1 2
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/14/20 6:15 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That's a noble cause if I've ever heard one. Did you get it?

No.  IIRC some crazy Polish guy in a stock class STi got 55mph.

Always makes me laugh when the rules suggest Stock cars are slower than the other two classes.  Stock is a class of how good of a car you can buy, Prep and Mod are more hacker classes, so there's usually less horsepower involved, so the cars have lower top speeds on course.

At least, nobody to my knowledge has showed up with a 600hp Euro-style rallycross car with proper antilag so that it's actually useful.  Fresh air antilag is 100% legal in Prepared but to my knowledge nobody is close to exploiting the rules in Prepared yet.  If I were to build a car for Prepared, I'd look at turbo size and differential availability in that order.  Evo X looks really good but S60 T5 is a surprising second place, it has a larger turbo but diffs are more problematic.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/14/20 6:30 p.m.

I really need to bring the radar gun out again.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/14/20 9:59 p.m.

The word through the facebook grapevine is that in practice runs it wasn't any faster than other Miatas there and "the suspension motions looked questionable" whatever that means. That said, other than Doug I'm not familiar with any of the other names there so no idea how fast the class is, so Peter and Brianne may walk away with it regardless without Vaughn there.

Also, whoever was talking about rallycrosses with max speeds of 35mph....man that sounds boring. I don't think we have courses with max speeds BELOW 50-60mph pretty much ever, though my car doesn't have a speedometer so who knows :)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/15/20 3:25 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Brianne will probably win.  OTOH she could probably win in anything, up to and including a Reliant Robin.

A vehicle, incidentally, that reminds me of the orange car's handling dynamics.  I'm curious if this car is more of the same, or if they swung the pendulum in the other direction.  Having a really stiff front suspension helps front end bite a lot but you need power to exploit that.

One thing that they DO have a lot of is hitting many events per year.  Keeping the driver well-calibrated is the most important thing.  A lot of the reason I have not been hitting Nationals is it would suck for it to be the second or third event to do that year.  Three events is like how long it takes for me to relearn how to drive after being dormant six months for winter smiley

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
8/15/20 6:11 a.m.
FooBag (Forum Supporter) said:
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

Thus, downforce for the two wings is ~460#s, and drag is ~100#s at 60mph.  That drag will suck up ~22hp.

If it's an SAE wing... I assume it's more efficient than that.  I bet it costs 10-15hp.

Peter commented on FB that the wings were designed for 500# at 45 mph, if that allows you to dial in a different model.

so, same size wing, same sections, just moved to 45 and 85deg... and now at  45 mph...

that's 440#s of downforce, and 150#s of drag.  But, due to the lower speed, it still only requires 21hp.  I still think, optimized you could make this setup pull 450#s of downforce at 45mph and only have it suck up 15hp.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
8/15/20 8:28 a.m.
MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
8/15/20 8:34 a.m.

well her first run was 1.8 seconds faster than the next fastest run which was Peter who was 1.4 faster than the 71 super beetle

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/15/20 8:39 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Thanks for the link. Brianne being super fast is just a thing. It will be interesting if other people think her speed is at all wing dependent and whether or not that affects what people do in the future. I know from personal experience that you could throw a JATO on my car and I still couldn't beat her, so wing shopping isn't in my future. 

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
8/15/20 8:41 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

im interested in the geo tracker that is running in MR. need photo's

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/15/20 8:44 a.m.

"Dude, I have an idea!" should be the official catch phrase of mod rallycross. 

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
8/15/20 8:03 p.m.
MrChaos said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

im interested in the geo tracker that is running in MR. need photo's

This is the only one I got of it.

P3PPY
P3PPY HalfDork
8/17/20 11:47 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Coming out of a solid axle RX-7, and hopping into a turbo NA, the Miata rear suspension cannot put power down that well.  I struggled until Evan told me that it doesn't bite in corners, you just have to get really drifty.  Then I started to catch up to him time-wise.

I'm trying to learn something here - you're saying that without LSD to put down power well you should be achieving some of your final angle as you enter the corner?

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/17/20 12:52 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

None of that has anything to with diffs, and all cars should be sideways entering a corner, regardless of drive type.  Get the turning done before you have to accelerate.  Diffs just allow you to put more power down, while the downside is it makes it more difficult to get the car to turn in.  (And of course, this is a lot easier said than done on slow, tight courses.  Then you just suck it up and watch stock class front-drivers with no horsepower walk you)

My specific comment you referenced was my expectation to be able to plant the throttle and understeer my way out under full power.  Not enough grip to do that. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ixrfHRQ2LbYCv2qA89f88QSno8yli8w8s0uVnaNfZM0yDecGbLpSvGYXlZWJgbMS