1 2 3 4 5
sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/27/10 3:55 p.m.

I get the impression that finances aren't a real problem. If that is the case, maybe a CR-Z. Good gas mileage, decent fun, yet practical.

Being a WRX owner as well as an older 2.5rs owner, I don't think you'll see any gas mileage savings switching to the subaru. If you want one, just cause you want one, they are great cars.

vincephan
vincephan New Reader
12/27/10 4:07 p.m.

The RX8 isn't slow by any means, however, on the street, ALL of it's disadvantages are highlighted and all of its advantages are never used. Honestly, I love the fact I can throw the RX8 into a corner at 2x the speed most cars could take it, but when the heck would you ever need to do that on the street? I could, however, use some torque to get around city and definitely wouldn't mind filling up less.

corytate
corytate New Reader
12/27/10 4:21 p.m.

MAZDASPEED 6 stock ms6's keep up with vettes in the quarter awd turbo comfort amazing looking car If you can find one (limited-ish production, just like mazdaspeed protege) it'll be between 10k and 14k

rotard
rotard New Reader
12/27/10 4:44 p.m.

What kind of stock Vette's does the MS6 keep up with?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
12/27/10 6:48 p.m.

^ My '88 that's got 150k hard miles, everybushing worn out and trying to be kind to it. THat's about it.

I'd venture a Gen Coupe 2.0T used, or an early 90's C4 LT1 vette. Both will get you high 20's, cost you less to purchase and give you 100% the fun driving experience on the street. Both come with tons of aftermarket support.

But then again I'm the resident C4/Hyundai Humper so your results may vary.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
12/27/10 6:52 p.m.

I want a C4. I saw one last night that made me shiver with excitement. It sounded GOOD!

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
12/27/10 8:12 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: A $1,200 Miata usually needs $1k worth of suspension work and another $1,000 worth of wheels and tires and $250 parts for timing belt and $500 parts for brakes and a soft top. Then some other broke kid will steal it and remove the wheels and tires for the $1k Miata he just bought on craigslist.

Most of your post suggests you need to look up the meaning of the word "need".

In any case, I've learned through the purchase of numerous "very capable" cars that "fast" doesn't necessarily mean "fun", and quite often "fun" is "slow".
I cringe a little when I hear that (paraphrasing) "I can't step down to a lowly civic or GC Subaru", but perhaps your college financial situation is pretty different than mine was. That said, if fuel economy is a concern (unless you're commuting somewhere far away regulary), then perhaps you're driving something a little too 'nice'. What about an Integra GS-R or similiar?

corytate
corytate New Reader
12/27/10 8:28 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: ^ My '88 that's got 150k hard miles, everybushing worn out and trying to be kind to it. THat's about it. I'd venture a Gen Coupe 2.0T used, or an early 90's C4 LT1 vette. Both will get you high 20's, cost you less to purchase and give you 100% the fun driving experience on the street. Both come with tons of aftermarket support. But then again I'm the resident C4/Hyundai Humper so your results may vary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YcWNDUTais

maybe vette driver was terrible, but that ms6 had a terrible r/t and still was decently close (esp when you think about the fact that its a mazda v a corvette)

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
12/27/10 9:17 p.m.

Slushbox Vette beat it by nearly half a second...

corytate
corytate New Reader
12/27/10 10:45 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Slushbox Vette beat it by nearly half a second...

still it's a mazda against a VETTE

car is just quick enough stock to be very very fun and theres a bit of aftermarket for the 2.3 disi and its awd just saying I might be a little infatuated with the ms6 though lol

vincephan
vincephan New Reader
12/27/10 10:50 p.m.
njansenv wrote: I cringe a little when I hear that (paraphrasing) "I can't step down to a lowly civic or GC Subaru", but perhaps your college financial situation is pretty different than mine was. That said, if fuel economy is a concern (unless you're commuting somewhere far away regulary), then perhaps you're driving something a little too 'nice'. What about an Integra GS-R or similiar?

You're paraphrasing me incorrectly. What I said was a lot closer to "It will be difficult to step into a car that has a poorer interior and feel being that I'm driving a car that is very much refined."

Yes, I may be driving something a little "too nice", but if I downgrade, I'm not gonna want to downgrade THAT much. I don't see how a stock GC Subaru or a Civic is really going to solve my problem either. I want a car where I can still feel "a kick" without having to wring it's neck and drive it up to redline. If I'm having this issue with an RX8, the problem will only get worse with the GC or Civic. The same applies with the Miata.

junkbuggie
junkbuggie Reader
12/28/10 2:20 a.m.

you sir need a V8 half ton pick-up it will feel very fast and be very fun and make all the right noises it just won't be very fast. you can get a very nice one.

junkbuggie
junkbuggie Reader
12/28/10 2:24 a.m.

or just keep the respctable car and add a POS like a lumina or bretta with all the body roll at low speed it will feel like you are giving it 9 tenths all the time.

vincephan
vincephan New Reader
12/28/10 4:45 a.m.

