1 2
spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
9/7/14 6:27 p.m.

The only real regret I had was my 1960 Triumph TR-3. When the buyer was loading it onto the trailer I was telling him all sorts of stuff wrong with the car, hoping he would back out. He didn't.

To make things worse, one of my fellow sports car club members just got an extra nice 3.

I wouldn't mind having my first car, a 56 VW convertible, back. But it was not a great car.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
9/7/14 6:47 p.m.

That was me, boss. I couldn't stop telling the guy about all the crap he would have to fix. My thoughts were captured here, weirdly:

Was browsing daily truismo, and there it is. My heart hurts.

http://www.dailyturismo.com/2014/09/3k-4age-20v-powered-1969-mg-midget.html

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
9/8/14 6:42 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: It felt like shooting my dog.

This is exactly what I felt when I got rid of my jeep. I traded it for my 65 mustang, and I was delivering the jeep via trailer. Every time I looked in the mirror and saw it back there I felt like I was taking my dog out to the woods for the last time. My reasons for getting rid of it were justified enough I guess, but I do miss it.

fiesta54
fiesta54 New Reader
9/8/14 7:31 a.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: 2/3rds of the way done with my automotive liquidation, but the hardest was today. My garage last weekend had an E36 M3 (congrats Mike!, I hope it's been good for you so far), a 2002 WRX wagon, and my high school car, a '69 MG Midget.

Thanks! It's great. Huge handling improvement compared to my fiat 124 and 1980 fiests

chrispy
chrispy Reader
9/8/14 11:36 a.m.

Only car I regret is the Civic I recently sold but that's more hindsight and the fact the cash got converted into family obligations rather than a Miata.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/8/14 11:58 a.m.

I've thought about selling my projects, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I know that my Trans Am will never be sold as long as I'm alive, period. It's practically a member of my family, for better or for worse. On the other hand, my CSX will eventually get sold for something else, unless I really take a liking to it once it is fixed enough to drive. I can see hanging onto it for a few more years and then selling it.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
9/8/14 1:21 p.m.

When I was younger I used to be able to restore a given car in less than a year and often did a couple of projects, all the time maintaining and campaigning a race car.

Seem to have a lot less time these days, and finally decided that I should pass some of my cars on to others. Sold my turbo Fiero last Fall, and a couple of rare super car type vehicles that I hadn't been using but had been putting off selling because I would never be able to find another one.

It actually feels good! I'm down to seven now, with thoughts of losing another one next year perhaps. Too bad it took me 20 years to get into this frame of mind.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
9/8/14 3:05 p.m.

Since i bought the FRS, the MGB GT does not seem to get driven anymore. Have not put 50 miles on it this year. I really thought I could sell the GT this year, but after 36 years, its like a kid. Maybe worse, cause I don't want a 36 year old kid hanging around the house. So, maybe it's more like a Chinese obligation.

Next window of opportunity will be in five years or so when I get rid of the FRS; If I sell both, I can put the proceeds towards a 5 year old ND Miata.

Pete

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
9/8/14 6:22 p.m.

I don't have that problem. When I buy a vehicle it is for life and I drive it until it won't move anymore. When I get done there is nothing left but scrap, as any good parts have been removed. The car led a good life and I was there for it at the end.

I did miss one car, a Volvo 240 wagon struck down in the prime of it's life buy a deer. If it wasn't for that stupid deer I would still be driving it today, instead of my Mustang. I think it only had 300K on it ;(

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/8/14 7:28 p.m.

I was sad when I sold my 350Z and my GTV6 but both had to go. GTV6 had to go because I was joining the military and couldn't have two cars living in the dorms.

I like the skyline I got now way more than the GTV6 though so i'm not too sad about it. That car was very "loose" and the Skyline is very tight idk how else to say it. Like everything on the Skyline is just way more solid and I don't have E36 M3 randomly breaking despite it being equally old. Transmission feel is infinitely superior too. Same "old E36 M3" electrical problems and issues like that, just not nearly as severe. Just regular stuff i've had go wrong on any car i've owned.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
9/8/14 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

Some day you may get to buy it back, so all is not lost. I owned my Triumph TR8 from 86 - 93 and then stumbled across it again in 2010 and immediately bought it back on the spot. I've owned a lot of classics that I sometimes miss but none ever grabbed me like the V8 wedge that |I really regretted selling. Honorable mention is my Porsche 356's but not because I've ever thought they were particularly great cars but because the prices have gone through the roof and wish I had kept them only for that reason. The TR8 was never an investment car, just a fun drive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VsXnKhmQnRO2RvgRBQr2qqtClQIARNUXnM6CRhfJL6PDZzkQjAK8xtrz2nhdQmY2