1 2
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
10/17/09 7:39 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/10/14/study-testosterone-cars.html

The study proves that driving an older camry does what we all thought it did... Reduces your manliness.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
10/17/09 11:54 a.m.

Who says it has to be "...an OLDER Camry..."?

I had a co-worker at my last job who traded a 4 year old Camry in for a new one. I asked HER why? Her response: they are a pretty good car and they got a good deal.

To me, a Camry is about as exciting as a run-of-the-mill refrigerator. And when folks tell you they bought ANY vehicle for reasons that have nothing to do with how it drives....well, I guess they deserve their metallic beige anonymous blob of a vehicle.

The only reason to buy a Camry, especially an older one? They are so invisible, you can drive it like you stole it and no one will notice.

captainzib
captainzib Reader
10/17/09 11:57 a.m.

Look at the 3 cars I have in my profile. I've only ever gotten a speeding ticket in the Camry. In fact, I racked up enough of em while living in NY, that I got my MI license suspended for 3 months. Camry = not invisible.

zoomx2
zoomx2 Reader
10/17/09 12:04 p.m.
integraguy wrote: well, I guess they deserve their metallic beige anonymous blob of a vehicle.

Hey I resemble that remark. I also have a '05 beige Town and Country w/ stow and go and DVD.

But what other vehicle can you drag your wife and kid 800 miles AND have half a Miata in the back?

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
10/17/09 3:27 p.m.

The camry is perfectly logical, which hurts it. A step above a corolla but a step below the lexus, it fills a niche perfectly. You get toyota dependability with some luxurious accomadations. I had chemistry instructor once who drove a camry and it made perfectly logical sense to 6 decimal places. I don't think you ever get the excitement when you go to turn the key of "is this car going to start" or "how will the car run today?"

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 New Reader
10/17/09 4:30 p.m.
benzbaron wrote: The camry is perfectly logical, which hurts it. A step above a corolla but a step below the lexus, it fills a niche perfectly. You get toyota dependability with some luxurious accomadations. I had chemistry instructor once who drove a camry and it made perfectly logical sense to 6 decimal places. I don't think you ever get the excitement when you go to turn the key of "is this car going to start" or "how will the car run today?"

Instead, your schedule is shattered by the car taking an extra turn of the key to start, and you book an appointment at the dealership for the next available slot as you drive to work.

Or you start shopping for a new car since your Camry is now, officially dying.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/17/09 7:14 p.m.

I will provide the countering viewpoint for this thread:

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/17/09 7:16 p.m.

Other picture doesn't seem to be working so let's try this:

MitchellC
MitchellC HalfDork
10/17/09 7:23 p.m.
ignorant wrote: http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/10/14/study-testosterone-cars.html The study proves that driving an older camry does what we all thought it did... Reduces your manliness.

And science reveals the other "real" reason men want fast cars.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
10/17/09 11:24 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: Other picture doesn't seem to be working so let's try this:

Wow, that's really cool!

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 New Reader
10/17/09 11:53 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:

Pretty cool, that bumper kills it for me though. I'd really like it if it didn't have that horrible front bumper!

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
10/18/09 9:18 a.m.
CLNSC3 wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Pretty cool, that bumper kills it for me though. I'd really like it if it didn't have that horrible front bumper!

Agreed. Not only is the bumper way too ricey, it doesn't seem to match the rest of the car at all.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/18/09 9:41 a.m.

If you guys look, it's the same bumper that's on the blue race car.

I'm not a fan of it either, in the looks department. But it has been proven to be functional, and he needed a bit more space for intercooler than a stocker would allow. He's got a GT3076 on his 3sgte i believe.

I think my next silly build, i want to do a camry. Here's a more up to date picture of the car... it looks miles better with the new wheels.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/18/09 9:46 a.m.

Here's more racing content: Ron Searle's car.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/18/09 9:47 a.m.

I'm not sure exactly what this is.... But it's a Camry in race trim.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
10/18/09 10:00 a.m.

And the racing camry has what to do with the street car?

Racing cars of any, well almost any, model get your blood flowing!

The Toyos and the Lexus is250 are just plain boring to drive. When I'm in the Lexus I feel my manhood wasting away. It's true that it's invisible to cops, but it's also invisible to members of the opposite sex unless they have blue hair and it seems to be invisible to other drivers cause I'm always having to dodge other drivers.

On a Toyo note, not necessarily a Camry - run from their GPS system. Not only is it highly inaccurate, but it also can't be accessed while driving which makes trips a real pain. Want to know what's just off the track you're on, you can't move the screen. Want to know eating places up a head or need to change an address then count on pulling off the freeway and finding a place to stop cause the passenger can't do anything while the car's moving.

I've been lead WAY astray 7 times by following the car's directions. I live in a country setting and I've gotten so when people are coming for the first time and say they have a GPS, I have to ask if they are driving a toyota product. If they are they will end up 3 cities away.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/18/09 10:07 a.m.

The street car could probably make a decent track toy, but i'm not sure what the purpose of the car is, to be honest.

Rod Millen designed that bumper. I'd rock it.

All personal taste though. I like the car.

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
10/19/09 9:35 a.m.

I have driven a camry of the same body style as the one with the big intercooler, and it actually wasnt terrible, with some better wheels and tires, and stiffer suspension it would be an acceptable street car I think. In stock for, yea they are really boring though.

splitime
splitime Reader
10/19/09 9:37 a.m.

I need to find some info on Tony The Tiger (old honda-tech guy) and his built camry. He also has a high compression 1.8l gsr with ITBs and its turbocharged :p

Found it. http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/gallerycam.html

His other fun stuff. http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/HomePage.html

andrave
andrave HalfDork
10/19/09 10:12 a.m.

my brothers GF has a new camry SE and its got 268 hp. Its a bit of a rocket.

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
10/19/09 8:14 p.m.

Tony the Tiger had an incredible build going on a few years back, I'm sure it's only improved with time. Camry's can be made to handle, I had a 4th Gen 4cyl 5 speed with Whiteline sways F&R, Eibach Pro-Kit springs, KYB struts, and a front strut tower brace. It was slower than slow, but it handled surprisingly well!

mtn
mtn SuperDork
10/19/09 8:28 p.m.

So what does this study say about slow cars being driven fast? Or the sleeper mobiles that I like?

thedude
thedude Reader
10/19/09 10:00 p.m.

sweet camry HERE

heh gotcha

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
10/19/09 10:51 p.m.
andrave wrote: my brothers GF has a new camry SE and its got 268 hp. Its a bit of a rocket.

Yep, moms and pops have one of those, feels quick!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
10/20/09 9:27 a.m.
splitime wrote: I need to find some info on Tony The Tiger (old honda-tech guy) and his built camry. He also has a high compression 1.8l gsr with ITBs and its turbocharged :p Found it. http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/gallerycam.html His other fun stuff. http://www.geocities.com/leunghomepage/HomePage.html

Yeah, his build is up on ToyotaNation. The videos of that car are UNREAL.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EspgCZtE2vALZr0PfrA0pUtW4hX7rY32TTHvqvl4k7t27lA5PanpCQiCrbtPWOaq