1 2
Sonic
Sonic Dork
1/25/12 8:03 p.m.

I've had three of them, including the 96 CSE turbo I bought and sold on this board.

Parts are no problem, as long as you can wait a few days for most of them. FLAPS will have some stuff, but lots will need to be ordered, but between eeuroparts.com, thesaabsite.com, Goldwing salvage and Rock Auto, there was never anything I couldn't get, and most of it was reasonably priced.

The car was an amazing highway cruiser, pretty damn quick, and still got me 26 MPG in mixed driving, and 30-31 in pure highway stuff.

I loved the big ass hatch, it would hold a ton, plenty of room for 4 people and luggage, comfortable, quiet, etc.

The last one I had, it had a reflashed ECU and bigger exhaust, and it was QUICK. I ran it on regular gas, even, that is all that is required. It had 226k miles on it when I sold it and it didn't burn or leak a drop of oil, always started, and was certainly the nicest $500-$1000 car I have ever had by a mile.

mw
mw HalfDork
1/26/12 8:13 p.m.

I found one that looks decent except it's auto . How bad do you think it would be? I do spend about 2 hours a week in stop and go traffic and most of the rest of my driving is highway. Will the auto's last? It's got 170 kms.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
1/26/12 8:24 p.m.

Avoid the autos. Completely.

If you see 9000's in the junkyard, the auto transmissions are always missing. The manual transmissions last for quite a long time, the autos, not so much. There are plenty of manuals around that you don't have to compromise for an auto

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
1/26/12 8:45 p.m.

^That. Also an auto Aero will have the same (Garrett T25) smaller turbo as a CS/CSE, so you're missing out on some power. I think the auto's are rated at like 200hp instead of 225.

mw
mw HalfDork
1/26/12 9:02 p.m.

Good to know.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
1/26/12 9:15 p.m.

Damn all of you. Here I was minding my own business enjoying my Civic as a winter beater and you encourage me to look up Saabs on CL. What do I find? A 1998 Saab 9000 CSE 5spd with just over 100K and full service/maintenance records. No. I don't need a Saab. No no no.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
1/26/12 9:16 p.m.

Ooooooh, the 1998 CSE was almost an aero, had the big turbo, so 225hp instead of the smaller turbo and 200 for the earlier full pressure turbo CSEs.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
1/26/12 9:23 p.m.

^Yes. '98 CSE is full of delicousness.

Funny. I've been thinking about getting an '03-04 9-3 for a DD, but now I'm starting to think another 9000 might be the answer...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lfC3fxMgUelip4WM1R2PzVPLmA60ppSAkVXiOoV97wA6JYD4LVb1sIQMmCyttC6a