Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/14/19 5:16 p.m.

Does SCCA require padding for autocross on a 4 point rollbar?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/14/19 5:18 p.m.

I watched an FP Miata run with a bare bar (and no windshield because prepared cars are awesome) last weekend, so I'll say no. I clearly don't want to read the rules any more than you though. laugh

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
2/14/19 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I'm gonna say no, since a helmet IS required.  That said, if you are ever going to drive the car without a helmet on, pad the bar.  

Dusterbd13-michael
2/14/19 6:31 p.m.

I looked at the rules and got confused. Thats why i asked.

Padding is on the list, but not in the budget for next week before the testand tune 

APEowner
APEowner Dork
2/14/19 6:42 p.m.

I don't know if it's required but it's a darn good idea.  Why wouldn't you run it?

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
2/14/19 6:57 p.m.

Autocross, no.

Time trials/road racing/hill climb, yes. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
2/14/19 6:59 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I drove a 400hp FP Miata with no windshield. It was gloriously bonkers. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
2/14/19 9:40 p.m.

My philosophy is that if I can't afford safety I can't afford the car! YMMV.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/14/19 10:57 p.m.

I have no idea why this is still a thing. SFI roll bar padding is not meant for a bare head, it's meant for your helmet.

Please start reading the standards.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/15/19 2:55 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

If you're wearing a helmet, pad it.

If it's just your skull, don't pad it.

Got it.  wink

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
2/15/19 7:20 a.m.

If in the normal seated position your helmet/head could touch the bar, then padding is required.  Pool noodles or pipe insulation will meet the letter of the rule.  I have a 4 point bar in my Civic and its unlikely that my head could touch the bar, but I'm still adding padding (the real stuff), just in case.

Dusterbd13-michael
2/15/19 7:25 a.m.

SFI approved roll bar padding and covers are on the list. However to get it in time for the event I will be paying a lot more for the padding and even an extra for the shipping. That is legitimately not in the budget for next week. It will be going on within the next month but the first test and tune is next weekend and I didn't want to fail tech for not having it

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/15/19 7:55 a.m.

Non sfi padding is 20 shipped for 6 feet from summit.  If you download their new app your first in app purchase is $5 off bringing it to $15.  Please protect your noggin.  I tried to send you some at 6am but their app wouldn’t let me change my shipping address

i have never had non sfi padding fail tech at an nhra track.  I think they mostly check that you’re not using pipe insulator pool noodles

Dusterbd13-michael
2/15/19 8:17 a.m.

Patrick: can you link the padding? Thats in budget. But, the non sfi rating: won't that cause me issues with tech down the road? Even though the padding is budget exempt, its not wallet exempt. Don't want to buy it twice.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/15/19 8:39 a.m.

Kirkey part number 99001 is $5.01 for 3 feet, and has in my experience passed tech at the challenge(i know it’s relatively lax) as well as nhra events at Summit Motorsports Park(norwalk) and autocross events.  

I wouldn’t count spending $15 as buying it twice if you do go to the $30/pc stuff later, i’d count it as cheap insurance for the brain in your helmet.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7slpDt7Xdmirth5WhWgTBSmopOdMXW2t8HDuX3aeC0tfTwp4ARNc9ibOj8YKUdVw