Hoomyster
Hoomyster None
5/23/08 11:16 a.m.

I know this was asked many times before on the old forum and did not carry over. Now I guess it is my time to ask...I'm looking for a new car and I am debating between a MS3 and a civic si sedan?? This vehicle will probably become my future autocross/track car 4-5 years from now. What would/have you choose and why? I'm sorry if this is a repeated topic and all but I couldn't find the old forums where this was covered at nauseam. Thanks!!!

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
5/23/08 11:52 a.m.

I would choose the recent Civic Si hatch (which I know isn't quite an option) because my girlfriend really likes Hondas, and hot hatches, and really likes those cars, and I would get much sexing if I were to bring her one.

Go whichever one will get you more sexing.

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
5/23/08 12:00 p.m.

as hot hatches go, the ms3 is about as hot as they come, and the civic isn't even a hatch.

i have to agree with the "whichever one will get you more sexing" argument, though.

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/23/08 12:15 p.m.

well the civic may get you more sexing for the 45 seconds you own it till it gets stolen.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/23/08 12:34 p.m.

MS3 is faster, but the Civic Si will probably hold its value better. I like the five-door utility offered by the MS3, and I also like being able to fry the tires in third.

Honestly, it's a no-lose. Drive them both, buy what you like and you probably won't be disappointed either way.

jg

cafcwest
cafcwest New Reader
5/23/08 12:36 p.m.

The Rex will be here shortly :grin:

aircooled
aircooled New Reader
5/23/08 12:56 p.m.

Just as a note, (because previously I have read a dyno comparison of the Si, MS3 and the GTI), the MS3 makes the same torque at around 2000 rpm as the PEAK torque of the Si (which comes in at something like 8500 rpm). Needless to say this will make the MS3 a lot nicer car to drive every day, very easy to skip lots of gears if you want to.

bravenrace
bravenrace New Reader
5/23/08 5:34 p.m.

I'm a big Honda guy, but I've driven both of these cars and spend every other day riding 80 miles in a Civic LX sedan. My pick would be the MS3 for sure.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
5/23/08 7:04 p.m.

It's a tough decision. My recent second-hand experiences with Mazdas would sway me towards the Honda. But in the end it's up to what you would like to drive everyday. What would make you happy, and what you like better. The Mazda does have more room, more of a utility vehicle. The Honda is a Honda, it will last forever, but then you have to worry about it being stolen (well depending on where you live. Orlando=the suck for Honda owners).

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
5/23/08 7:42 p.m.

I have owned and driven both. My pick for what you want............the MS3. It will hand the Honda it's butt on a platter and politely ask for more.

Brust
Brust New Reader
5/23/08 8:14 p.m.

I'd be interested in a GRM review of the new Cobalt SS with the turboe'd 260 hp engine. Road and Track claims it handles significantly better than the MS3. I audibly gasped when I read that.

Ryan9118
Ryan9118 Reader
5/23/08 8:28 p.m.
Brust wrote: I'd be interested in a GRM review of the new Cobalt SS with the turboe'd 260 hp engine. Road and Track claims it handles significantly better than the MS3. I audibly gasped when I read that.

Supposedly the Cobalt SS set the new record for a production FWD car at the 'Ring.

I would go for the MS3. It will probably handle/brake just as well as the Civic, and it has lots more room to haul stuff. Like for instance, an extra set of wheels to an autocross. Plus it's turbocharged, so it would probably be easier/cheaper to get extra horsepower out of it compared to the Civic. Plus the extra torque down low.

Hoomyster
Hoomyster None
5/24/08 9:32 a.m.

thanks for the input...yeah I was very surprised at the new Cobalt's praise from Road and Track...apparently a sedan is coming out too...hey what's the Rex??

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
5/24/08 9:43 a.m.

I'd choose the Si if I rarely drove it on the street, but for something daily driven, I'd want the MS3. Good luck.:)

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
5/24/08 11:50 a.m.

also something to think about, COBB has just released their accessport for the MS3(like last week). it really smooths out the power delivery, and gets better mileage to boot

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Reader
5/24/08 4:55 p.m.

Another option Honda Fit + Jackson Racing supercharger = sleeper lol.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UCo4OdcCRcGEbDFpZoP1AAoQ27iDrw8hNvr7iCbYtdHj9Si65E2707382wg4MAuS