pirate
pirate Dork
1/12/22 11:06 a.m.

I currently have a sand rail project but would like to buy a nice, street legal with title, mechanical sound sand rail. Budget is around 6k. I live in coastal Alabama but would be willing to drive up to 400 miles to purchase. Problem is finding a source for classified sales. The Samba listings are mostly far west. Facebook has listings but I don't do, nor want to do social media. Craigslist seems to be mostly junk and very few ads. Dedicated periodicals with ads seem non existent nowadays. Any ideas. You can pm me if you have one for sale.

Saron81
Saron81 Dork
1/12/22 11:20 a.m.

It almost makes sense to buy one from Arizona or California if you can be sure of what you're buying. I ran into the same thing a few years back when looking for a dune buggy. There are probably 10 for sale out on the West coast for every one here back East, and the pricing reflects that. Sand rails aren't really a thing here, and they have been out in the desert for decades. You can get much more for your money, and have many more to choose from. I'd probably budget $1500 for shipping. $5k out there can buy you something decent. Unfortunately FB marketplace or groups will be your best resources though. 

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/12/22 9:46 p.m.

I know many here are opposed to it but like it or not Facebook marketplace is the new craigslist.  Its search function blows and you'll spend a lot of time trying to find what you actually want, but it will be there.   I see 2 or 3 street legal rails like you describe posted every month here in NC.   Makes me wish I had held on to the Lot Lizzard until I moved down here where I could make it street legal.

If I was in the market in your budget I'd probably be all over this one

Marketplace - 1985 Volkswagen Sand rail | Facebook

No photo description available.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
1/12/22 9:53 p.m.

No photo description available.

I like that!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/13/22 12:39 a.m.

In reply to pirate :

They pop up on marketplace around Biloxi pretty frequently. If it's close enough I can go check it out for you. 

pirate
pirate Dork
1/13/22 9:31 a.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to pirate :

They pop up on marketplace around Biloxi pretty frequently. If it's close enough I can go check it out for you. 

I'll check it out. Thanks for the offer!

nocones
nocones UberDork
1/13/22 9:40 a.m.

The worst part of the Facebook Marketplace Search is trying to find something youve already looked at.  You almost have to word for word put in the add listing title to get it back.  They really need to pull back on their algorithm trying to assume if I looked at something and didn't message the seller it must mean I don't like it. 

pirate
pirate Dork
1/13/22 2:19 p.m.

There are some ads on Facebook Marketplace I can see and look through I just can't respond to unless I'm a member. On a couple I have copied the URL for future reference and had our daughter respond to ad. 

1/19/22 12:51 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

Here you go!

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
1/19/22 2:50 p.m.

Could this be the ultimate fly and drive? Buy rail on the west coast. Drive it, off public streets, allllll the way back to the east coast. Only getting fuel via a moped or pit bike you strap to the rail. It would be incredible to document this. 

edit- https://driving.ca/land-rover/lr4/auto-news/news/can-you-still-drive-across-america-on-dirt-roads-only/wcm/2aa84c3b-2832-4b91-9c2f-3569524426c8/amp/

double edit- of note, the Pacific Ocean Spur lands you right in the coast of oregon, a hot spot for sand rails  

pirate
pirate Dork
4/10/22 11:05 a.m.
Saron81 said:

It almost makes sense to buy one from Arizona or California if you can be sure of what you're buying. I ran into the same thing a few years back when looking for a dune buggy. There are probably 10 for sale out on the West coast for every one here back East, and the pricing reflects that. Sand rails aren't really a thing here, and they have been out in the desert for decades. You can get much more for your money, and have many more to choose from. I'd probably budget $1500 for shipping. $5k out there can buy you something decent. Unfortunately FB marketplace or groups will be your best resources though. 

Well I searched the Facebook ads in southeast and really didn't find anything I was interested in. I took your advice and expanded search to out west even though there ended up being a $1350 shipping expense. However found an extremely well built mid engine car powered by a Subaru EJ 2.0 Turbo. Just got here yesterday.

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
4/10/22 11:22 a.m.

In reply to pirate :

Oh this is neat! More pics and more details please!

4/10/22 8:13 p.m.

In reply to pirate :

Sweet!

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
4/10/22 8:46 p.m.

That's cool! 

i'm bailing on my rail, my atv ticks all the boxes for me(drive fast through woods)

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
4/10/22 10:24 p.m.

Nice, one thing though. Are we worried about the radiator exploding and burning your back like the Cleetus McFarland guy ?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
e9TieJLcxkWsrx1feYGC2UwVcophJa3pOitBEGLtUShr4h9t97N4orJznAlyJsWk