Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
9/26/13 7:28 p.m.

I have a 1997 Saab, the car has served me well while I went to college and the ol'girl has about 170k on her. Last Saturday the Saab decided not to down shift. I did get the car to down shift by turning the the key three times and then starting the car. Sense that day I notice the car makes a low pitch wherling noise when slowing down from 25 mph to a stop. My first thought is the transmission needs flush. What does the GRM brain trust say?

Dave

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/26/13 7:54 p.m.

Have you ever changed the fluid? Whats the fluid look like? If you neglect maintenance on an auto long enough that it starts misbehaving, usually its time for a trans.

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
9/26/13 8:00 p.m.

The fuild is petty dark. The noise only happens when slowing down after the car has been running for a while

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/26/13 8:37 p.m.

Whip out your wallet.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/26/13 8:40 p.m.

Ouch. One thing I learned in the trans business: changing the fluid in one that has a slip etc is NOT a good idea. I have seen then where they would not even back off the lift after a fluid change.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
9/26/13 8:46 p.m.

So the question is, should the OP try Lucas trans fix with the old fluid, or new fluid?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
9/26/13 9:09 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: So the question is, should the OP try Lucas trans fix with the old fluid, or new fluid?

The OP should shine it up nice and trade it in while it still moves under its own power.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
9/26/13 9:31 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
HappyAndy wrote: So the question is, should the OP try Lucas trans fix with the old fluid, or new fluid?
The OP should shine it up nice and trade it in while it still moves under its own power.

This exactly.

If the fluid has gone long enough without a change, a flush will do SERIOUS HARM as it plugs up your lines and likely kills the transmission. A gentle drain and fill is all I'd go for, and even then if it's already slipping your odds are very bad. Lucas trans fix seems to have a 50/50 fix/kill rate; it rarely does nothing, I know that much.

Get rid of the thing while you can.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/26/13 9:38 p.m.

If the fluid is past past tan/no red color left, I'd dump in a bottle of lucas trans fix and dump it.

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
9/27/13 7:22 p.m.

Strange thin now is the car is sounding normal, even while it was making that noise it still up shifted and would down shift smooth. I am still going to do the Lucas transmission treatment and flush it as well. Unless you guys thing that I shouldn't do so

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/27/13 7:35 p.m.

If you want to mess with it, just do a couple drain/fills and filter. The trans fix is only for getting a misbehaving/slipping box to limp along, depending on the failure from a few days to a few years. Also great for tightening up a severely worn out manual box.

Not sure what type of fluid a saab calls for, if applicable, I'd recommended valvoline maxlife.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
9/27/13 7:54 p.m.

I would NOT change the fluid. Pull enough out to add the Lucas and drive it. And look for a 5spd conversion.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
9/27/13 8:42 p.m.
Volksrodden wrote: Strange thin now is the car is sounding normal, even while it was making that noise it still up shifted and would down shift smooth. I am still going to do the Lucas transmission treatment and flush it as well. Unless you guys thing that I shouldn't do so

Did you read my post at all? NEVER flush a high mileage slush box!

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
9/28/13 8:14 a.m.

Ok, I'll drain some fuild and then add some treatment to it. A 5 speed conversion is out of the question, far a automatics this has been the only one I have like the way it shifts. My next car will be a stick shift,..but there is a long list of requirements for the next one too.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
9/28/13 8:31 a.m.

When I was working for a GM dealer, I "rebuilt" the transmissions on trade ins that were having problems. Simple fluid and filter change. My theory is that the filter gets clogged and may reduce the line pressure.

If that doesn't work time to punt.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
9/28/13 5:51 p.m.

If you want to put trans fix in it, being overfilled a pint going to hurt a thing.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller New Reader
9/28/13 8:58 p.m.

My logic is flush the tranny. If it dies, it was going to die anyway. If there is any life remaining, a flush is going to help it not hurt it. This ahs worked for my many times.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8zI4lZPZzzHegNm2LkKUwwlXXR13Z7xLnc0iZZZBsIygcIE1Ni6EJAEpU7NoT1fy