2 3 4
STM317
STM317 HalfDork
10/5/16 6:56 a.m.
4u2nvjoe wrote: Sorry to dig up an old post; but thought I'd share...

Curiosity killed the cat and all, but I can't see this pic, and I must know what's there. Any help?

4u2nvjoe
4u2nvjoe New Reader
10/5/16 9:34 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

Yep, that turd is mine. Picture is from this last weekend. A good buddy and myself built/building her.

Pretty much what Bob originally had in mind; except the whole 'proper' thing.

89 s-dime 2004 LM4 5.3 as it came; except for the duel plane intake, Holley four barrel, headers and MSD ignition (yes, I know). This winter we'll put in a baby cam I've had sitting around (216/220 .560"). I couldn't stomach the idea of a cast iron block knowing I was already facing a nose heavy situation.

3 pedals and a stick - 2005 Silverado 5 speed, NV3500. It's light and bolts right up. One day I'll get a proper box.

Typical "I want to autoX my s10" front end... Tubular arms, extended upper/lower ball joints, hacked up 2" spindles, Sway bar w/poly, QA1 foilovers (600lb.), 4th gen F body brakes, quick ratio steering box, and threw the rag joint in the trash. Poorly stamped, cheap but light aluminum hood.

Discontent rear end. Ferd 8.8 31 spline with disk brakes, clutch type LSD(carbon disks), 1" sway bar, 3" leafs, QA1 adjustables, prop valve mounted just out of the drivers reach for the brakes, Ole rusty pair of SBC heads mounted in the bed. Silly poly carb spoiler.

Vette wagon wheels 245/45-17 RE71R front and rear. I wanted to be able to rotate tires; so I bought 2 sets of wagon wheels and sold the four 18" wheels.

Some clutch pedal relocation, cheap fat boy race seat, home brew shift arm.

I autocrossed the truck all this year in CAM-T. After the weekend is over; I pull off the wang and numbers and daily the thing to work. . Besides the being loud, stinky, super bumpy, harnesses, and feeling like there is a hole in the fuel tank; it ain't a bad way to get to work.

This Winter I'll waste more money and time on it I'm sure.

4u2nvjoe
4u2nvjoe New Reader
10/5/16 9:35 a.m.

In reply to STM317:

Not sure what's up??

http://i64.tinypic.com/n1xdt3.jpg

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
10/5/16 9:52 a.m.

That site is blocked at work. I'll check it out later. Sounds like a nice setup!

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/5/16 11:03 a.m.

I'm too lazy to find the rule book again, even though I think it was linked in this thread. But do they allow AWD in CAM?

4u2nvjoe
4u2nvjoe New Reader
10/5/16 11:07 a.m.

No. Front engine RWD. Funny you mention though... My local club groups CAM in with STX,STU. I get a regular beat down by the boost buggies. I do get excited when an SN95 shows up though.

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
10/5/16 11:21 a.m.

In reply to 4u2nvjoe:

I've got the same issues as STM317, with your site being blocked on the work network, but that sounds like pretty much exactly what I've been wanting to do with an S10 also. Mind if I ask how much you have into it? How's the handling on the auto x course?

4u2nvjoe
4u2nvjoe New Reader
10/5/16 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Furious_E:

Too much. All the little things nickle and dimed me to death. If I replicated it today, up to this point, knowing what I know now; A guy could do it for about 10k. I'm into it for well more than that.

I'd love to answer your other question; but this is my first year autocrossing. And the truck is the only thing I've driven. Nobody else has done a run in it, but me. The people who have ridden with me have said it felt decent (after getting the shocks adjusted a bit). Most comments are directed at my driving. Common thing I hear is, I need something for them to hold onto.

This winter we plan on addressing the obvious lack of rigidity in the chassis. Buddy who built the thing with me was working a corner while I went around and said he saw the bed push out over an inch past the cab. We're scheming on how to tie the bed to the cab and possibly a half cage.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ABeSQb9Afaty1gmWEqEYWwBPau05U7BHUeTgs1try8ewbWIC7LUawtkVEJ4QLcwb