PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/13/09 11:36 a.m.

I was driving back from the beach the other day, it was an hour to get there and the car was parked for about 2 hours before driving home. Not long after I set off i was going up a slight incline when it sounded like a shift of the auto trans and the accelerator felt like it was in mud and i couldn't get any more revs out of it, not even in neutral. So I pulled over, shut the car down. Turned it back on and everything was just fine and it carried me home with out a problem but the CEL is still on. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I was thinking something might have sent the engine into limp mode but i have no idea what. The car is a 93 9000 CSE Turbo Automatic with about 250,000 km

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
7/13/09 11:48 a.m.

When was the last time the ignition cassette was replaced? Those cars are notorious for eating those.

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/13/09 12:03 p.m.

Recently actually, i have the receipt from the PO that I'll check tonight. I still have the old one in the trunk that apparently is still decent. Maybe it was a missfire that caused it to limp.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/13/09 1:39 p.m.

well, you could either get the code read.. or disconnect the battery and reset the computer until it happens again. Be sure you have the code for the radio first.

PaulY
PaulY Reader
7/13/09 3:59 p.m.

I have the code for the radio written out a bunch of times in the factory owners binder.

Since the car is a 93 would that make it obd1? If so could I pick up one of those 30 some odd dollar obd1 code readers to get the code or does it have to be special and saaby?

S2Fella
S2Fella New Reader
7/13/09 4:20 p.m.

Doesn't the 93 have the notorious traction control system (TCS)? I've owned plenty of 9000's but luckily have never had to deal with the TCS, but I recollect that there is a throttle body valve that sometimes goes bad and will put the car into limp home mode. You might get more specific info from some poor sucker who has BTDT on one of the Saab specific boards.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xTNgwOfCh3QWEBIhEtchcBM1x2bIl7z64OuN7hn6R5nBZvcmAbKmuYzWF1ALSwiH