LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/1/17 3:36 p.m.

I've been looking at youtube reviews of the 2017 Toyota 86 / Suby BRZ. I'm seeing testers repeat the same stats from the manufacturer press release over & over while adding no actual value.

Everyday Driver is my go-to for this stuff, but they don't have a review of the 2017 model. Then, I found this guy: youtube - SavageGeese - I've been surprised/pleased at the intelligent, no fluff no BS car reviews. The humor is cheeze ball, but the reviews are solid.

Who's your go to for new car review videos?

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/2/17 8:23 a.m.

I wish I could agree with you. I subscribe to over 100 youtube channels, most of them car related, and I watch car reviews practically every day. I really dislike SavageGeese reviews; his statements are very inconsistent and his negativity is really off-putting. He's a car enthusiast and track driver so to give him a chance I've watched a number of his videos -- and my conclusion is he stinks as a car reviewer.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/2/17 8:24 a.m.

I like the deadpan and appreciate the look under the lift, and actually the negativity is refreshing after the breathless claims by most everyone else.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/2/17 9:34 a.m.

I am addicted to the "One Takes" from Matt Farah on The Smoking Tire. They aren't typically new car reviews (although he does those from time to time), but more often than not he drives regular people's creations. Such an interesting collection of different cars with varying modifications. Everything from a Ring Brothers show car to a VIP BMW to a V-6 third gen Camaro lol.

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 Reader
5/3/17 7:09 p.m.

Those guys (savagegeese) are one of my favorite review channels, along with Everyday Driver! I'm a big fan of the Shop Talk with Turbowski. I like that they explore the underside of the car, as well as the smartass comments.

One of my favorite things about the channel is the lack of rainbows and sunshine in every review. When most of the channels on Youtube give almost everything a glowing review; whereas these guys have no problem ripping a car a new one for issues that others glance over, or pretend aren't there.

I'm a big fan.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot New Reader
5/3/17 10:40 p.m.

I like good writing and high production values so I gravitate toward the bigger budget vids like Head2Head, Chris Harris' stuff, Top Gear. I know it's a ton of hyperbole and script but it's also fun and polished. SavageGeese and Doug DeMuro make me want to grate my adam's apple against a grinding wheel. SG vids are pretty to look at but otherwise, not for me. DD's lisp hurts my heart. How did that guy cash out from Porsche so young?

So yeah, give me the fluff pieces.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
5/4/17 6:34 a.m.

Never heard of SG reviews, so I just watched one. The info is good, I like the look under the chassis and hood, but this guy has no personality. Makes it tough to watch.

Ricky Spanish
Ricky Spanish Reader
5/4/17 9:54 a.m.

His track driving is boring as E36 M3.

He lost me when he ran a modified Mustang on Hankook RS3s against a stock M3 on S04s and declared the Mustang the faster car.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior HalfDork
5/4/17 6:38 p.m.

I find SavageGeese's no fluff approach refreshing. In one video, he called synthetic engine noises made with the car's stereo "douchebaggery". Berk Yes! Finally, someone who reviews cars that has some balls!

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
5/4/17 7:44 p.m.

He just needs some personality. It's like watching Tanner Faust

Vracer111
Vracer111 Reader
5/5/17 3:05 a.m.

He was a regular on the FT86 forums for a while from the begining since 2012, had an early model FR-S for a few years. His videos are kind of interesting and I can see some of his points of view, but his personality is kind of hard to take sometimes. And that Doug Demuro (sp) guy...not a fan, can't take his videos.

Everyday Driver, Petrolicious, and Saabkyle04 are my main ones, as they each bring something different to reviews/presentations of vehicles.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/5/17 7:44 a.m.

Or...you can ask those of us who have one.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/5/17 8:59 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Never heard of SG reviews, so I just watched one. The info is good, I like the look under the chassis and hood, but this guy has no personality. Makes it tough to watch.

This, so much.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g0AODPPgiOzXranG59oq3gVIS4F6lCMcYgS0vIfdt3s1GW6xhztaBABX0jRE8cls