1 2 3 4
Furious_E
Furious_E Reader
8/11/15 7:55 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: I'd like a 3link (like an f-body 3rd/4th gen) over a truck arm, but yes great project plan!
What is your reasoning for this? Less weight? That's really the only thing I can think of.

I think it would be easier to retain bed space with an f body torque arm, the whole setup mounts pretty low. I've got the axle, torque arm, and springs in my basement, and control arms wouldn't be hard to make...

I'm infatuated with this whole idea, BTW. Please do it so I don't sell the Camaro and do it myself. Or don't, because it will only make the temptation worse?

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock PowerDork
8/11/15 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

I don't think you'll lose any bed space. This is a G-body but even F-body's don't need any alterations to the floor pan.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/11/15 8:08 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Driveabeater Google it on pro touring.com

Giggity. Im internet famous.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/11/15 8:11 p.m.

Here is what it looks like on the bare chassis of a tri five chevy.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
8/11/15 8:16 p.m.

I went with:

Front- cut 1/2 coil, drop spindles, zq8 sway bar, circle track upper control arms

Rear- western chassis 3" drop leafs, 2" blocks, zq8 sway bar. Needed pinion angle shims.

On the street i ran 17x8 soft 8 wheels with 245/45 htr-z tires all around, and it was glued to the road no matter how hard i pushed it around corners. Then i got stupid and got rid of it. Was going to lt1 it, but got nervous carrying rear facing baby seat resting against dash in such a small truck.

Furious_E
Furious_E Reader
8/11/15 8:21 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock:

I meant vs a 3 or 4 link with forward facing upper and lower control arms, rather than truck arms. But I guess diy truck arms might be easier to implement anyways.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/11/15 9:41 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: Driveabeater Google it on pro touring.com
Giggity. Im internet famous.

Dude.. I love that truck.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/11/15 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

Gotcha

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/11/15 10:05 p.m.

In reply to Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock:

I could be overlooking something obvious, but off hand I can't think of any racing application where truck arms are commonly used over other alternatives, that they aren't mandated by the rules. Personally, I can't help but prefer the idea of a suspension that doesn't inherently and uncontrollably bind in roll.

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/11/15 10:15 p.m.

In reply to Driven5:

Yes but why? It's heavier than a 3 or 4 link, so weight is a big one that I see right off the bat. I don't think there is anything inherently bad about the geometry of a properly set up truck arm suspension but many good things over a leaf spring setup. So why would another design be better?

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
8/11/15 10:18 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: In reply to Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock: Personally, I can't help but prefer the idea of a suspension that doesn't inherently and uncontrollably bind in roll.

You mean like a stock GM 4 link? With a properly engineered truck arm you have no bind.

Edit, I mean unintended surprise bind. The arms are meant to twist. I'm not sure you could completely rid it of any bind, as you said it's in the design. I guess you could bring both forward mounts to the same point but I'm not sure how that would work.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
8/11/15 10:53 p.m.

Yes, truck arms are better than leaf springs. Yes, a triangulated 4-link with bushings binds too. For that matter, technically just about any live axle link system 'binds' to at least some degree if there are bushings on both ends of the links. And yes, unless the truck arms were to share a single pivot point up front, the rigid mounting of the arms to the axle rear necessarily binds the suspension in roll. I've never done it myself, but it's my understanding that engineering how much component flexing occurs and where is one of the things that defines a properly set up truck arm suspension. Sure it can be made to work well enough, but it's typically not the first choice for performance unless tied by other constraints.

Edit reply: I wouldn't call the bind encountered by a triangulated 4-link with bushings an 'unintended surprise' either, but that doesn't make it any more desirable.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/12/15 5:38 p.m.

An S10 with an engine swap sounds like a fun setup for the CAM class. I would go with Corvette wheels (18x9.5 or something wide under 11") for affordability with the wheels and the tires.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
8/12/15 7:07 p.m.
RealMiniParker wrote:
Toebra wrote: Of course you should do it, does the truck have the same bolt pattern as a Corvette?
Yes, and I have a set of C6 staggered wheels for sale, of he's interested.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I would go with Corvette wheels (18x9.5 or something wide under 11") for affordability with the wheels and the tires.

Mine are 18x8.5 and 19x10. Just sayin'

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
8/12/15 7:14 p.m.

In reply to RealMiniParker: I was trying to say that 315+ section width tires have to cost huge $$$ for 11" wide wheels.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
8/13/15 6:51 a.m.

In reply to Mr_Clutch42:

I was trying to reiterate that I'm trying to unload just the kind of wheels you are suggesting.

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
8/13/15 7:48 a.m.

Bob, Do it! You know where I am for the welding and fab work.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/13/15 12:48 p.m.

Yeah only way this would happen is if I sold the new bike to fund it. So.... It's not. Someone else do this, get tired of it and sell it to me for pennies on the dollar.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/13/15 1:03 p.m.

Sell the SeX, buy some $500 penalty box. Build Ess Dime.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
8/13/15 2:12 p.m.

Some assembly required.

Yeah, it's not a regular cab, but it's solid.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
8/13/15 5:15 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Sell the SeX, buy some $500 penalty box. Build Ess Dime.

Hell no I'm not selling the nicest car I own! Are you kidding me? I don't want a divorce THAT fast.

4u2nvjoe
4u2nvjoe New Reader
10/4/16 5:44 p.m.

Sorry to dig up an old post; but thought I'd share...

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
10/4/16 6:27 p.m.

In reply to 4u2nvjoe:

That's excellent.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
10/4/16 7:40 p.m.

I hate you so much right now.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/4/16 8:51 p.m.