the doors are aluminum while the chassis is steel. You would have to work out brackets to bolt it in place and I'm not sure the weight savings are worth the inaccessibility since you want to keep back seats. Check out rx8club. I know I've read a couple of threads on lightening the 8. I don't remember what the final numbers were but it should give you some ideas.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/26/14 10:45 a.m.
alleykat wrote: In reply to njansenv: V8Roadsters has both a lsx and lfx ( v6 ) swap kit for both the nc and the rx8 coming to market soon. Overdue actually.

I think an rx8 with that 3.6l v6 would be awesome!

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
3/26/14 10:51 a.m.

Go the cuba way and just put a fiat engine in it but if you need rotary parts Puerto Rico isn't too far away... is it?

alleykat
alleykat Reader
3/26/14 11:11 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

I'm pretty interested too. They are not giving not details yet, but it seems the v6 swap uses the entire 2010+ camaro drive train. All the manual cars are equiped with LSD. If the handling characteristics remain good, it should be a blast. Like shaving 700 lb off the camaro

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
3/27/14 12:27 a.m.

Start a USDM engine importing business, with a distributor lock on swap kits from all of the supporting Vendors.

I'd probably go with the V-6 mentioned above.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
3/27/14 8:56 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Barbados. We do have 2 LSXs but they're in two Corvettes that are in use.

I have an acquaintance down there who is in the ice business. Years ago he brought in an EVO VII or some such, and the cost made my eyes bug-out. Guess there is good money in ice when you live in the tropics!

The other question is what would you do with all the power? Not a ton of roads to hoon around on and most of them are kinda narrow!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pna1k3Vxqe53NM0kVlSUTfcpiPGXYN36NylfpyMKQGPT63UU3FM6DKpFugBn8XnZ