Your sense of humor isn't too funny. Nice try with the sarcasm as well.

If I'm interpreting you correctly, you think I'm power hungry, like obnoxious noises, and I'm disregarding the RX8's handling prowess. I am not. Reading comprehension might help you understand this thread a bit better so that you would be better suited to contributing worthwhile information to the thread.

I appreciate the RX8's ability to out-handle many cars in its class. I understand that it makes a great road-race/autocross car. HOWEVER, I do not visit the track often enough to take advantage of this.

And to address your last comment, you have no idea what you're reading about, do you? I don't beat the RX8 9/10 all the time, nor do I want to. I said that in order to get a "kick" from the RX8, you have to drive it aggressively, which is VERY true. It's meant to be tossed into corners and very high speeds and is meant to stay in the mid-upper range of it's powerband.

I'm considering the WRX because it makes a better street car for my needs. No one mentioned anything about a pickup truck and big V8's, nor did anyone mention anything about liking cars that feel like they're about to fall apart when you drive them slow.

Thanks for your help though.

HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox
HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox SuperDork
12/28/10 5:01 a.m.
rotard wrote: Hey, don't bring that pesky logic stuff in here.

I try to keep that logic stuff at bay, but sometimes i uncontrollably vomit it everywhere.

12/28/10 5:03 a.m.
vincephan wrote: The RX8 isn't slow by any means, however, on the street, ALL of it's disadvantages are highlighted and all of its advantages are never used. Honestly, I love the fact I can throw the RX8 into a corner at 2x the speed most cars could take it, but when the heck would you ever need to do that on the street? I could, however, use some torque to get around city and definitely wouldn't mind filling up less.

I guess i can see that, but really, the same could be said of the WRX. In fact, all the cars mentioned in this thread save for the Miata are gross overkill for the street. It's just a matter of different strokes for different folks. If you want a WRX, that's really all the justification you need. Get one.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/28/10 7:04 a.m.

In reply to HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox:

We have an 03 2.0 WRX with a a tune and a free flow exhaust and I would have to disagree with your characterization. That car is phenomenal at half throttle. You can catch it flat footed if you lug it around, but typical city driving is a blast.

12/28/10 7:13 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox: We have an 03 2.0 WRX with a a tune and a free flow exhaust and I would have to disagree with your characterization. That car is phenomenal at half throttle. You can catch it flat footed if you lug it around, but typical city driving is a blast.

True, i forgot that the turbos on those things are about the size of the palm of my hand.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
12/28/10 7:29 a.m.

My 05 Legacy GT puts 240ft lbs of torque to the wheels at 2700rpm on a low reading dyno. Hard to catch them stumbling.

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
12/28/10 8:57 a.m.

Sounds like you want a dose of torque. A WRX will do just fine in that department...

kreb
kreb Dork
12/28/10 10:15 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox: We have an 03 2.0 WRX with a a tune and a free flow exhaust and I would have to disagree with your characterization. That car is phenomenal at half throttle. You can catch it flat footed if you lug it around, but typical city driving is a blast.

Not to hijack, but the first-gen WRX that I used to drive had fairly bad turbo lag - it'd kick in about 3500 RPM. Are they any better now?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
12/28/10 11:47 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: I want a C4. I saw one last night that made me shiver with excitement. It sounded GOOD!

Best automotive decision I've made (save for the Hyundai new in 02) to date.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/28/10 12:01 p.m.
kreb wrote:
Not to hijack, but the first-gen WRX that I used to drive had fairly bad turbo lag - it'd kick in about 3500 RPM. Are they any better now?

IIRC there is a big bottleneck in the stock exhaust setup and tune. The up pipe to the turbo has a catalytic in it or something ridiculous like that. Mine had all that replaced before I got it so I am going on memory of stuff I read a long time ago.

cardiacdog
cardiacdog New Reader
12/28/10 12:03 p.m.

I'll throw in the Mini for fun- especially since I drive one. Lots of fun, 28-29 mpg around town- mines a JCW so a Cooper S will do even better. Not necessarily cheaper but what the heck.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
12/28/10 12:11 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Maroon92 wrote: I want a C4. I saw one last night that made me shiver with excitement. It sounded GOOD!
Best automotive decision I've made (save for the Hyundai new in 02) to date.

This C4 on CL has been haunting my back-brain. You know, the primitive part.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/2107688128.html

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KKV1PE7AZz5FLdN7reAEFRBRgMBSszJTa5vRbMvrToRnbSQp9jfuGF21ZjTTXzlx