Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
6/20/20 7:25 p.m.

So I've got this 06 S197. It's a 4.0 stick, but I've already got the Ford parts bin and aftermarket upgrades underneath to support whatever way I decide to go with the power... 8.8 3.73 Laguna Seca rear and diff, bigger late GT500 rear brakes, 4 pot Brembos, mixed and matched swaybars, yadda yadda.

I've got a TBird SC rebuilt in the garage. Another $1700 or so gets that installed and tuned.

I also, however, have a complete low mileage L33 all aluminum LS in the garage, and I'm starting to think that may be the better way to go, even with having to source a compatible manny tranny and driveshaft.

The one thing that is up in the air for me though is the LS to S197 engine mount options... Fox and SN95 guys seem to be at with multiple options to drop the GM V8s in their chassis... bit the S197 seems unloved by the aftermarket as far as swap parts. In fact the only verified option I can find right now is the AJE complete k-member replacement and their mounting system.

Anyone know an off the shelf option using the stock k-member? 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/20 7:35 p.m.

The trans for the gm will set you back $1700+ so money wise if the blown 4.0 gets you where you want i would do that

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/20/20 9:10 p.m.

Blown 4.0 sounds more interesting on paper. There are a ton of LS swap cars, I'm over it. That said, I am not paying for it or driving it. laugh

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
6/20/20 10:27 p.m.

Everyone uses an LS for a reason.  Well, many reasons.

Your biggest hurdle with using the LS is the electronic side, gauges, abs, etc.  I'm using an AR5 transmission and it was under $1000 including the custom aluminum driveshaft for the whole setup.  2 front bolt holes on the Ford engine mounts will bolt up to the LS, it's not difficult at all to get it in the car.  A N/A LS will make more power, more reliably than a supercharged V6.  I'm making 480whp with a cam and headers.

Vorshlag is making LS swap parts for S550's now, I'm sure they can at least steer you in the right direction if they don't already have stuff to make it work.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus HalfDork
6/23/20 8:11 a.m.

Check with Vorshlag, they've done it.  I believe they can send you mounts as well as help you with the wiring.  They LS swap everything.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PbMqjvJKlZjxuZFxOqvAWbBord7hU62MvgxreUSRiP6YE1d77HJCYMbJNNHmn4DF